Mount Jefferson Nye County Sheriff Dept repeater

Status
Not open for further replies.

gariac

I noticed a meet-up type post to hike Mt. Jefferson in Nevada. I never heard of the peak, but found it has a wiki.
Mount Jefferson (Nevada) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Plugging in the coordinates into Google Earth, I noticed there are two structures on it. Searching for Mt. Jefferson radio repeater, I found this document:
nv-nyecounty.civicplus.com/DocumentCenter/View/21678

Thus the Nye County Sheriff Department has a repeater here, but I don't see it in the database. Doing a FCC search in the general area (anything within 10km) turns up nothing.

At this point, it is a dead end unless I'm doing something wrong. [And it wouldn't be the first time.]

gariac

I would say yes. Funny that I didn't catch this on a radius search on the FCC website. I went out 10km, and that would have been in range.

The infrastructure is about a tenth of a mile away on Google Earth, but often things are not on the money. In any event, I don't see KNBZ678 on the Nye county page on RR. It is on the same 155.625 frequency that the Nye County Sheriff Dept uses, so it could be added as another site., though the callsign is different.

The site is so high I would expect it to have a PL.

SCPD

QRT
The Humboldt - Toiyabe National Forest has a repeater on 169.875 with a tone of 167.9 on Mt. Jefferson. It has been there since 1987 or 1988. It may have had a non tone guarded repeater there before. I was on the Toiyabe NF from 1981-1988 and when we had unguarded repeaters the "repeater wars" made for some tough copy in the field. They tried to use directional antennas, lowered power and topography to mitigate, but it didn't do all that much good.

Status
Not open for further replies.