Data Burst on MURS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaymatt1978

Over the last few days I've hear data bursts over MURS 1 (151.8200) has anyone else in Northern Bergen County heard the same thing?? Wish they would use a PL so I could lock it out!

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
You could be receiving a facsimile transmission on murs,which is a form of data.
That is allowed on that channel even though it's seldom used. If you had a camera and a sstv converter,you could transmit pictures as long as your not using more than 2 watts out!
N9ZAS.

Squad10

gewecke

Banned
Garmin has stuff which transmits on murs channels? I knew they had a model which transmitted on frs/gmrs channels. So can you use the astro to talk on murs channels too?
Other murs users might be interested in this.
N9ZAS.

Squad10

Garmin has stuff which transmits on murs channels? I knew they had a model which transmitted on frs/gmrs channels. So can you use the astro to talk on murs channels too?
Other murs users might be interested in this.
N9ZAS.

Yup, look at the Astro user's manual. It lists the MURS freqs. that it works on. I know a person who uses Astro and loves it.

gewecke

Banned
Well that's cool,because other members here on RR have been looking for radios which are "type accepted" with all 5 murs channels pre-programmed.
Is that unit capable of pl tones on murs too?
I might want one for camping!
N9ZAS.

Squad10

Well that's cool,because other members here on RR have been looking for radios which are "type accepted" with all 5 murs channels pre-programmed.
Is that unit capable of pl tones on murs too?
I might want one for camping!
N9ZAS.

After a cursory look at the user manual, it did not mention sub audible tones.

Believe I read awhile ago that Garmin received an FCC waiver allowing thier GPS transmitting equipment to be FRS/GMRS/MURS type accepted.

IMO and from others, Garmin makes great GPS products. Wish I bought their stock IPO!

gewecke

Banned
Awsome! Thanks a bunch for your info!
N9ZAS.

jaymatt1978

Great so it looks like I'll never find out WHERE it'sd coming fro]m. Although two watts isn't that hard to trace?!

Squad10

Great so it looks like I'll never find out WHERE it'sd coming fro]m. Although two watts isn't that hard to trace?!

Not without DFE or a directional antenna. If hearing the data burst bothers you, you could program your radios with a PL if they are PL capable.

gewecke

Banned
It may also not be GPS that you're hearing too...
N9ZAS.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
Reincarnating an older one..

At this moment I'm hearing data bursts on all 5 MURS frequencies. Some sound a lot stronger than the other and it almost sounds like APRS data heard on 144.39.. I'm recording a sample for anyone who wants it. Also there is almost no break in between transmissions. Maybe half a second at most. So since I'm scanning all freqs in one bank with the delay feature off, it sounds almost like constant data.

Gezelle007

Lurker in the Deep
Premium Subscriber
Also, I may have read somewhere that it might have to do with GPS and Geo-caching for those of you who follow that.

nd5y

Also, I may have read somewhere that it might have to do with GPS and Geo-caching for those of you who follow that.
Probably nothing to do with geocaching. If it has anything to do with GPS it would be RTK or DGPS data. Is there any farming, oil/gas exploration or surveying in your area?
I could be something else totally different too.

ICOMTech

Data Burst,s on all MURS Channels,,

Over the last few days I've hear data bursts over MURS 1 (151.8200) has anyone else in Northern Bergen County heard the same thing?? Wish they would use a PL so I could lock it out!

=============================================================================
From ICOMTecH,,
Well these burst,s ,i tracked with a RDF direction finder,, You Can walk around your Neighbor hood,
and find People Walking there dogs, with a Device Around there Collar,, its a 10-100Mw,,transmitter,s , for
finding orGPS, there location of there dog, if it slips through it,s leash,,hi,hi,,Chop it up for These Dog tracking Collars for ,Jamming communications on (151.82/88/94,,,154.57/154.6,,, Go out and shoot,em hi,hi,,
Brent

kb9mwr

If anyone knows how to decode the bursts with a software defined radio or discriminator tap I'd love to hear more about that. No need for a direction finder then. You'll decode the coordinates being sent out from the collar then :)

I read elsewhere that Garmin's Astro uses the Rino protocol which is some form of 300 baud MSK.

http://www.radio-active.net.au/web3/APRS/Resources/RINO

Last edited:

johnls7424

Premium Subscriber
There's someone by me ( central NJ) who uses some sort of voice encryption on MURS frequency 151.6250 with a PL tone code of 77.0. My guess it's a localized business that has radios equipped with voice inversion encryption function and their operating using it.

mm

Our Garmin Astro/ Alpha uses VHF Murs frequencies with a proprietary protocol using 300 baud MSK with a transmitter output power of ~ 3 to 4 watts for both the dog collars and the handheld unit.

The dog collar Transmits GPS positioning, dog (dogs name ID) battery life, dog health and telemetry returns indicating that it has successfully received a command from the handheld unit.

The handheld unit sends various commands back to the dog collar such as a command to turn on a beacon light for night time use and even some dog training stimulation commands along with some other typical house keeping commands for the collar.

Each unit has the capability to track more than one dog at a time so you could be conceivably hearing up to 20 or more individual dog collars depending on the particular model of dog collars in use.

In city range as I have tested is typically 1 1/2 to 2 miles and out in the country the range with rolling hills in a forest environment is typically around 7 to 10 miles.

Their are other Garmin Dog devices available which are dedicated to dog training purposes only and these units also use MURS frequencies and these arenot limited to the "trash breaker" models but even others whose main purpose is for dog training and not for hunting tracking.

And even I do not have access to the data protocol.

KB7MIB

There's someone by me ( central NJ) who uses some sort of voice encryption on MURS frequency 151.6250 with a PL tone code of 77.0. My guess it's a localized business that has radios equipped with voice inversion encryption function and their operating using it.

151.625 is not one of the MURS channels. It's in the Business/Industrial pool of frequencies.

MURS channels:

John
Peoria, AZ

Status
Not open for further replies.