Nellis AirForce Base Freq

Status
Not open for further replies.

clisp

I didn't care much about them I use to listen to them like a year ago now i re-entered the freq and theres nothing going on .I am thinking i am entering them wrong or something
Are those freq still active , is it encrypted .. anyone shade some light into this please i am using the freq from "database"
i have a bcd396T uniden .

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Your first thing to check - if the system above is what you want to hear - is can you hear the control channel? If you can, I would scan the system conventionally just to see if there's any activity - even the P25 talkgroups will show up as noise - that's fine, all you're trying to do is confirm someone's there. If there's nothing there, or there's no control channel, then there's a likelihood that the system has moved to the 380 mhz band - which is happening at many military installations nationwide.

If that's the case, time to jump to groups like Milcom (on qth.net) or maybe Air Comm Southwest (Yahoo) and see if someone has the new frequencies.

73s Mike

edgeman

I am right there with you. I just picked up a 369T digital scanner programmed in the Nellis frequencies as listed on Page 46 of the April 2007 edition. I can hear the control channel, but nothing else. Is there some more to the set up that I should yes.

Should I be putting in all of the frequencies listed on the pag? Since I live on the other side of the valley (Southwest Las Vegas), is there another site that would work better for me?

My question to all you good folks, is should I put in all hte frequences listed on this page? and is there anything else that I need to do as this is a digital system?

Thanks for the help.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
clisp said:
Unless i am a moron and i am totally messing up then http://www.radioreference.com/modules.php?name=RR&sid=3265 is obsolete , i mean for NAFB .. i shall google for milcom thank you

Google? Hardly. Both mailing lists have links you can find right here Probably a better reference - I don't have the issue, so I can't look it up - would be to get the back issue of Monitoring Times that I think edgeman is mentioning in his last message. I'd also send a message to the admins to mark that system as obsolete, so others don't make that same mistake. Start plotting the new system and getting the db updated will be important for fellow Nevada scannists.

73s Mike

AZMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
Nellis Air Force Base Trunking

Although I am not in the Las Vegas area I have monitored it before during visits. If you are not doing the following, try it. Make sure you have programmed in the step of 12.5 KHz and a base frequency of 406.100 with an offset of 380. On UHF Motorola systems like this you need to program in a step along with a base frequency. It tracks a bit different than Motorola 800 MHz systems. This might just work since one of you mentioned that you can hear the control channel. If the control channel could not be heard then I would suspect a frequency change. Hope this helps.

edgeman

Thank for the reply. Now, sounding the the novice that I am with digital systems and this Uniden 396 scanner. I cannot find the option on the free Uniden programming software ( Uniden Advanced Scanner director) to set the base frequency, step of offset. The manual is not clear as well and I am trying to figure it out. I searched this site but haven't had much luck as well.

I had radio shack scanners in the past which seemed to be a little easier to set up.

Thanks for the help.

AZMONITOR

Premium Subscriber

The Butel software makes programming the 396 very easy with many options. I use it along with the free Uniden software.

The 396 manual leaves a lot to be desired but the scanner book mentioned for Southern Nevada does give the correct information for the system at least when I monitored it some time ago including step, offset and base frequency.

As for the Uniden software try this:
Select system data base
Enter a system name and select system type: Motorola UHF Type 2
Press enter or ok
A new screen appears, select trunk option
A new window appears, select set band plan
Press enter or ok
Enter the base frequency showing in the Scanner Book on page 46 which is 406.100 MHz
Enter the step showing in the book which is 12.5 KHz
Enter the offset showing in the book which is 380
Click ok

I entered all the frequencies showing in the scanner book for the system and heard several control channels. Some talkgroups were encrypted and many were not.
It worked fine as long as I programmed it correctly. Just take your time keeping in mind that Motorola UHF trunking is very different from 800 and 900 Motorola type 2 that has spoiled us with the lazy control channel mode only.

Hope this helps you. Without the Southern Nevada Scanner Book I too would not have been able to properly program this system. Thanks to Amateur Electronics Supply for carrying this publication as I could not find the book elsewhere.

edgeman

Thanks AZMONITOR. Yes, I have been spoiled by the type 2 system.

Sorry for being such the newbie on this, but where in the band plan window do I put in to the offest and the step information? In additon, do I put the system frequencies in the band plan window or on the trunking info window?

Man, I feel stupid asking this. Thanks

AZMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
Uniden 396 Software

In the Band Plan Window there are three boxes in the left column (Band Plan 1) and one calls for the base frequency, the next one below wants the step, and below that the offset.
Just enter the numbers in the white boxes provided and then click ok.

AZMONITOR

Premium Subscriber
Nellis Motorola System

I would also be sure to enter all the frequencies showing in the Scanner Book for the Nellis system in the "Motorola System Options" box under "System Frequencies". This way you won't have to worry about a control channel changing.

Practice makes perfect.

edgeman

Hey, it works!!! You want to laugh, I was trying to set this up as a P25 system instead of a type II system. After figuring this out, lol, I was able to set everything correctly. Thanks for the help.

edgeman

Thanks for all of the help. I have put in the other base frequency. While the audio is sometimes clear, most times the audio is garbled and cuts out in mid sentence. The traffic sounds like it is in a bucket. I am not getting this on the other trunked systems that I have programmed. Any Suggestions?

AZMONITOR

Premium Subscriber

I have just used the first group (offset, base freq., split) that I indicated and had no trouble hearing the activities of the base with no complaints about the signal that you made. You might try that.

Secondly, check your settings for digital audio in your radio. It is adjustable.

Good luck

edgeman

It seems to be working better.

When you progam a MOT type II system with the analog voice do you have to make any other adjustments to the scanner or does the scanner decode the digital voice signal automatically?

Are the digital voice setting that you mentioned found on page 81 of the manual ?

Thanks again to the help.

AZMONITOR

Premium Subscriber

The radio should not require any adjustment for the analog systems programmed in it with repect to the signal quality. On page 79 you can adjust the P25 level for digital systems if you choose. I have always left mine on auto and everything has sounded fine to me. Hope this helps you.

edgeman

Yes, I figured it out.

Wow, does this thread get the prize for being so long for a single issue?

Hey, have a great day tomorrow and thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.