Driving From Reno To Las Vegas

Status
Not open for further replies.

robe7

I'll be driving down to LV from Reno 4/17, not sure yet if I'll be going via 395 or 95 (most likely 95). This will be the first time I'll have a scanner along (pro-97). I'll be in LV for about a week so if anyone has a pro-97 or pro-96 file that would be great! I've got a very good Reno file (pro-97) if anyone needs one. Interested in the usual stuff, plus maybe anything that may be helpfull for the drive down 95 or 395. Thanks!

SCPD

QRT
If you travel via 395 I have PRO-96 and PRO-92 files for Mono and Inyo Counties. I don't know if Don Starr's data converting software works between these types of files and the PRO-97. I would imagine you would travel via 95 as it is much quicker. By the time you drive all the way to Lone Pine on 395 it is a long trip through Death Valley to get to Las Vegas, several additional hours. It is more scenic though.

I'm not sure of the status of the NSRS for NHP for the entire route so you should plan on programming the NHP's VHF rural system frequencies into your scanner. The database has a fairly good listing of them, although figuring out where each mountaintop is can often involve use of a mapping program as I've found the map locator feature on the database using license data can be in error. This is not because of errors in the RR database but because of errors in the license lat and long listings. When I see a location that doesn't make sense, such as the map showing a repeater site several counties away from the county listed in the database, I use the name locator search on my DeLorme Topo USA software to find it.

robe7

Thanks for the offer. I'll check into the Pro-96 to Pro-97 conversion. I think I'm going to go I-95 this time. I was considering 395 and cutting accross at 168 at Lone Pine (my favorite route), but this time of year you never know about the possibility of the roads being closed due to weather. Meanwhile I'll check out the RR database and plug in the southern repeaters and NHP VHF frequencies over the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.