Any Active Mutual Aid Channels in Clark County?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trailhiker30

I was listening Saturday night to an active chase that involved LVMPD and Bullhead City (LVMPD Channel 15), Boulder City (Primary Channel) and NHP (LV-3). With the exception of a Bullhead City PD unit communicating with Metro on Channel 15, nothing came up on the mutual aid frequencies that are posted in the Southern Nevada Scanner Book. Is their an active mutual aid channel or patch on SNACC or NSRS that these agencies communicate with? It didn't make sense that the units had to get info from their dispatchers when they were following another agency close by.

TOUGHLIFE

Government has its problems and Clark County is no exception. Patches have been and can be easily activated between the agencies permitting LVMPD to talk to NHP, HPD, NLVPD. From time to time patches will be created involving the 800 MHz mutual aid channels. 866.0125, 866.5125,867.0125, 867.5125, and 868.0125. I would suggest keeping these in your scanner all the time. There was a time when the State Mutual Aid Channel 155.655 was used but now it will become active only in the rural areas of Nevada. If you are in Boulder City this channel will let you hear the Mohave County SO near Dolan Springs. The LVMPD has this frequency in its channel lineup as well as 155.475 the US mutual aid channel. The same holds true for NHP as they do have these in their old radios which are still in most DPS vehicles. NHP also has the 800 MHz mutual aid channels mentioned.

Yes, I did monitor that incident and it was rather interesting. It is amazing how much traffic goes via the phone from one dispatcher of a given agency to another dispatcher of some other agency often causing a time delay and sometimes adds to the risk of officer safety.

NHP always complains about the Opal Mtn. site near BC which they cannot use. It is set up on the NSRS so that only NV Power and DOT can use it. Politics played a role in frequency selection. In a few months look for this problem to go away hopefully. That site has very little traffic on it I might add.

Agencies don't think too much about interoperability and it seems that common sense goes out the window. I could tell you some horror stories about this topic but I will save them for another time.

TOUGHLIFE

It is also hard for officers to break old habits. They often rely on their dispatcher for contact with other agencies because that's how they were trained. Often officers are told not to change the channel to talk to another agency unless their dispatcher tells them to do so. It is a big mess.

trailhiker30

Thanks for the suggestions. It was also intersting that the chase went as far as it did until NHP stopped it. I guess the topic of chase procedures would be another topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.