Lee Canyon Ski Resort

Status
Not open for further replies.

sean_

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
It appears that way.

But like I said, just because they're permitted to run 100 Watts doesn't mean they're actually doing it. 5 Watts into a rooftop antenna can be heard across the valley, especially when the building is several stories tall.

sean_

Are they using DMR or are they the C94.8 user?

Sorry, no idea.

I think I hear two different companies using that freq, TAHITI VILLAGE VACATION CLUB and SUN CITY ANTHEM COMMUNITY ASSOCIATION with call sign WQFY412.

I'm suspecting this because I hear the morse codes for two different call signs very close to one another.

Can you pick up either business from your location?

Hooligan

It appears that way.

5 Watts into a rooftop antenna can be heard across the valley, especially when the building is several stories tall.

That's mostly BS, thanks to hills & concrete jungles plus loading-up multiple base/repeater systems on one freq like they do here. I've also tested VHF & UHF simplex range using a variety of transmitter power outputs a base antenna at my house (in the hills of Henderson), communicating with mobile & handheld radios. Anyone believing Bryan's claim can easily test it by monitoring the handheld radio on 451.775MHz/DCS411 simplex used by the SkyJump technician atop The Stratosphere -- can you hear it? Probably yes, but can it be heard all "across the valley" despite being 829 feet above average terrain? Nope.

My educated guess regarding the original question about why Tahiti Village is licensed for up to 100 watts output (I usually find licensed effective radiated power & antenna height above average terrain to be more informative) despite the campus being relatively small is likely because Tahiti Village has a fairly extensive shuttle bus service that transports guests all over the area & may use their radio system to keep in-touch with the buses:

Shuttle Service in Las Vegas | Tahiti Village

100 watts into a gain-antenna mounted on a rooftop can sound impressive for a complex the size of a block or two, but sometimes that's needed for reliable building penetration to a handheld radio, and some of the major properties that are licensed for lower ERPs do so thanks to bi-directional amplifiers & distributed antenna systems being designed & built during the construction of the site, or added later. That's why systems like the MGM Grand, Mandalay Bay, Westgate LV, etc. can be heard a good distance away, where systems like The Cosmopolitan & Elara don't travel so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.