Repeater Frequencies for Area 51

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are there any repeater frequencies for Area 51? I live in Los Angeles and could never get a direct connection to anything with my Bearcat, plus it's analog only. Was wondering if anyone out there was running a repeater frequency so that us L.A. folks could listen to the place that doesn't exist.....

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Are there any repeater frequencies for Area 51? I live in Los Angeles and could never get a direct connection to anything with my Bearcat, plus it's analog only. Was wondering if anyone out there was running a repeater frequency so that us L.A. folks could listen to the place that doesn't exist.....

Anything being hauled out of area 51 to LA would probably be done via satellite or microwave. Anything interesting would be encrypted. Anything else would probably be a digital format that you can't decode on frequencies you can't receive.

Anything being hauled out of area 51 to LA would probably be done via satellite or microwave. Anything interesting would be encrypted. Anything else would probably be a digital format that you can't decode on frequencies you can't receive.

Thanks for the info. I'm still new to this, so I'm still learning how the various aspects of this "listening" works.

airwolfbell222

Premium Subscriber
That's not entirely true, the VHF & UHF airband freqs at Groom Lake are analog and in the clear. But you're not gonna hear any of that in LA, except something that had alot of altitude like a U-2.

What radio do you have?

What are you interested in listening to?

That's not entirely true, the VHF & UHF airband freqs at Groom Lake are analog and in the clear. But you're not gonna hear any of that in LA, except something that had alot of altitude like a U-2.

What radio do you have?

What are you interested in listening to?

Ok, I updated my sigfile and avatar so you can see what I'm working with. The Bearcat LITERALLY came to me in the mail only 48 hours ago, so I am still new with using it. I advanced pretty quickly, though. Before the Bearcat, I was using my ICom IC-R3, which gave me a lot of previous experience with software programming, so I picked up the use the Bearcat plus Freescan pretty quickly. Doing pretty good, considering I've only been at it for 48 hours. As far as what I want to hear, I like listening to oddball stuff. I'm not all that interested in the police and fire stuff. I'm more of a "personal" type of listener. This morning, I've been listening to Los Angeles Animal Control, hearing the crazy stuff that citizens are going through with neighborhood animals. I DEFINITELY wanted to hear ANYTHING related to area 51, but it seems that's not going to happen. I also like GMRS/FRS/MURS and CB frequencies. I like event frequencies, hotels, hospitals, media, aerospace, local universities, malls, even fast foods (which I know a lot of you think of as being "pathetic", but I love hearing people indulging in gluttony, ordering $10 to $20 of food at a time). That's the kinda stuff I like. If there are any other listeners in the Los Angels area that know of anything interesting to listen to, please let me know! Also, if anyone has any suggestions on equipment to update/upgrade to that is of a REASONABLE price, I'm open to advice/suggestions.

Last edited:

kc9cra

Take a Road trip. If you are closer to Area 51, you may be able bto receive more. There probably is encryption, but who's to say it's always being used. I'm sure some minor stuff is in the clear.

Take a Road trip. If you are closer to Area 51, you may be able bto receive more. There probably is encryption, but who's to say it's always being used. I'm sure some minor stuff is in the clear.

Well, I'd have to rent a car to do that, as my bucket would NEVER make such a long trip. Even if I did, I have no friends, plus after getting there and scanning, the trip would then be moot. I'd probably go if I could at least merge with a group of online people who also have had thoughts of taking such a trip to the same place.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
That's not entirely true, the VHF & UHF airband freqs at Groom Lake are analog and in the clear...

Just to clarify my post, I was referring specifically to anything repeated or transported out to LA, not VHF/UHF AM aircraft coms local to area 51. Air traffic coms are, as you said, in the clear. Some of that traffic is probably transported to LA Center in Palmdale, but that takes place via microwave.

Wow. No friends? :confused:

1. Ex girlfriend had my apt. ROBBED by her "actual" boyfriend.

2. A "friend" of mine robbed me with a baseball bat in tow at a bowling alley.

3. People at work only talk to me when they need to "borrow" money, due to fact that they know that I play the stock market as a day trader during the summer months to make extra cash.

4. Countless times I've loaned money, only to have it never paid back.

5. I was beaten unconscious and hospitalized by gang bangers as part of an initiation.

The metal group "Slipknot" hit the nail on the head so [UN\]eloquently when they wrote the song "People = ****". The truth is, most people are self serving, and guilty until proven innocent by nature. Most people are out to f**k other people over. I have a penchant for looking like a "weak type"; someone that looks like they can be manipulated easily, so by default, those are the types of people that gravitate towards me, ergo, I've had to filter my life to exclude most other humans....

JoeyC

The truth is, most people are self serving, and guilty until proven innocent by nature. Most people are out to f**k other people over. I have a penchant for looking like a "weak type"; someone that looks like they can be manipulated easily, so by default, those are the types of people that gravitate towards me, ergo, I've had to filter my life to exclude most other humans....

Sounds like you need to move out of the hoods of Los Angeles, if nothing else.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
Sounds to me like you've been hanging around with the wrong crowd. I see a lot of myself when I was younger in that post. However, I moved out of where I was living to a large city, met a bunch of great people and have totally forgotten about the BS of where I was before. I'd suggest doing the same once you're able to. From the sounds of things you're in the under-25 crowd?

Anyway back on topic... The Air to Ground comms aren't encrypted? I'm surprised that ALL their comms aren't. If they go to such lengths to keep people away from whatever goes on there, seems trivial to encrypt /everything/.

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
1. Ex girlfriend had my apt. ROBBED by her "actual" boyfriend.

2. A "friend" of mine robbed me with a baseball bat in tow at a bowling alley.

3. People at work only talk to me when they need to "borrow" money, due to fact that they know that I play the stock market as a day trader during the summer months to make extra cash.

4. Countless times I've loaned money, only to have it never paid back.

5. I was beaten unconscious and hospitalized by gang bangers as part of an initiation.

The metal group "Slipknot" hit the nail on the head so [UN\]eloquently when they wrote the song "People = ****". The truth is, most people are self serving, and guilty until proven innocent by nature. Most people are out to f**k other people over. I have a penchant for looking like a "weak type"; someone that looks like they can be manipulated easily, so by default, those are the types of people that gravitate towards me, ergo, I've had to filter my life to exclude most other humans....

Wow, beef up or maybe learn how to box? Don't be a target! :twisted:
Otherwise, you have my condolences...

To stay on topic, you could always go camping outside of the fence and see what you hear? ...but then you could have camo dudes roughing you up for it!

n9zas

Last edited:

airwolfbell222

Premium Subscriber
Well, since you like "oddball" stuff, one fun thing is the close call feature of your bearcat, while it's not going to pick up much at your house, maybe take a walk through the neighborhood and see what you pick up. As for having an Icom R3, maybe plug in some military stuff. In LA, they have on occasion, Combat Air Patrols (google it)

Also check out this site:

SOCAL MILCOM | Southern California Military Communications «

As for new equipment, check out the BC125AT, also a fun radio that is on sale at radio shack is the Pro-107, it has the whole RR database built in.

While you may not be able to travel to Area51, you find an interesting read here:

Area 51 - Dreamland Resort

gariac

I've recorded the Janet aircraft many times.
Janet Audio
Grab all the audio you want. I don't have an annoying right click blocker or pop-up ads.Also Red Flag audio:
Red Flag Scanner Audio
Range frequencies here:
nellis

I don't publish the Janet frequencies, but you can bandscan to find the VHF ATC frequencies in a few hours.

More Groom Lake information here:
Area 51 and other Facilities Discussion Forum Topic List

If the "bucket" can make it to Palmdale, the Janets fly from there on Mondays and return on Friday. This is easy to track from flgihtaware.com Just watch PMD.
FlightAware > Palmdale Regional Airport (Palmdale, CA) KPMD / PMD Flight Tracker
You need to click on the "more" link to see older flights.

All flights to Groom Lake file to the Tonopah Test Range. You need to look at the altitude (14k or 15k, depending on direction) or the routing. Flight to the Tonopah Test Range generally include KTPH, the civilian Tonopah airport in the routing.

A bit further east of Palmdale, you can watch them train/test UAVs. This is done at El Mirage and the nearby Grey Butte facility.

Easily the best Groom Lake panorama is the one I shot in July 2010.
http://www.lazygranch.com/images/a51pan/july2010/groom_large.jpg

Do a "save as". The file is too big to view in a browser. You need a photo viewer like irfanview.

kma371

QRT
Just a quick question, does anyone know if the Janet aircraft are Mode-S or ADS-B equipped?

gariac

You may also want to track the Lockheed Martin shuttles. N146PC and N623BA.

N146PC has been doing some odd stuff lately. It was flying orbits over the socal desert, then hit Dugway. It is back in Vegas again. I have two threads on this:
N146PC: Lockheed plane now more than a shuttle?, page 1
UAS GSBAA test at Dugway (Michael AFB), page 1

Sorry about the cross posting, but it save me from having to explain all this stuff twice.

Incidentally, I tracked N623BA landing at Groom via mode-s. A PC-12 has also been seen by the Nevada Test Site AOF (Aerial Operations Facility). I had to laugh when flightglobal made the "big discovery" of that facility since I had posted it years ago on abovetopsecret.com. It just showed up one day on Google Earth. I spent some time with the NTS PAO getting the run around since there were no environmental documents regarding the construction. I was fed BS from the Nevada environmental clearing house. Then about two years after the facility was discovered, an environmental report showed up on the NTS website. The only public input was from the Desert Research Institute, who is very friendly with the DoD. They put up a weather station with spy camera on TIkaboo Peak at great expense, but the DoD partially funded it. Of course they could have put it on Badger Peak where they already have a heliport, but then they couldn't spy on the people on Tikaboo.

Status
Not open for further replies.