Just getting up and running and need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonopahMarine

I just separated from the Marine Corps and unpacked my scanners. Radio Shack PRO-2037 and a modified Realistic PRO-37 they were my Grandfathers, and I would love to keep them running and receiving. I currently am living in Tonopah and am not getting anything great to listen to. Anyone know some mods I can perform or accessories I can make to help these work better? I can't buy myself a new scanner just yet, but am saving so i can update my shack. Any suggestions, advice or lessons would be most welcome.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Welcome TonopahMarine

I just separated from the Marine Corps and unpacked my scanners. Radio Shack PRO-2037 and a modified Realistic PRO-37 they were my Grandfathers, and I would love to keep them running and receiving. I currently am living in Tonopah and am not getting anything great to listen to. Anyone know some mods I can perform or accessories I can make to help these work better? I can't buy myself a new scanner just yet, but am saving so i can update my shack. Any suggestions, advice or lessons would be most welcome.

First off THANK YOU For your service to this country!
There's a few things to hear on the scanners up there if you want to hear aircraft on the ranges? Other than that you have a few Local Police and Local Fire Dept. You're correct not much activity there. Look at this page for some help http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=1755 and there's more information about Tonopah Test Range Airport here http://www.airnav.com/airport/KTNX You will need a new scanner for some of the more interesting stuff in your area as those old scanners lack 225-400 milair and they do not have trunking capability. A nice scanner for all that would be around $200.00 and if you wanted top features it's more like $400-500. It all depends on what you want to monitor.

Welcome to Radioreference Forums!

Last edited:

TonopahMarine

Thanks Mech
i know these are older scanners, they pick up a lot of analog as long as i have the freqs programmed in. i have had them for about 15 years, the hand held Pro-37 was modified to get all the freqs in the 800s years ago, but its kind of useless now that everything is digital.

My major thing is if its possible for me to pick up the trunked systems at all. I understand the basics of everything, but want to go more in depth and maybe get into broadcasting. I just don't know much exactly how it all works. Know any good classes i could take?

TonopahMarine

Probably need to upgrade my antenna too, I just don't know all the math and theories so I could make my own. I'm all about DIY. I am just using an old cb antenna with a magnet mount stuck to my roof.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Trunking info

Probably need to upgrade my antenna too, I just don't know all the math and theories so I could make my own. I'm all about DIY. I am just using an old cb antenna with a magnet mount stuck to my roof.

There's a bunch of info on radioreference the search box helps alot. I agree the antenna should be more for a scanner not cb. Tonopah is pretty high too, so not much need for antenna height. I lived there years ago across from the sundowner in those cheap apartments. :) Keep an eye on ebay for a new scanner. You'll be better off having a trunking scanner so you can get the NV shared system (Highway Patrol). The scanners you have will not trunk track at all, no mods can get you that. Sounds like you already have the most you can get out of them? As far as diy antenna try Homebrewed Off-Center Fed Dipole - The RadioReference Wiki You'd have a better antenna than the cb for sure. If you go mobile there's more info all over this website. I built a homebrew mobile for Milair. Works great! It's all about doing the math on antenna length and whips. etc etc.

Last edited:

TonopahMarine

well i was wishing that there was some kind of mod, but i know there are old. i am able to pick up the local dispatch most of the time, but that's about it. I have been searching for good plans and designs for antennas and i think i need to start with a basic beginners book explaining everything because i seriously lack most of the basic knowledge. I want to learn and get into the HAM side too. I think it would be a lot of fun.

gariac

nellis
The top link has a pdf of known working frequencies for mil air. I never bothered scanning the cops out there since I can scan the cops at home.

My favorite cheap mil air radio is the Pro-2042. No PC programming, but it works really well. I don't see any on ebay. They are about $100 or so when they show up. The nice thing is they have an audio tap so you can record from them. They also have a decent dynamic range so you can put a large antenna on them if you want.

Military Air  Capable Scanners for Red Flag
for a list of military air capable scanners.

While Tonopah is high, it also has its share of mountains. But the planes are high enough that there is plenty to hear. Red Flag usually uses the refueling track south of town. They seem to be refueling less over by the MOAs for whatever reason. That is, even the blue forces use the east side AR track. This has proven to be bad news for those trying to photograph planes out by Rachel since the fighters don't egress to the west as often.

TonopahMarine

Just listening to what I can for now

Seeing all the great new tech out there makes me want to go out and get the top notch scanner but unfortunately I can't afford to upgrade right now, kids to feed, bills to pay, job to find. But thank you all for the great info. I am going to try and build myself a new antenna from some old wire I can scavenge up. Hopefully it will help me listen to the few things I can hear a little better.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Tonopah

What was your job in the Marines? Anythig security related you should apply to all the links I posted as well as all the PD/Sherif's Depts/ and State Police.

If you have a weapons backround again apply to the contractors posted.

I hope you find a good job with benefits for your family.

Good Luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies.