Summit Fire Repeater (new)

Status
Not open for further replies.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
For as long as I can recall Summit Fire has been simplex on 154.175.

I have been hearing both sides (FB2) as of late.

KCZ906 seems to be FB only and I do not see a suitable input.

Is this a simulcast or has something changed with Summit Fire?

Anyone? Morning test is at 8AM.

unioner101

I know a while back I had heard that Summit Fire was moving to UHF (to match the rest of Union County). I had heard the plan was to go on the OLD police UHF freq. (which I don't seem to have and I am sure a quick search through the ULS search will find it). However a few months ago I was told Summit FD upgraded all of their portable radios to APX series for its dual band capabilities.

If you are hearing both sides might want to try and track down the old uhf police freq. and see if you can hear them on there.

SCPD

QRT
Old PD now New Fire???

Try this,

WIK881 Is licensed to the PD, Is a repeater freq FB2 but not in DB 478.5375 Output 481.5375 Input. Old PD now New Fire???

SCPD

QRT
Any verification on this? Are they using the 478.5375 Freq? I am too far away to confirm myself.
Thanks

mdragon

I am (or was perhaps) close enough to hear them with low audio and a lot of noise on 154.175. I remember hearing dispatch for a long time, units does seem like a more recent thing now that someone mentions it. I do not hear anything on 478.5375 but I have the PL from when it was PD so I'll remove that and listen for a while.

I do hear PD on 476.16250 but not from home, only when I travel closer to Summit. So it's possible that FD has moved and is just an equally low power repeater to what PD is using.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Millburn

Millburn has been using FB2 for as long as I can recall.

Just noticed a beep at the end of some transmissions. This is new.

I notice the same beep at end of Summit transmissions.

Ps for me Millburn has always had a smokin signal.

Summit still down in the weeds but now FB2

SCPD

QRT
OK, Millburn is one thing, the have a good signal. So, I guess were all still looking for Summit's new frequency? Or is the 478.5375 frequency my just be to low powered to hear unless your actually in the town. I give a listen and or search from my work location in Livingston on Friday.

Last edited:

Moose

Maybe I'm missing something regarding this thread, however, I monitored Summit this morning while they were at a water leak and then again during the 8am testing. Nothing seems to have changed as far as I
can hear.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Maybe I'm missing something regarding this thread, however, I monitored Summit this morning while they were at a water leak and then again during the 8am testing. Nothing seems to have changed as far as I
can hear.
154.175 has always been simplex, It is now a repeater.

The license is for Simplex, we are trying to figure out if it is a
patch to UHF.

If you are close to Summit you would have heard both sides on simplex.

Now, for those of us that are further away we can hear the "repeated" or patched
transmissions.

SCPD

QRT
Were getting closer which is good. Their VHF frequency is now repeaterized. Understood. Now the harder part...is finding the repeater input frequency? Should also be VHF. It would be a rare case if they were using an UHF as input similar to a cross band repeater.

Ken

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
If 154.175 is being used to broadcast a patch from UHF, then that is not FB2 operation, it's FB.

There is a distinct difference between a true repeater, which rebroadcasts an input frequency, and a base station being used to broadcast a signal from another source. Whether that other source is a true repeater or not is irrelevant. In this case, if the voted output from a UHF repeater is being patched to 154.175 so that both sides of the conversation from a new frequency can be monitored on VHF, then it's FB operation and is within the license parameters.

Find the UHF repeater, listen to the output and input to verify that the repeater is actually on UHF and not VHF, and you've found your answer.

Moose

154.175 has always been simplex, It is now a repeater.

The license is for Simplex, we are trying to figure out if it is a
patch to UHF.

If you are close to Summit you would have heard both sides on simplex.

Now, for those of us that are further away we can hear the "repeated" or patched
transmissions.

Very close in fact. Thanks for the explanation. Much appreciated.

SCPD

QRT
Where is it?

Has anybody checked the three other FB2 (Repeater) licensed frequencies under the WQDR764 call sign?

It's quite possible the town has allocated one of the above frequencies for FD use and has patched it over to the VHF FD frequency:roll:?

Since 476.1625 Is already Police Dispatch/

Ken

mdragon

Did hear dispatch and chief units on 154.175 PL 114.8 this afternoon, but only was coming in clearly because I was on the third floor. UHF channels I wasn't picking up anything at the time. Then closer to 6:30pm I heard someone doing unit radio checks on 478.5375 PL 123.0. I don't think there was anything on 154 at the same time, but I'm not sure about that. Some of the units were Rescue Chauffeur, Rescue Assistant, Battalion(I think) 3. I only picked it up right near the peak of the First Watchung Mountain, totally lost it going from the west side to the east side so I'm pretty sure it was west of that, but no idea if it was Summit.

Moose

Did hear dispatch and chief units on 154.175 PL 114.8 this afternoon, but only was coming in clearly because I was on the third floor. UHF channels I wasn't picking up anything at the time. Then closer to 6:30pm I heard someone doing unit radio checks on 478.5375 PL 123.0. I don't think there was anything on 154 at the same time, but I'm not sure about that. Some of the units were Rescue Chauffeur, Rescue Assistant, Battalion(I think) 3. I only picked it up right near the peak of the First Watchung Mountain, totally lost it going from the west side to the east side so I'm pretty sure it was west of that, but no idea if it was Summit.

478.5375 PL123.0 is correct. Have it on now listening to both side of Summit's fire call to Iris Road
at 0821.

Last edited:

mdragon

478.5375 PL123.0 is correct. Have it on now listening to both side of Summit's fire call to Iris Road
at 0821.

Interesting, not picking anything up here on that freq for the same call. So still very limited range even though it's a repeater now.

Moose

My antenna is in line of sight with Summit's. Signal was moderate and clear, but not as strong as 154.175

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Patch

at 0821.

So then it would appear that 154.175(FB) is a full time patch linked to 478.5375(R).

This patch is allowing both sides to be heard on VHF.

The patch then let's Millburn Fire listen in and perhaps not change VHF pagers in Summit.

Of course all the other simplex users such as Monmouth and Mercer will get double
the amount of traffic as they are co-channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.