Las Vegas Fire

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Hi folks,

I'm headed to Vegas a week from today and am trying to freshen up my scanner from a few years ago. Can someone fill me in on what channel Vegas FD is dispatched? Is it conventional or thru the trunked system? (I didn't spot a talkgroup for Dispatch). Also what talkgroup does FD typically use on the strip? There are 4 of us headed down (we are all firefighters) and I know they will want to listen in :)

Also... is PD somewhat patched to the VHF channels still?

Many thanks!!

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Las Vegas Fire uses the Clark County [SNACC] Trunked Radio System. This is in the database. I was there in December and was able to receive fire traffic very well. The Clark County Fire Department is the Las Vegas Fire Department. One evening I heard a lot of traffic about an elevator rescue in one of the large hotels.

Las Vegas Police use Open Sky which cannot be monitored by any current scanner. I didn't try the VHF simulcast - so I don't know if it is still in use.

Clark County Fire web site: Clark County Fire Department

Here's a picture of Clark County Engine 10 responding to a medical on S. Las Vegas Blvd. by the Riviera Hotel.

Don't forget to visit Amateur Electronic Supply in Las Vegas.

Attachments

• IMG_0594.jpg
    IMG_0594.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 743

ko6jw_2

Premium Subscriber
Take a look at their web site. I can't see where the dispatch center is exactly. However, it shows station locations. There are three dispatch talk groups in the data base.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Thanks again... When looking at my talkgroups somehow I missed Dispatch on the tag of those 3 groups.. Duh!

bdillin

Premium Subscriber
That is a picture of Las Vegas Fire and Rescue E10. Clark County rigs are yellow. CCFD covers the unincorporated area of Clark County including the Strip. LVFR covers the actual City of Las Vegas from Sahara north basically. That includes the old downtown area including Fremont St. You can also pick up NLVFD on SNACC.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Ahhhh! So CCFD covers the strip? I didn't realize that... I figured LVFR would. Thanks for the tip!

bdillin

Premium Subscriber
You will see LVFR rigs on the strip, south of Sahara, on mutual/automatic aid calls. It is a very common misconception that LVFR covers the strip. Of coarse, I am defining the Strip as the main tourist section of Las Vegas Blvd from Sahara south to Sunset.

emtjohn

You will see LVFR rigs on the strip, south of Sahara, on mutual/automatic aid calls. It is a very common misconception that LVFR covers the strip. Of coarse, I am defining the Strip as the main tourist section of Las Vegas Blvd from Sahara south to Sunset.

The Las Vegas Strip is not technically in Las Vegas...as mentioned above...very common misconception! Most would define the Strip as Las Vegas Blvd south of Sahara. Sahara is the northern border of the City of Las Vegas. So the Las Vegas Strip is actually in unincorporated Clark County, Paradise Township. Las Vegas Fire, Clark County Fire, and North Las Vegas Fire, are all dispatched by the Las Vegas Fire Alarm Office (FAO) at Las Vegas Fire Station 1. They utilize GPS and the 3 departments have automatic mutual aid agreements. The closest appropriate unit is assigned no matter what color the truck is. It is not uncommon in certain areas to have units from all 3 departments on an initial alarm assignment. They share a common SOP manual for incident response developed by these 3 departments as well as the Henderson Fire Department so common terminology/assignments are given (Although Henderson uses their own dispatch and tends to operate a little more independently day to day. There are some "Auto Aid" areas shared with Clark County Fire but it is a bit less automatic than with LVFR and N. Las Vegas). The Las Vegas Valley Fire Departments use a numbering system that eliminates duplication of numbering. Engine 1 is City of Las Vegas. CCFD, NLVFD, and HFD do not have an E-1. If you have an idea of who is assigned what numbers, you know what agency the unit belongs to.

LFVR: 1-10, 41-49, 101-110
CCFD: 11-39, 60-89
NLVFD: 50-59
HFD: 80-99 (Some duplication with some CCFD stations, almost exclusively Volunteer units)
Boulder City: 121-123

Clark County Volunteer Stations do share some numbering with Henderson. Henderson was exclusively the 90's but decided they wanted the first digit of their numbering to correspond with their Battalion. So Station 81 is in Battalion 8. Station 97 is in Battalion 9. I've never heard of a conflict with unit numbers on the radio since it is an almost nonexistent scenario that a Clark County Volunteer unit would respond to Henderson or Vice Versa.

Whatya Think? Way more Vegas info than you wanted? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.