Traveling to St george in a couple of weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

enosjones

Premium Subscriber
Im traveling to st. george ut in a couple of weeks and noticed there is a site for the Edacs system from nevada there while trying to program it in to my 396 scanner however it requires me to enter either Wide Narrow or Scat i need to know which i enter and also is the statewide Vhf channel 42.940 or has this changed? this and any other help is appreciated.

Thanks

Enos Jones

AZMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
Use wide when programming the NSRS in a scanner. Nevada stopped using VHF low band years ago. Almost all their traffic in the southern part of the State is on 800 trunking.

Dave_D

FWIW, I've been scanning the VHF Lo frequencies in northern Nevada (Route 80 to Elko, Route 50 to Ely) for a while now and have received nothing but bogies.

I still scan those frequencies because they sometimes produce a flurry of as-yet unidentifiable activity up here in the Sierra. The signal is very strong, though I've only heard static to this point. What keeps me intrigued is that the frequencies always show up in twos and threes. There'll be several seconds of static on, say, 42.5 (mobile radio) and then an immediate response on 42.56 (car-to-car) and then, perhaps, another response on 42.88 (mobile extender). This'll go on for fifteen to 30 minutes and then fade away. It seems to happen only when I'm high up in the Sierra (e.g., Route 431, Mount Rose Highway), so I suppose it might be coming from pretty far away, a la California. Any ideas?

SCPD

QRT
Dave_D said:
FWIW, I've been scanning the VHF Lo frequencies in northern Nevada (Route 80 to Elko, Route 50 to Ely) for a while now and have received nothing but bogies.

I still scan those frequencies because they sometimes produce a flurry of as-yet unidentifiable activity up here in the Sierra. The signal is very strong, though I've only heard static to this point. What keeps me intrigued is that the frequencies always show up in twos and threes. There'll be several seconds of static on, say, 42.5 (mobile radio) and then an immediate response on 42.56 (car-to-car) and then, perhaps, another response on 42.88 (mobile extender). This'll go on for fifteen to 30 minutes and then fade away. It seems to happen only when I'm high up in the Sierra (e.g., Route 431, Mount Rose Highway), so I suppose it might be coming from pretty far away, a la California. Any ideas?

I show 42.88 being used by the Santa Rosa office of the CHP. The units should be numbered "17-xx" or "17-xxx" and are dispatched by Golden Gate. The frequency is known as the "Emerald." 42.560 is the "White" and it is used by the Stockton, San Andreas, and Amador office of the CHP which cover San Joaquin, Calaveras, and Amador Counties and the unit prefixes would be 62, 49, and 94. 42.50 is the base frequency for the "Brown" and is used for the 5 CHP offices dispatched by the Chico Dispatch Center. I would imagine that 42.880 and 42.560 would be very possible to pick up on the Mt. Rose Highway.

I've spoken on the 147.150 ham repeater on Mt. Rose (it is actually on a ridge to the northwest side of the meadows) to a person carrying a handheld on a boat in the lower Sacramento River delta area, so the coverage on 42.880 to the west all the way to the coast from there should be pretty good. I would imagine on 42.560 you are picking up one of the remote bases in the higher elevations of Amador County and I don't remember what sites are used in that county. The 42.50 traffic surprises me some, but then I can't remember a major ridge that would block traffic from the northwest from the Mt. Rose area.

You should try more CHP frequencies up there as it would seem you could pick many other locations from there. One of these days I'm going to have to get up there and give it a try myself. The top of Slide Mtn. and the Mt. Rose electronic site are great locations for repeaters so they are great locations for some scanner DX.

Status
Not open for further replies.