Lincoln County Sheriffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hearken

Premium Subscriber
I was up in the Lincoln County area, for three days and I noticed with the VHF Frequencies that are assigned to them, we did not hear a thing towards the LCSheriffs. Come to think of it, we didn't see a LCSO vehicle at all, saw a lot of DPS units. Does Lincoln County have a Sheriffs office? We did hear the Roads Dept. on Channel Two and Fire Dept. on Channel one. We also heard the repeaters sending out Morse codes of there call signs. Have they gone to a different Radio system? On that Fire Department dispatch, DPS and the County Sheriffs were there, DPS stated they were letting the County handle the vehicle accident, but again no transmissions were done. Anybody have any insight?

gariac

The Lincoln County Sheriff department deputies hang out at the supermarket in Alamo. [If I said why, somebody would probably rant at the post.] It is the one with the Sinclair gas station. There is also a substation in Rachel. [Trust me, people in Rachel don't call the sheriff.]

I assume they are located in the "county" building located at 37°21'45.24"N 115°10'6.67"W, though I've never bothered to look. The NHP has a substation there. Also the camo dudes have an office there. The camo dudes are deputized in the sheriff's office.

The frequencies are in the database unless something has changed.

gariac

I see they are now on NSRS. But I can't find the intersection of Weeping Willow and Joshua Tree. I can't say I drove every road in Alamo, but I probably have. ;-)

Why do you think they are not in the Alamo annex? I mean you can see their cars there and all.

I have also looked at Tempiute and never found any repeater there, as indicated in the database. Rather, they have a site near Mt. Irish. I haven't been in the area since January, so I suppose things could have changed.

SCPD

QRT
Lincoln county sheriff only worries about local crimes off highways. Their Alamo station is at Weeping Willow and Joshua Tree..NHP is based out of there also.

Looks like Lincoln County sheriff is on the NEVADA SHARED RADIO SYSTEM.

Nevada Shared Radio System Trunking System, Various, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

I went through the talkgroup list quickly and didn't see any for the Lincoln Co. SO. Did I miss it somehow?

It looks like I will be passing through and sometimes staying in southern Nevada more than in the past. I just wrote a southern Nevada file for my PSR-500 and 600 and would like to have Lincoln Co. SO in those radios.

I went through the talkgroup list quickly and didn't see any for the Lincoln Co. SO. Did I miss it somehow?

It looks like I will be passing through and sometimes staying in southern Nevada more than in the past. I just wrote a southern Nevada file for my PSR-500 and 600 and would like to have Lincoln Co. SO in those radios.

look on the top main database with system frequencies..

zone 1-021..zone 1-.9094..zone .2-019,

bfperez

Premium Subscriber

Those are NSRS towers/sites in that county, but I don't think Lincoln County agencies actually operate on that system.

SCPD

QRT

As bfperez says, these are sites, not talkgroups. It doesn't matter how many sites are in the county if there are no talkgroups assigned to the Lincoln County S.O. There are many NSRS sites in Elko County, but this does not mean that Elko County is on it as there aren't any Elko County talkgroups on the state system. With the exception of the Reno area, there aren't any county/city talkgroups on the NSRS. In the Reno area the state and county share a couple of sites. It really isn't a sharing either as it is the state that is carried on the Washoe County regional radio system and not the other way around.

Are you confusing the function of sites and talkgroups?

SCPD

QRT
Next time I go up towards alamo, I will search my iscan radio for lincoln county..I will get a frequency listing

The memory card in the iSCAN is based on the Radio Reference database. If a talkgroup doesn't show up in the database it is not on the iSCAN's card. Also remember that if there aren't any state mobile radios in the coverage area of a particular site (electronic site or tower) then the site won't transmit. The trunking terminology for this is "affiliated."

The county I reside in is within the service area of Southern California Edison (SCE). SCE uses a Motorola SmartZone trunked radio system. The topography of a portion of the northern portion of the county is located at the head of a valley that forms a large bowl. This bowl is covered by one site and as the system is on 900 MHz it is not possible to receive any other sire. Scanner listeners in that area cannot hear what is being transmitted on the system unless a SCE vehicle or portable is present within the bowl. As there isn't anyone permanently assigned to the area vehicles and portables enter the area only when personnel have a job to do there. So the radio traffic a resident there can hear only concerns those specific jobs in that bowl. Only 700-800 people live in the area so the amount of traffic is rare and short lived.

Contrast that with the large town I live in where a local SCE office/service center is located. Several vehicles are parked there overnight and more importantly a base radio in the office is always kept on. This base radio is always affiliated with the local site so the system is "on" all the time for me. SCE patches talkgroups together most of the time, so the local service talkgroup carries system wide traffic. When a winter storm moves into the central portion of California I'm able to hear communications from the west side of the Sierra. Hearing how the storm is affecting the power system on the west side allows me to assess the strength of the storm, including snowfall rate and total accumulation and wind. This allows me to get a handle on what we might experience on the east side a few hours hence.

This is a lengthy explanation of the importance of "affiliation." Even though the NSRS is an EDACS system and SCE uses a Motorola system the principle is the same. I would bet there are sites in remote areas of Nevada where nothing is heard from it for A week or more, depending primarily on the presence of NHP or NDOT radios within the coverage area of the site.

As bfperez says, these are sites, not talkgroups. It doesn't matter how many sites are in the county if there are no talkgroups assigned to the Lincoln County S.O. There are many NSRS sites in Elko County, but this does not mean that Elko County is on it as there aren't any Elko County talkgroups on the state system. With the exception of the Reno area, there aren't any county/city talkgroups on the NSRS. In the Reno area the state and county share a couple of sites. It really isn't a sharing either as it is the state that is carried on the Washoe County regional radio system and not the other way around.

Are you confusing the function of sites and talkgroups?

I am new to the trunking nonsense of radio systems.I have a trunking radio in my car and couldn't understand talk groups and programming them in.

I got a portable UNIDEN bearcat that has close call capabilities.I will have to use that radio in Lincoln county and try to get a sheriff broadcast..

Status
Not open for further replies.