Scanner for Manchester,NH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roarinbear

Looking to buy a new scanner for Manchester, NH. Police, & Fire. From what info. I've gathered they use EDACS std. Please confirm. Looking at handheld or table top. Best bang for the Buck. I think I need Trunk Tracker. I currently have a BC80XLT, wanting to upgrade. Would BC246T do the job. What are my other options. Thanks, Bruce

Roarinbear

Thanks for the info. I'm new at this. Should I be looking at another brand. or differant model. I don't want to buy a scanner that is going to be obsolete shortly, or limit my use.

You need to consider a digital scanner like the new Uniden 396 or the Radio Shack PRO 96 for New Hampshire. Look at the Uniden and Radio Shack forums on this site to read up on them.

All of your sheriff departments in NH and the State Police are using conventional Digital radios. Most of the towns are going conventional digital too or are there already. Places like Nashua use trunked digital.

Junior08

Premium Subscriber
Most definitely!!!

You are surrounded by APCO-25 Digital in your location. For the available scanners capable of monitoring APCO, your choices are;

Uniden- BC 296 handheld/796 Base
Uniden- BC396T Handheld

GRE- Pro 96 Handheld/2096 Base

Those are the best available for APCO currently. Keep in mind any 800MHz rebanding to come along sometime next year, but it probably won't affect you too much in NH, there's not a lot in your area. EDACS will NOT be affected by rebanding. Search the forums here for rebanding information. Do your homework, and choose what suits YOU!

ronhl

scanner for Manchester NH

hi Bruce,

I live in Manchester and you really need to have a digital scanner like the ones mentioned.
Most towns including yours are using Apco-25,also the State Police.
Manchester is on a 800mhz Edacs system and sometimes they go coded which could be Provoice. If you like to check out a pro-96 or 2096 or the new Uniden- BC396T Handheld or need help getting started, let me know.

Roarinbear

What's your preference

Thanks for all the helpful info. Now it's down to the final decision, Pro-96, Pro-2096, or BCD396T. I notice some on this forum have both the RS and Uniden. What's your preference on user friendly, and quality. This is a BIG purchase for me. I only want to do it once.

Last edited:

BD70

Questions on Manchester EDACS system.

Hello I have a few questions about manchesters Edacs system. What type of EDACS system is it: wide /narrow or Scat? And What should the site type be: wide or narrow? I'm doing this all by hand because I enjoy doing this stuff by hand. It's easier for me. but I'd enjoy some answers for these question if anyone wants to answer them.

morrisr3nd

Just kind of taking it all in
Premium Subscriber
Other choices

Thanks for all the helpful info. Now it's down to the final decision, Pro-96, Pro-2096, or BCD396T. I notice some on this forum have both the RS and Uniden. What's your preference on user friendly, and quality. This is a BIG purchase for me. I only want to do it once.

You also have a few other choices. There are a few newer models of the ones already mentioned.

Radio Shack PRO-106 handheld PRO-197 base/mobile.

GRE 500/600. Same as above but with some different features

Radio Shack PRO-18 handheld. Only one capable of P25 phase II. TDMA

GRE PSR-800. Same as above.

Uniden BCD396XT. HANDHELD. BCD996XT. Mobile/Base.

Any of these would be excellent. I have one or more of some of these.

Hope this helps.

awattam

Hello I have a few questions about manchesters Edacs system. What type of EDACS system is it: wide /narrow or Scat? And What should the site type be: wide or narrow? I'm doing this all by hand because I enjoy doing this stuff by hand. It's easier for me. but I'd enjoy some answers for these question if anyone wants to answer them.

I just programmed Manchester into my scanner.What scanner to you have? FYI Manchester uses wide/narrow.

awattam

I have the Uniden BCD396xt which I believe is the portable version of the same scanner.

Let me know what you need and I will see if I can help you out. If you have the programming cable and Freescan, I can even send you my file.

NYRHKY94

BD70:

When I download the Manchester EDACS system from the Radio Reference database directly into my Uniden scanner using Proscan, it shows the system as "Wide". If you have the programming cable, you can try Proscan for 30-days free and simply import the entire Manchester system (including all talk groups) into your 996. You would be up & running in a matter of minutes. Just a thought....

BD70

Thanks the info. But now I have two questions. Should be on Id scan or I'd search if I'm only scanning certain types of groups? And since I live like 30 minutes away from Manchester, will it pick up just fine?

Lynch_Christopher

Database Admin
Thanks the info. But now I have two questions. Should be on Id scan or I'd search if I'm only scanning certain types of groups? And since I live like 30 minutes away from Manchester, will it pick up just fine?

If you are only looking to scan certain talkgroups I would put it in ID Scan mode since since ID Scan only looks at the particular talkgroups that you programmed into the system. ID Search looks at all the talkgroups on the system.
Picking up the system will be dependent on the type of antenna that you use. The rubber duck antenna on my 396xT has trouble picking up the system from Nashua

awattam

You are probably going to need a good outside antenna to hear Manchester from that distance. I hadnt heard anything from there and I am 20 miles away.
I just bought a Scantenna ST2 and couldnt hear Manchester until I put it outside under my deck. I cant put it up at roof level as we live in a condo but I can only imagine how much more I could pick up if I could go higher.

NYRHKY94

BD70:

It is "highly unlikely" you will be able to pick up Manchester at all from that distance with just an indoor antenna. Even with an outdoor antenna, Manchester is difficult to pick up due to the nature of that system. I live approximately 20 minutes away and have a Scantenna mounted at 35'. Manchester comes in but not that great to be honest with you. If you want to see what it sounds like, I host a feed here on the RR site:

Manchester Police and Fire Live Scanner Audio Feed

awattam

I concur with the above post. I can hear Manchester but its a little sporadic. The Scantenna ST2 is a nice antenna though.

BD70

Thanks guys. I appreciate the help and suggestions. One more thing though, I bet I won't pick up goffstown either right because that's an hour away from me?

Status
Not open for further replies.