Lambertville Fire UHF Freq

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doug17

Any know what they are using now ...... They have a new Channel on UHF and I have not seen it listed in the FCC data base...

KC2JS

Feed Provider
My understanding is that they use UHF MotoTRBO for fireground operations.

Doug17

Odd There is only one system up and it is a Personal one ??? It has been know as a bad Ideal to use Digital for PS .... 3 Band's for a Department is a disaster waiting to happen ... Wonder who paid for this as this is the 2nd Radio band the Department has bought new Radios for. The VHF ones the have now the personnel don't know even how to use those right and the Mutual Aid company's don't have access to them . I will have to set my record up for this and see how it plays out ....

KC2JS

Feed Provider
Hunterdon is planning to move fire from low band to uhf. Many departments in the county are using uhf for fireground already.

There are many posts on this board and others about using digital for fireground already. NFPA suggests simplex analog for fire scene operations.

Doug17

I am the Hunterdon County ARES Coordinator. The switch to UHF is going to be a long process. There is no Official Plan at this time to move the Fire off Low Band. Departments at this time are developing there own FG channels. The County can not switch to a new system till there is money to Replace all Department Radios and right now there is none.

The UHF system is a test system and if you check they lost 2 of the channels they had from the FCC data base.

As for Lambertville being on a Turbo system I don't see that were this this info come from ?

There is no FD in Hunterdon on a Digital system for FG as mutual aid company's do not have the radios nor the money to get radios for such.They use Fire 9 Simplex a lot as that is a little use channel and Raritan has built out its own FG system with Cross-Band repeater's.

Hunterdon needs a new system for the Fire Service and there is a lot of post about what they are doing but most of it is inaccurate. If you or anyone else have other info unless it is from the County Coordinator I would assume it to be speculation. We can all hope they get a better system as the Low Band is way out of Date ...........

Coolant113

Hunterdons whole radio system is confusing and seems very unorganized between the channels they dispatch on and certain channels that are simulcasted. Why not just make county FG Operation Channels that all m/a companies have access to. Very similar to what warren county just recently started doing. Assigning ops channels on a per-call basis. Saves confusion and time by not having to flip thru each towns FG individually. To me that just makes more sense. And I'm sure that would save a lot of money. My Two Cents

Doug17

The County does not seem to have control of the Local Departments and they are doing what they want to do now. NJ is a Home Rule State and some Fire Company's are taking advantage of it. If you look at Camden County you do not see this.
At some point a civilian or a fire fighter will get seriously hurt and it will make the papers and then they will realize how bad it is...

To give you a good example a month ago Lambertville had a 3 alarm fire the Chief could not get a truck to charge a line as he was calling on Fire 9 and the Engine did not have a VHF radio as it was a Mutual Aid engine.So someone had to Run 2 blocks to tell him to charge it.

I am very familiar with the mind set in Lambertville as far as why they are doing what they are and it is through ill advice from a Ham radio Operator.

Coolant113

The County does not seem to have control of the Local Departments and they are doing what they want to do now. NJ is a Home Rule State and some Fire Company's are taking advantage of it. If you look at Camden County you do not see this.
At some point a civilian or a fire fighter will get seriously hurt and it will make the papers and then they will realize how bad it is...

To give you a good example a month ago Lambertville had a 3 alarm fire the Chief could not get a truck to charge a line as he was calling on Fire 9 and the Engine did not have a VHF radio as it was a Mutual Aid engine.So someone had to Run 2 blocks to tell him to charge it.

I am very familiar with the mind set in Lambertville as far as why they are doing what they are and it is through ill advice from a Ham radio Operator.

It's sad the stuff that they do.. Wasteful spending on unnecessary radios, which in turn will cause a FF related injury due to incompatible radios and honestly pure stupidity by the ones who are in charge of decisions like this. Somebody should take this up before the local council and do something about it.

I'm one for county control over Fire/EMS/Police Dispatching and County control over the radio systems they use. Look at Morris County, they have one of the most solid most organized radio plans I've ever seen. They have control over everything. They have predetermined ops channels that even the m/a units for towns that are not on the county system have access to due to the ONE radio that they have installed in there trucks. Something just doesn't seem right in hunterdon, somebody needs to step up and say enough is enough with this. Pouring money into useless things that in turn is just going to jeopardize the First Responders safety and ultimately the residents. Hunterdon Communications needs to completely regain control of everything related to the communications system and come up with one unified system, using one technology wether it be analog or digital (analog I'm assuming) and go with it. Instead of half assing and getting a new technology while still supporting an old dinosaur radio system which just runs into problems when supporting both. Forget about the simulcasting across multiple channels and get a "one site" system that the same channel is used wether your operating in the far south of the county as opposed to the extreme north of the county. County alerting needs to be done on a single channel that does not allow the keying up of any field radios and should be completely talk free unless its a page from county. IMO Hunterdon medics need there own dispatch channel, but that's up for argument as I'm not to familiar with them. Hunterdon really needs to get into the 21st century of radio communications and spending habits.

Doug17

Found out they are running a Digital System.. None of the Mutual Aid company's have radios for this. This is a huge liability to the towns people time to send this info up the chain and move out of Lambertville before someone gets Killed.

3 bands 3 Different Radios and the County use's only 1 for Fire no wonder the volunteer fire service is having a higher number of Line of Duty issue's .

Status
Not open for further replies.