Rebanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

f2

Greetings. I was reading the Radio Shack article on rebanding and they state:

The first change in frequencies is currently expected to occur in Spring 2006

Does anyone know approximately when this will occur and what agencies (Metro, Henderson, NLV, etc.) this will effect?

TOUGHLIFE

This will only effect those entities that are using 800 MHz systems. For voice traffic it will effect HPD, HFD, NLVPD, NLVFD, LVFD, CCFD, DPS. LVMPD is non-800 MHz. I would not hold my breath as to when it will actually be implemented knowing the way government and private industry operate (slower than expected). Once it begins to happen the scanner manufacturers like Uniden will most likely alter the firmware in the new radios to reflect the changes necessary to properly monitor a motorola trunking system. Some of the existing radios like the BC246, 330, 396 will be upgradeable by firmware updates that you can download from Uniden once they are ready for it. As for Radio Shack the PRO 96 and a few other radios should be upgradeable the same way.

f2

TL, Thanks for the info and local expertise. As you know, I have a Pro-97. What am I missing by not having a digital scanner such as the 396 or Pro-96?

TOUGHLIFE

TSA at McCarran Airport and the ground activities at Nellis AFB are digital. Now if you were to travel to Southern CA or PHX AZ among other places you would want a digital radio. I highly recommend both radios as I have one of each (96 and 396).

edgeman

So, would be safe to assume that after this rebranding takes effect that news scanners coming out would be re-designed to allow for this?

edgeman

I send an inquiry to see if there will be any upgrade available for the RS Pro-97 scanner and am waiting for a reply which I will post when I get it.

edgeman

I received my repy from Radio shack in regards to the rebranding. Here it is.

RadioShack is continually staying abreast of the 800MHz rebanding program. We consult with industry experts regularly and are keeping a close eye on the progress of the entire rebanding effort. Since complete details of the rebanding protocol are not yet available it is now obvious that no one can confirm for certain that any scanner can be updated or adapted after rebanding. Once the first fully rebanded systems are activated we will be in a much better position to assess the impact on our 800 MHz scanning receivers.

EDACS and LTR functionality should NOT be affected by rebanding.
Motorola systems operating on frequencies between 851-861 MHz will likely continue to function JUST FINE before, during and after rebanding. Motorola systems operating on frequencies between 866-869 MHz, or with a mix of 851-861 MHz and 866-869 MHz frequencies will likely stop operating correctly during and after rebanding.

Status
Not open for further replies.