Nye County SO on NTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

kj5kg

Premium Subscriber
Howdy folks,

I frequently work on the Nevada Test Site. Nye county SO has an arrangement with DOE to patrol out here. Does anybody know where there dispatch center is and how they talk to dispatch from out here?

Dave

kj5kg

Premium Subscriber
No talk groups

Markef said:
Look in the database for Nye County. They are on the Nye County Public Safety.

Hi Mark,

I have looked in the database and there are no TGs listed for the Nye County Public Safety TRS.

I also should have been more clear -- I am not allowed to have a scanner on site. I am more curious about which TRS repeater site they use since NTS is in the middle of nowhere and the majority of it is down in a valley. I am also wondering if they talk to their own dispatchers while they are out here, or if there is some interagency dispatch or what? I know that they drive cars with federal government plates and have radios for the NTS radio system in the cars for safety reasons.

Thanks,
Dave

scover5555

I bought some equipment from another officer that was a former Nye Co deputy. One thing was a Yaseu ft23r modified to VHF hi 150 -174 he used when he was out there. Don't know if this helps or not. I have no idea where he is these days or I would call and ask him.

kj5kg

Premium Subscriber
scover5555 said:
I bought some equipment from another officer that was a former Nye Co deputy. One thing was a Yaseu ft23r modified to VHF hi 150 -174 he used when he was out there. Don't know if this helps or not. I have no idea where he is these days or I would call and ask him.

Do you know when he was out here? The modded FT-23 would be a definite no no out here now. I had one myself (not at NTS) the gave up the ghost after about 15 years of pretty brutal service.

Dave

n7jei

Premium Subscriber
I haven't been there for almost 3 years, but...They used to be on 155.625 simplex, but also have a UHF trunked system radio.

SCPD

QRT
What this is suggesting is that they could be using the Nye Co. Sheriff 155.625 repeater system on the test site. I know there are a lot of repeater sites on this system, one of which I can receive from over here in California.

This is a very intereting situation I had not heard about, a local county providing services on what I would assume is a federal exclusive jurisdiction. What exactly do the Nye deputies do? Do they provide perimeter security and staff entrance checkpoints? I'd like to hear more from those of you who are better acquainted with this.

kj5kg

Premium Subscriber
Exsmokey said:
What this is suggesting is that they could be using the Nye Co. Sheriff 155.625 repeater system on the test site. I know there are a lot of repeater sites on this system, one of which I can receive from over here in California.

This is a very intereting situation I had not heard about, a local county providing services on what I would assume is a federal exclusive jurisdiction. What exactly do the Nye deputies do? Do they provide perimeter security and staff entrance checkpoints? I'd like to hear more from those of you who are better acquainted with this.

Nye County only provides traffic law enforcement on the site by contract to DOE/DOD. There are 400 miles of paved roads and 300 miles of unpaved roads on site. Wackenhut provides the physical security for the entire area (checkpoints/etc).

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.