Nsrs Sloan

Status
Not open for further replies.

billybob123

Has anyone noticed there is no traffic on the Sloan NSRS site. There is traffic on Sunrise and Mt Potosi I have also heard traffic on Angels peak. Have the control channels changed for Sloan or are they using a new site. Anyone have any info ?

Thank You,

Billybob

edgeman

I not getting a control channel either. Not unusual though, I can lose it by moving the scanner to the other side of the room.

billybob123

There is absolutely no one talking on the Sloan site period . I am very close to the site since I live on the south part of Las Vegas I can still hear the NSRS on Sunrise site. I have the same frequencies that I have had for a long time that I got from the southern nevada scanner book
I realize there is a new edition out that I plan on getting early next week. Maybe there is a change and its in the new edition, I will find out soon. I just hesitate going to AES cuz I go in to buy a $ 16.00 book and end up buying a new toy every time :)

Billybob

edgeman

Yeah, I did that too. I ended up buying this really nice small mag mount antenna from them. I bought it so I counld listen to air traffic. But it only works so/so. I was told by AES that it had somithing to do with a ground plan, which I have no idea about.

Do you have any suggesitons outside of putting up an outdoor atennna that I could do to be able to listen to ground/air from McCarren?

billybob123

I dont do alot of airport monotoring with the exception of the Metro (queen) units on 155.880
which can be heard with a regular scanner antenna and sometimes TSA who are on a digital frequency. Most radio traffic is AM and there is a frequency that you tune to your car raido if you are parked on the Sunset side of the airport , but I dont know how far the signal is transmitted. You can go to the antenna forum and they may have answers on what type of antenna you need for AM reception.

Billybob

edgeman

I started to listening to Metro at the airport recently. I like to listen to the air traffic and watch it on the internet at http://flightaware.com/live/airport/KLAS. This is a great site if you want to track a specific flight if you have friends or family coming into town. I used to work in the aerospace world so I like planes. I don't know yet if I want to spead the money on a digital scanner.

I live on the west side of town in the new flight path and I don't mind it at all, I love watching them fly over.

Have a great day
John

TOUGHLIFE

Speaking of NSRS coverage. A few days ago I took a drive down US95 south of BC towards Searchlight and SR163. There are many points along there that you can very easily monitor NSRS sites from Opal Mtn, Sunrise, Angel, and Potosi. It was nice to monitor four sites from one very rural location.

Chances are DOT is making some changes to the Sloan site as I suspect that some sites have better overlapping coverage than before. Also, some parts of the LV valley have "radio holes". I was near AES very recently and Sunrise and Angel sites would drop out but if you moved a block or two away they came in just fine. Sometimes your location is most important.

Back to reading the 6th edition

edgeman

Does anyone know what's going on with the Sloan site? It's been awhile now and I still can't get the control channel anywhere on the west side of the Valley.

billybob123

I have noticed its been quiet for at least 2 weeks I think the control channel changed because I was just going thru the Sloan frequencies manualy and I heard NHP traffic on one of the voice channels. I went to AES Ham today and bought a copy of the 6th editition of the Southern nedada scanner book I have not checked to see if maybe the frequencies have changed from the ones printed on the 5th edition I just brifely glanced thru it. I did noticed as TL posted that they have a listing of various Arizona PS frequecies that I will program into at least one of my scanners. Getting back to Sloan , does anyone know how to search for a control channel on a Uniden or Gre scanner on a EDACS system ? Well I am going to make a warm cup of tea and read the 6th edition.

Billybob

TOUGHLIFE

As that site seems to be handling more traffic over a period of time it was of no surprise that another frequency has been added to that site. As I am presently traveling the Western US in a motor home I cannot monitor it for the time being but I did detect that 867.3250 was added to it. Perhaps the control channel is this new frequency?

edgeman

I checked the Sloan site frequencies against what I had programmed form a previous edition of the scanner guide. There actually appears to be less frequencies now. I programmed them into my scanner and I still am not getting the control channel.

billybob123

I read Toughlife's responce and I programed 867.3250 on my BR330T with the LCN on 10 and I am getting traffic now on Sloan not sure if its on the right LCN string , I hear traffic. Thanks TL :)

Billybob

edgeman

Thanks to both of you. I programmed that freguency into the channel 10 spot on my Pro97 and now I have the control channel and hear traffic with group ids. It is strong too. One thing though, the group id for the control channel is reading at CTL-09. So I wonder if this frequency is actually channel 9 for the LCN.

Thanks again to Toughlife and Billybob123.

Status
Not open for further replies.