question on radio selection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack_Fisher

I'm getting back into the hobby after a few years off.

what are people using these days to monitor the Clark County system?

and how long before Metro goes dark to scanners?

edgeman

I had been using a Radio Shack Pro-97 that had been dropped one too many times. It was my excuse to upgrade now to the Uniden BCD 396T digital scanner. With the digital abilities, I can listen to Nellis AFB It was very expensive though.

If you don't have a ton of cash lying around and aren't really interested in listening to digital, I would strongly recommend the Pro-97. It's pretty stout, not that costly, $200.00 or so and it can monitor all the trunked systems in use out here, Motorola, EDACS and LTR systems.

I really don't know where Metro is going to the encrypted system.

Have fun.

3mary2

Good Scanner

I saw somewhere in the Nevada section here some 700 frequencies that Metro is testing. Does this mean when they go to the new radio set-up we will need a scanner which will be set-up for thise frequencies? Also in October Radio Shack is selling a GRE-500 for approximatley $ 500.00 which will have the 700 freq's and a whole lot larger range on other freq's as well. Would this be a good replacement for my Pro 97/

TOUGHLIFE

In reference to the LVMPD'S planned 700 Mhz system. I can only assume that it will operate in the currently unmonitorable "Open Sky" system format. I would not waste money on a new expensive scanner just for that purpose. Some years back I acquired the 396 digital handheld which I really enjoy when I travel to a jurisdiction that uses a digital format, either Motorola or conventional. If digitial is not a concern to you picking up a Bearcat 330 handheld would be a wise choice. I own three of that model and love the radio. Personally, I think Metro PD would have saved the taxpayers much money and enhanced interoperability if they had joined the SNACC system but I suspect that they wanted sole control over the system and were not concerned about the pricetag. I have said enough. Enjoy your radio search.

Nscalemike

I remember when the contract was awarded to the provider about 18 months or so ago...the stink Motorola raised over it...they felt the bid process was rigged against them.

Status
Not open for further replies.