Winnemucca PD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smokey4176

Premium Subscriber
If any one travels through or is in the Winnemucca area and happens to hear the Winnemucca police on their scanner would you please let me know on this thread what make and model you have? I'm looking to buy a new scanner and don't want to spend hundreds of dollars if I cant hear any more than I already can with my trunking PRO-94. It has been mentioned to me in another thread to get a PSR-800 but don't want to spend that kind of money if it isn't going to work. Please only post if you know for sure you have herd them in the last two months.

Last edited:

IDCowboy1

I went through there last week and they are either running digital, encrypted, or both. I was using a BCT-15X when I went through, so I'm not going to speculate on exactly how they are configured other than it's definitely not an "analog" system.

Smokey4176

Premium Subscriber
I do realize they are no longer analog and have gone digital. What I am in hopes some one with a 396XT or equivalent will know if they are encrypted or not before I go and spend the big bucks on a new scanner or just keep the Pro-94.

X

xts3000r

if i had a way out there i would try and see if there just p25 or encrypted. i have the radios. to do this. just no way out there

IDCowboy1

I have to run back out that way on ~15th of this month. I have a P25 portable I can tune up and find out for sure what they are running and let you know.

Smokey4176

Premium Subscriber
That would be sweet. Here is the frequency they were using on analog.(154.845). I hear static on it now so since i'm not sure how the digital P-25 thing works maybe it will help.

IDCowboy1

With Moto P25 systems the "noise" sounds kinda like a couple of old dial up modems trying to link up. When you run certain types of encryption(DES, DES-OFB) it sounds pretty much like regular white noise static with some varying degrees of pitch, for lack of a better word. Either way we'll have an answer here soon.

X

xts3000r

what kind of p25 radio do you have.? and will you be passing neer reno

IDCowboy1

We will certainly find out won't we......LOL. If it's P2, I guess smokey will be shelling out the big bucks for one of those new PSR-800s.

com501

Humboldt County and Winnemucca PD appear to be running encryption.

Last edited:

IDCowboy1

Well folks, it appears that Winnemucca is P25 Phase 1 with no, I repeat, no encryption......yet. LOL. I guess Smokey will be coughing up those big bucks after all.

X

xts3000r

is sheriff on the same system. and are they trunking or conventional. i know phase 1 in know as trunking but i have see people refer to it fdma phase 1 conventional. thanks

IDCowboy1

I didn't hear tiddly squat from the SO and the PD was fairly quiet too, so I will see if that's the case on the way back Friday. I'm thinking it must have been a lounge day. It's Phase 1 FDMA conventional, as "Plain Jane" as it gets. Any P25 scanner on the market today will have no problems picking them up.

com501

I wouldn't count your chickens....

If you attended the county board meetings in the last year they voted on spending money on encrypted radios and it was approved. Check the public record. Do your homework.

Almost every county in Nevada is buying new radios, and they are all getting grants and spending money for new P25 encrypted radios or some Harris EDACS equivalent.

Status
Not open for further replies.