Reno/Tahoe Towing Companies and CHP

Status
Not open for further replies.

robe7

Hi,

Does anyone know any towing company frequencies? They seem to be hard to find.

Also...what's the deal with CHP Reno to Truckee area. I'm having a hard time picking them up. Been trying various methods.

Thanks!

RolnCode3

What type of antenna are you using to listen to CHP? As has been documented in MANY threads (since lots of people want to listen to them), the antenna is key to listening to CHP.

The size of the antenna and grounding are essential to have consistently good monitoring of CHP.

Can't help you with the tow truck issues, because I don't monitor NV at all. I know there was a discussion a while back about AAA frequencies...somewhere in the 900Mhz area.

I take it you're trying to hear the 42.48/42.68 base/mobile combo listed for Truckee? I've never heard any traffic on them here in Sacto, so I don't know what to say. Maybe someone further up the hill can help out.

robe7

Thanks for getting back to me,

Yes, I've programmed in 42.48/42.68 base/mobile combo and extenders along with the PL freq 179.9 listed for Truckee into my Pro97 using either the stock or the 800mhz antenna. I get fleeting transmissions at best. I drive up and down the hill from Reno to Truckee daily for work, which is why I use those antenna's.

All other freqs work fine (Local Truckee PD, CAL Trans, Fire etc.) Most of my scanning is done in Reno on the 800mhz range (nevada shared system) with great results.

It's just this CHP thing that's bugging me. Thanks for the advice on antenna's. Would you suggest trying a longer portable or car mounted model?

gmclam

Premium Subscriber
I've got an old magnetic mount scanner antenna on my truck. It is so old it has the motorola type connector on the cable instead of a BNC. I do not know the model #, etc; but I have no problem picking up CHP from all over including the GRAY channel (which I believe is your area).

The key to picking up CHP, or other low band frequencies, is a BIG (long) antenna; at least an electrical equivalent of one. The mobile antenna I use is specifically designed for low band, but I receive the other bands fairly well too.

RolnCode3

If you can get your hands on any antenna that's pretty long, it'd be a step in the right direction.

A magnet-mounted CB or VHF low-band antenna would make a huge difference (even though the CB isn't technically the right length...they work). That'd be a place to start, especially if you're really only trying to listen to CHP while you're in your car driving. At home it's a whole different problem.

You'll only be able to get so far with most of the portable antennas out there. Maybe someone else can post some, but if you get a car-mounted antenna you'll probably be MUCH better off.

RadioShack CB antenna
(not my favorite place to shop, but you get the idea)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.