Burlington County Wide Area Repeaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

policefreak

Premium Subscriber
Can someone tell me what do these repeaters carry? How often are they used considering most communications to my knowledge are carried out on the TRS? Can they be heard from say the northern end of Camden County (Berlin, Atco, Voorhees)?

BCC183

The W.A.R. channels are used as a "Contingency Plan" in case of a failure of TRS system, or when there is a major incident that requires a "Wide Area Repeatered Frequency" that can come off the TRS to save resources, such as a forest fire or major public event.

They're not routinely used, but they are monitored and recorded 24/7.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
I hear activity on WAR-A3 all the time. Always sounds like survalence and a bit distant from me. I also noticed that there seems to be two repeaters for WAR-A3. Its publicly listed location is Palmyra NJ but there is also another repeater on the same frequency with the same PL very near my location, so close I can hear it without any antenna attached to the radio. I haven't heard and digital on these yet and I rarely hear activity on the Medford WAR-A3 repeater, its always on the Palmyra repeater I hear activity.

Danny6569

war channels

they just changed the codes on the digital war channels so now its gonna be harder to pick them up unless you have the newer gre scanner or the new 396 xt coming out soon the county switched the codes to the nac codes...

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
they just changed the codes on the digital war channels so now its gonna be harder to pick them up unless you have the newer gre scanner or the new 396 xt coming out soon the county switched the codes to the nac codes...

Can't you just run open squelch or its equivialant in digital and hear all transmissions on the channels.

Anyway the nac has been 293 for these, I've never heard them use digital on them. Do you know the new nac codes Danny?

Danny6569

nac codes

i think from what im hearing that they are using the 293 code it was just updated in here last week this should be it 500.08750 RM 293 NAC WAR-D1 Wide Area Repeater - Digital 1 P25
500.11250 RM 293 NAC WAR-D2 Wide Area Repeater - Digital 2 P25
506.18750 RM 293 NAC WAR-D3 Wide Area Repeater - Digital 3 P25
im not sure about using an open squelch or not whether it would work i dont think it would though in this case if you ask me i think burlington county has way too many channels as it is now i dont see why they would need all this but they have it so im gonna wait until that 396 xt comes out and mess around with that since it seems like a lot of towns are starting to use the nac codes more now than ever before and see what happens until they decide to encrypt them also like lots of towns seem to be doing also then i guess were not gonna hear anything at all

jeff

Premium Subscriber
The digital side of the Wide Area Repeaters has been turned off, and channels removed from radios. Here are their locations: WAR A1: Westampton, Jenkins; WAR A2: North Hanover, Bass River; WAR A3: Palmyra, Medford. These are the default channels, each site (except Medford) also has the other WAR channels, which can be turned on and off by the county. WAR A1 & A2 are available on the Tabernacle site.
The WAR sites in Bordentown and Chatsworth are not kept on, but can be turned on by the county.
What's being heard on WAR A3 is the Palmyra Police, sounds like a BS channel. You usually encounter very little traffic on the WAR channels, except for when the entire system is shut down for maintenance, which will occur in the early AM hours, with police being the users. Fire and EMS will use the old VHF system whern this occurs.

Danny6569

digital war channels

i dont even see the reason to have had them in the first place ? burlington county has so many talkgroup ids now as it is to use i really think there overdoing it

fineshot1

I think one of the other uses for these is mutual aid from other fd's from outside of BC(such as OC or AC).
Not sure but I think this mutual aid agreement was put in place due to some of the large pine barren fires in the past.

NESN

I couldn't find the link but about 6 months ago there was a news story in the RR General section about an experimental master patch system Burlington County is testing for it's manufacturer for patching different bands/users together. I have heard NJ Forest Fire (vhf-hi) & Burlington County medics (B.C.TRS) patched together talking to each other trying to locate an injured bicyclist in the Rt.72/70 area of state forest. According to the article it can patch any band or system together. I think it was designed for future US DHS use.

Status
Not open for further replies.