NHP Mobile Extenders on Rte 80

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave_D

Hi all,

Last weekend, while traversing our lovely state, I verified NHP mobile extenders on Route 80, 'round about Lyon county. Trouble is, I've got two frequencies programmed into my BCT15 as statewide "mobile extenders," 154.695 and 154.920 and don't know which (or if both) were confirmed. Grrr....

I'm thinking of nonetheless submitting both to the RRDB but wish I'd a more accurate confirmation. Has anybody else confirmed these freqs anywhere in the state? Are they listed in the Southern Nevada Frequency Guide? [I don't have a copy, being that we're up here in Reno/Tahoe.] If memory serves, these came to me from an '04 copy of RadioShack's "Close Call." Almost didn't put 'em in, thinking they'd be stale. Nice surprise!

FWIW, I've also got 155.655 listed as NHP "handheld radio," from the same freq guide and, coincidentally, found on the same statewide FCC license (along with the usual 155.475 "federal common"). Would be nice to confirm/publish the 155.655 freq too.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Dave

TOUGHLIFE

155.655 has been commonly known as the Nevada VHF Law Enforcement Mutual Aid Channel. Some agencies have it and some do not. NHP has it in their old VHF radios that are in almost all the NHP vehicles even those that have the 800 MHz radios installed.

In northern NV outside of the Reno area along I-80 expect to find NHP on VHF and to some extent on the 800 MHz EDACS system depending upon the status of the new system in that locale. In the old VHF handhelds that NHP troopers had and the few that exist now this frequency (155.655) will be found in it.

TOUGHLIFE

154.920 was used for mobile extenders in Southern NV years ago but not anymore. However, it might still be used in parts of the State that have not gone to 800 MHz for NHP operations for now.

sigint1

Was: joking
There is a NHP VHF repeater at Patrick - (East of Reno on I80) that operates on 154.920 and 154.055 (Cant remember the car inputs off top of my head) - this is probably what you heard - it sometimes is refered to "Rual" - NHP in metro Reno area operate on the Washoe County EDACS system - only very occasionaly will you hear a NHP patch on the NSRS - about the only thing you will hear on NSRS in reno area is NDOT and Sierra Pacific Power- the system they have listed in the NSRS database for Reno is NOT NSRS it is the Washoe County EDACS system - I have tried to mention it a couple of times but no one seems to want to listen.

Dave_D

I'm pretty sure this was a vehicular repeater. Miles before visual confirmation, we knew that we were homing in on something. Drove up behind him on 80 East and followed for several miles. He was blasting oncoming traffic with instant-on radar and shared hellos with another NHP vehicle working westbound. Signal strength on the radio was pegged at 5 bars, right up 'til he doubled back across the median to resume his mission westbound. Signal quickly faded away.

I suppose it could've been a repeater, but then it'd have to be much further east than Patrick. Our encounter started well east of Patrick and would've faded, I expect, rather than increased and stayed high for so many miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.