Noob - have some questions about the Morris County system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LookMaNoHands

Hi,

For the past ~two years I have just kind of farted around with an app for my phone that is a scanner. I am looking to get a bit more "serious" though and have some questions as I am a newcomer.

First, I am specifically interested in listening to Roxbury Twp. I have spent the better half of the day researching and I think I've confused myself a bit. I am not sure whether or not they have encrypted channels (two?), or if they have encrypted channels for their private use, and a regular channel with the Communications center that they use actively.

From the searching I've done, it appears that if I want to listen to them, I will need a digital trunk tracking scanner. Can anyone confirm this is correct? If it is, will this scanner allow me to listen to their communication with the Communications center, but not on their encrypted channels?

Lastly, I am wondering if there is any type of CB radio that would offer the capability to be able to listen, or whether or not I would be able to install a digital trunk tracking scanner in a vehicle.

Thank you for any help.

DannB

Premium Subscriber
Hi,

For the past ~two years I have just kind of farted around with an app for my phone that is a scanner. I am looking to get a bit more "serious" though and have some questions as I am a newcomer.

First, I am specifically interested in listening to Roxbury Twp. I have spent the better half of the day researching and I think I've confused myself a bit. I am not sure whether or not they have encrypted channels (two?), or if they have encrypted channels for their private use, and a regular channel with the Communications center that they use actively.

From the searching I've done, it appears that if I want to listen to them, I will need a digital trunk tracking scanner. Can anyone confirm this is correct? If it is, will this scanner allow me to listen to their communication with the Communications center, but not on their encrypted channels?

Lastly, I am wondering if there is any type of CB radio that would offer the capability to be able to listen, or whether or not I would be able to install a digital trunk tracking scanner in a vehicle.

Thank you for any help.

YES you most definitly need a digital trunking scanner...and YES you will be able to listen to Roxbury Twp. along with many other morris county agencies. And CB will do you No good..unless you want to listen to truck drivers out on the highway...not real exciting there ..

LookMaNoHands

YES you most definitly need a digital trunking scanner...and YES you will be able to listen to Roxbury Twp. along with many other morris county agencies. And CB will do you No good..unless you want to listen to truck drivers out on the highway...not real exciting there ..

Thank you for your reply and thank you for confirming that I will in fact need a digital trunk tracking scanner. I was just curious if there is a CB/scanner unit that essentially "does it all", for a lack of a better term, as I am interested in installing the unit in a vehicle for occasional use.

With that information in mind, I was wondering if you, or anyone else with more experience than myself has anything to say about the unit linked below. I do not have any interest in paying $400+ for something I will use on occasion. The reviews seem like the unit is a relatively good buy, just a bit of a pain to program. Does anyone have any experience with it? Any other recommendations?

Uniden BCT15X BearTracker Mobile Tracking Scanner with GPS Support (Black):Amazon:Electronics

Thanks again.

Coolant113

Check out the Uniden 396XT for definite coverage, the Uniden 996XT is another option although some forum members have said that they cannot get the morris county P25 System on it. There both amazing units, but a bit pricey.

DannB

Premium Subscriber
Just a FYI

Thank you for your reply and thank you for confirming that I will in fact need a digital trunk tracking scanner. I was just curious if there is a CB/scanner unit that essentially "does it all", for a lack of a better term, as I am interested in installing the unit in a vehicle for occasional use.

With that information in mind, I was wondering if you, or anyone else with more experience than myself has anything to say about the unit linked below. I do not have any interest in paying $400+ for something I will use on occasion. The reviews seem like the unit is a relatively good buy, just a bit of a pain to program. Does anyone have any experience with it? Any other recommendations?

Uniden BCT15X BearTracker Mobile Tracking Scanner with GPS Support (Black):Amazon:Electronics

Thanks again.

Just a FYI the scanner you mention here (BCT 15X) is NOT a DIGITAL capable scanner..will not pick up morris county...try a Uniden BCD396XT this works well..your other option is to listen to the live feeds when home at the computer check it out below

Broadcastify - Morris County New Jersey Live Audio Feeds

XD45man

I have a BCD396XT and bought that specifically so I could walk around the house and outside and still listen, you can also use it in your vehicle with a mobile antenna if you wish. The BCD996XT can be mobile mounted int eh vehicle just like any stereo. I have no problem listening to the Morris P25 system on my 396XT.

In terms of mobile mounted hardware that can do it all, you would need to get a scanner and a radio, can't use just one piece of hardware. You can use amateur radio gear to listen to conventional frequencies and then talk on amateur frequencies. You just need to make sure the radio can wide band recieve which most new units will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.