153.950 Unlicensed Fire Operation..Franklin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
I wonder who would be so reckless using 153.950 as a repeater output.

I have been hearing a repeater crossband P25 trunked system.

Sounds like fire operations in Franklin area. I could be wrong.

This a a protected mobile only channel, I see no FB2 licenses.

Other users like Red Bank use this as the input to the repeater. That signal
is going to block Red Bank Fire's portables.

I see many FCC violations on this operation and potential litigation if someone gets hurt.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Last edited:

rr60

Premium Subscriber
output

No, it is an output.

Huge signal, xband link to P25.

DPL 025

robbinsj2

That's the channel (frequency and DPL) which was used for input to the District 3 repeater (166.250/192.8). I used to hear their District 3 ops talkgroup multicast over 166.250 but recently I noticed I wasn't getting it there anymore and was wondering where it went.

I guess something happened, deliberately or unintentionally, and things got reversed.

Jim

Tech792

You'd be surprised how many repeaters and base stations operate on mobile only channels. And some are legally licensed.

W2SJW

Database Admin
All Franklin fire districts have simulcasts from the trunk system to their old fireground ops channels - I'm just as confused as you are as to why they decided to run it on the input of the old District #3 repeater (where as District #1 still uses 154.160).

rr60

Premium Subscriber
All Franklin fire districts have simulcasts from the trunk system to their old fireground ops channels - I'm just as confused as you are as to why they decided to run it on the input of the old District #3 repeater (where as District #1 still uses 154.160).

My conjecture is as follows:

Clearly they are using 154.310 for paging out calls.

So if you have a pager, you will be limited by it’s bandwidth.

One pager will not do 154.310/166.250 (so they can listen to the trunking system).
So therefore responders had to carry a portable or two pagers.

By changing to 166.250 to 153.950 one pager can do both 153.950/154.310.

But without the proper license and coordination they are screwing everyone who uses that 153.950 as a repeater input.

Someone could get hurt IMHO.

There is a loophole in the Rules and Regulations which allows coordinators to assign "mobile only" frequencies as base stations and repeater outputs. When this is done, the system becomes secondary to mobile stations. Sometimes (but not all) these terms are placed on the license as "special conditions," although the secondary status remains whether that's on the license or not. If they're on the license, they're "legal."

That said, since there is no apparent repeater output on that frequency, you may want to think outside of the box: Many years ago (70s?) there was an interference complaint in North Hudson where they were hearing Bayonne. Bayonne operated on 166.25 at the time. North Hudson (I forget if it was West New York or Union City that complained - it was way before "Fire Control" or NHRFR) was hearing it on 170.15. Impossible? Not when the Philadelphia fire EMS channel was toggled into carrier squelch somehow and was retransmitting Bayonne from 70 miles away. A similar story is outlined in Ed Singer's Land Mobile Radio Systems book involving a problem with FDNY's VHF system (I believe it was between Brooklyn and somewhere in eastern Pennsylvania). And, through most of the 70s (and probably way before), Newark FD (154.13) was operating in carrier squelch and retransmitting Northampton County, PA (154.34) and their QuikCall I ("Squad 51" tones) alerting.

When I worked in the Midwest, I could hear dozens of repeaters keying in a big loop when the band opened up.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Yep

That was the intent,to get it noticed right here.

This forum is a much better format than other options.

The fact that email contacts are part of the FCC database sure
makes it easy to send the link to this thread link as well.

Gee, I wonder if that happened?

Status
Not open for further replies.