NTTR Crashes

Status
Not open for further replies.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Two A-10's crashed this week both pilots ejected, and another crash of a classified aircraft on Tuesday. That pilot died. Monitoring the NNSA system and the Nellis freqs for helicopter ops etc'. Also keep the Nellis P25 system on for possible new talkgroups only used for recovery ops. Not sure the GPS of the crashes the news only said they happened on the NTTR.

Prayers for the dead pilot's family. Very Sad :(

Hooligan

I heard the HOGs depart Nellis & enter the NTTR on the Nellis ATC, NTTR C2, mission Strike channel & the usual 66th WS interplane channel, but didn't pay a lot of attention to them as it was routine stuff & I was in the car, headed to my favorite French fine-dining establishment (yes, I mean a buffet).

Just as I was parking, on the Strike channel they were using for the mission I heard SHARK ## advise they had a real-world situation -- the two HOGs were down & pilots (personal callsigns "Basher" & "Hooter") had bailed-out. Everyone else shut-up & let the SHARK guy continue his reports, as he had good situational awareness. He immediately came up on Blackjack Control's UHF primary & advised them, but then went back to the mission Strike channel to try to coordinate the units on the ground for a search & rescue. SHARK was able to see two good parachutes, and at least one of the downed pilots came up on the standard SAR channel once he was on the ground (non-secure, UHF-AM, not any of the fancy newer digital LPI/LPD stuff!). SHARK's imaging gear was able to see both downed pilots ambulatory on the ground, & he passed their two grid coords to the unit(s) on the ground, shortly thereafter to Blackjack. Callword CLYDESDALE (01) was in the vicinity, though too low for me to hear. I'd heard them on a prior day & my educated guess is it was a VTOL-type asset -- MV-22. The pilots received initial medical assesments from the resources that were in the area, and at that point, I had to reluctantly turn off the radios & go get my dinner before the place closed. I assume CLYDESDALE Dustoff'ed them to Nellis, as in the 25 minutes or so post-crash that I was monitoring, I never heard the Nellis-based Jollys scrambled.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Update on Crash

LOS ANGELES—A Sept. 5 accident at the Nevada Test and Training Range (NTTR) that killed a U.S. Air Force test pilot appears to have involved a foreign aircraft type operated by the service’s secretive Red Hat unit.

The fatal incident came to light when an Air Force spokesman at Nellis AFB announced that Lt. Col. Eric “Doc” Schultz died of injuries sustained in the crash of his aircraft on the range about 100 mi. northwest of the base. The spokesman said the aircraft was assigned to Air Force Materiel Command (AFMC), but did not specify the type involved or the circumstances.

Given the approximate location provided by the Air Force, it appears the accident occurred midway between Groom Lake and Tonopah Test Range airfield, both of which are operated by Detachment 3, Air Force Test Center (AFTC). The site is responsible for test and evaluation of classified “black” aircraft as well as foreign types which are flown by the Red Hats for tactics assessment and dissimilar training against front line Air Force units.

Sources indicate Schultz was the Red Hats squadron commander at the time of his death. The Red Hats became an unnumbered unit within the Detachment 3, AFTC test wing after the 413th flight test squadron (formerly 6513th test squadron) was deactivated in 2004. Over recent years the unit has operated a variety of Russian-developed combat types, including the MiG-29 and several Sukhoi-developed models such as the Su-27P, one of which was recently observed flying in the vicinity.

Schultz was formerly involved in F-35 testing based at Edwards AFB, California. He was an exceptionally experienced pilot with more than 2,000 hr. flying numerous aircraft. A graduate of the U.S. Air Force Test Pilot’s School, Schultz had also served as director of operations and exchange officer at the Canadian Forces Flight Test Center. He also flew an F-15E fighter in more than 50 close air support combat missions in Afghanistan. In addition, Schultz served in systems engineering for the Airborne Laser program.

Prior to his military career, Schultz was the senior scientist and business development manager at the Pratt & Whitney Seattle Aerosciences Center. He also flew as a rotary wing flight test engineer at the Naval Air Warfare Center.

Hooligan

http://www.airforcemag.com/AircraftAccidentReports/Documents/2018/090617_A10_Nellis.PDF

I heard the HOGs depart Nellis & enter the NTTR on the Nellis ATC, NTTR C2, mission Strike channel & the usual 66th WS interplane channel, but didn't pay a lot of attention to them as it was routine stuff & I was in the car, headed to my favorite French fine-dining establishment (yes, I mean a buffet).

Just as I was parking, on the Strike channel they were using for the mission I heard SHARK ## advise they had a real-world situation -- the two HOGs were down & pilots (personal callsigns "Basher" & "Hooter") had bailed-out. Everyone else shut-up & let the SHARK guy continue his reports, as he had good situational awareness. He immediately came up on Blackjack Control's UHF primary & advised them, but then went back to the mission Strike channel to try to coordinate the units on the ground for a search & rescue. SHARK was able to see two good parachutes, and at least one of the downed pilots came up on the standard SAR channel once he was on the ground (non-secure, UHF-AM, not any of the fancy newer digital LPI/LPD stuff!). SHARK's imaging gear was able to see both downed pilots ambulatory on the ground, & he passed their two grid coords to the unit(s) on the ground, shortly thereafter to Blackjack. Callword CLYDESDALE (01) was in the vicinity, though too low for me to hear. I'd heard them on a prior day & my educated guess is it was a VTOL-type asset -- MV-22. The pilots received initial medical assesments from the resources that were in the area, and at that point, I had to reluctantly turn off the radios & go get my dinner before the place closed. I assume CLYDESDALE Dustoff'ed them to Nellis, as in the 25 minutes or so post-crash that I was monitoring, I never heard the Nellis-based Jollys scrambled.

Status
Not open for further replies.