Burning Man Event - Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerg901

Premium Subscriber
burningman-webcast, Ustream.TV: Art Theme: Fertility 2.0 burningman.com Black Rock City is a kind of Petri dish. Theme camps cling in fertile clusters to... - live streaming video from Burning Man - camera zooms and pans around the site

Looking at the Burning man website, I see mention of BLM Rangers, State agents, Pershing County Sheriffs, Washoe County Sheriffs, etc. Gerlach is the nearest town and I think they said it is 12 miles away.

http://www.radioreference.com/apps/audio/?ctid=1758 - there does not seem to be any dedicated scanner feed at this time - I am not sure if any of these feeds would have any Burning Man traffic

There must be a few interesting radio systems in use out there.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
The federal law enforcement presence at Burning Man is interagency in nature. The land is BLM administered and this event requires that outside resources be brought in. The BLM doesn't use just their own law enforcement rangers but requests that other agencies assist as well. National Park Service protection rangers, U.S. Forest Service law enforcement officers and U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service law enforcement officers make up the teams that are present at Burning Man. I've spoken to a few USFS LEO's about their experiences there. From what I understand they use federal government 406-420 MHz band encrypted radios.

I would think that an incident commander and ICS are used with the state and local officers integrated into that organization. I've thought of going sometime just to observe how ICS is used. I've always passed on that because I can't imagine being out in that heat. A couple of LEO's and a few acquaintances of mine have described parts of the event and have told me they recommend I don't go, but what the heck I should really see for myself sometime.

EDIT I don't think the Reno feeds would be able to pick up anything from the event. I think most communications are simplex or use low level repeaters. I think there is some ham radio activity and I can't remember if an existing repeater is used and if a temporary repeater is set up as well. The event occurs in Pershing County and a live feed for that county does not exist. It would be neat if someone could set up a temporary feed on site, but from what I understand the communications of the event organizers is encrypted as well. All of this is my recollection of threads about the event started several years ago. I'm sure a search here on RR would produce many hits.

Last edited:

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
One ot the members here 74Monaco aka radioman911 for the Chicago people... Is a dispatcher there for the event. I know he would be able to fill us in. This week he is a little busy though

com501

Repeaters on site for BLM and Pershing County.

BLM uses VHF P25 encryption for everything except their main dispatch channel (most of the time).
Pershing uses a repeater onsite (UHF) and one offsite (VHF).
Burningman uses a Trbo trunking system with encryption and a wide area voted simulcast system.
There are no live feeds.
There is a local ham repeater with IRLP node (works most of the time).

I am the chief engineer and consultant for the Burningman radio side of the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.