recomendations on how to program the NSRS for NW Nevada

Status
Not open for further replies.

rhvfd10

Hello, I live in Douglas County, NV south of Carson City and east of Tahoe. I would like to know how anyone near me might have gone about programming the NSRS into their scanners. (which repeaters, talk groups, etc... to include) Thanks!

sigint1

Was: joking
There is really very little to hear on the NSRS system at least around the Reno Area - about all thats on it is Sierra Pacific Power and NDOT - Although NDOT can sometimes be funny and interesting - most of the stuff in the Reno metro area is on the Washoe County EDACS system, which is what I would program in - what the NSRS database in radioreference has for the Washoe Metro Simulcast, Virginai Peak, Tahoe is NOT the NSRS system - that is Washoe County EDACS system - If you look up the FCC license they show for it you will find it is licensed to Washoe County NOT the State of Nevada - There are upwards of 15 different agencies on the Washoe County System including Reno, Sparks, Washoe County, NHP, NDOT, Tribal Police (both Reno Sparks Indian Colony and Pyramid Lake BIA tribal police to name just a few, Below is a link that will give you a overview - you will find some people on the site that will tell you that the Washoe system is defunct and was asorbed by the State - I can assure this is completely false - I dispatch on this system 5 days a week at my work - the Washoe system was designed from the outset to be one of the 4 core systems for the Nevada Communications Interoperability Plan - - and it is very much alive and well

http://nitoc.nv.gov/ncsc/DocsOfInterest/2007/NCSC_Interoperability_Plan_Version_2-0.pdf

http://www.macom-wireless.com/Channels/Channels_vol7_iss2.pdf

rhvfd10

So I need Washoe EDACS for Reno stuff. Does that include NHP and if so, how far south does NHP go on the WC system. Might I still need NSRS for local (Carson/G'ville) Nhp?

sigint1

I routinely hear NHP making stops on the Washoe system in Churchill, Lyon, Storey, and Douglas counties but I am not sure how far they go on the Washoe System - if not on it they would be on their rual system - VHF conventional - those frequencies are in the Nevada data base I believe under Dept of Public Safety. I guess I should clarify that I do occasionaly hear NHP on the NSRS here but almost always on an 06-xxx talkgroup which are patch talkgroups and they occasionaly pop up on the normal taklgroups ( 05-xxx) - Im afraid I can't tell you why they occasionaly pop up on the NSRS system - but the Washoe system does have the capability to interface with the state system - one day I heard Reno PD on it - so I dont know what to tell you exactly but normally there is very little traffic except for SPP and NDOT - each of the NHP regional communications centers can actually dispatch the whole state if they have to - before the regional center in Reno closed and moved to Carson City for about two weeks they were dispatching all the Parole and Probation units statewide. Also if you do program the Washoe system in - dont be confused if you here the Washoe County Incline station dispatching units in Reno metro area - Incline dispatches the Animal Control units and the Tribal Police Units county wide - hope you are not even more confused now - 73's = Joe

SCPD

QRT
Thank you for the two links, joking. Very informative.

The last trip I made to Reno was in April. I was picking up the NSRS on Virginia Peak. I was still picking up some NHP traffic from the Pinenut Site on the rural VHF system. Not everything on the Washoe Regional System is simulcasted on Slide Mtn, which is the primary way I've used to listen to the system when south of Pleasant Valley. In Douglas County, at least north of the juvenile detention facility, you might be better off trying the Washoe Regional System's site on Virginia Peak. I haven't tried that yet.

sigint1

They were kicked off of their VHF Trunked system because they failed to renew the licenses - they still use VHF coventional frequencies in rual areas

SCPD

QRT
For those who don't remember, this is only part of the story. The FCC ordered them to shut down the system because the State of Nevada did not have licenses at all. The did not obtain coordination from APCO or the Railroad Industry (some of the input frequencies were on those normally allocated to railroads) User's Group or whatever it is called, and they did not even apply for many, if not most of the frequencies. This is pretty blatent in my opinion. They came out publically only when the issue was raised in Nevada media and said it was "an oversight." That is akin to a tour bus comapany saying they forgot to license the busses or their drivers before carrying passengers.

About $15 million was wasted. It is too bad because they would have been assured interoperability in all of the state except for Washoe and Clark Counties, as well as with the federal government (save the DEA) and NDOW and NDF. Who knows what would have developed in those urban areas if the NHP had done this correctly? In areas of low population density with scarce electronic sites, statewide implementation of 800 MHz trunking is proving to be very problematic.

By the way, I make it a point to program in state DOT's in my mobile scanners wherever I go. I've been saved dozens of hours stuck in traffic due to congestion, repairs, accidents, and hazmat situations because I know the system's DOT's use and how they are operated. DOT traffic is almost as essential as highway patrol traffic, maybe even more as DOT systems are almost always on repeaters and their personnel are usually more descriptive when reporting road conditions than the highway patrols are.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.