looks like montclair might join 700mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does "the ability of multiple carriers to join the system as opposed to being married to one carrier" mean?

Also, NJDOT currently the only user? I thought the system had several talk groups already.

Last edited:

GM

Premium Subscriber
I believe the article meant to say: "The ability to use multiple vendor's equipment (Motorola, Harris, ef Johnson, and other P25 equipment manufacturers) on the system to find the lowest price possible for the town;" and yes, the Palisades Interstate Parkway Police are on this State TRS as well (which was also omitted).

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
If I remember correctly, they started using it in October 2005. The PD really hate this system. Evidently there are a lot of dead spots. The PBA have filed numerous grievances relative to officer safety, and are looking for something that works. From what I'm hearing, Montclair fire will stay conventional, and the Montclair ambulance unit will have to fend for themselves. MAU is trying, without success, for a VHF frequency, and has been told they will have to foot the bill if they join NJPSIC. Stat tuned!

BIODTL1997

Premium Subscriber
Subscribing to this one! Their system is a POS. It's pathetic how many radio failures they log into the cad on a daily basis. Given the amount of shootings happening lately I feel very frustrated for them.

SCPD

QRT
Montclair Options

If I remember correctly, they started using it in October 2005. The PD really hate this system. Evidently there are a lot of dead spots. The PBA have filed numerous grievances relative to officer safety, and are looking for something that works. From what I'm hearing, Montclair fire will stay conventional, and the Montclair ambulance unit will have to fend for themselves. MAU is trying, without success, for a VHF frequency, and has been told they will have to foot the bill if they join NJPSIC. Stat tuned!

As to the MAU, Montclair is still licensed for three VHF frequencies, 2 are from their old VHF police repeater system KEB238 158.7900/156.090 now listed with NFM emissions perhaps used as mobile extenders. Some hesitation due to the fact these frequencies are close to ones used in NW Bergen County??
Also WPES849 154.040 Now licensed for NFM, MOTOTORBO or P25 could be considered?
And there is KTG734 159.1650 NFM The old PD Ch 2 and DPW.

YY_5773

Alarmguy

Former Alarm Guy, turned Radio guy
Premium Subscriber
Correct 156.0900 is an input for Wyckoff/Midland Park to 158.7825. 158.7900 used to be licensed to Wyckoff as a car to car frequency. Montclair had a very strong signal on 158.7900 and it was bleeding over to 158.7825. I hear a morse ID on 158.7900 with no PL.

SCPD

QRT
Also WPES849 154.040 Now licensed for NFM, MOTOTORBO or P25 could be considered? And there is KTG734 159.1650 NFM The old PD Ch 2 and DPW.

OK, 158.790/156.090 Repeater pair is out of consideration as for the stated reasons in the previous posts.

What about 159.1650 and 154.0400? Nah! they want the New Toy (700Mhz) Just curious.

SCPD

QRT
montclair

What they should do is get an analog system and put the antenna up real high!The 700MHZ PSIC is going to work the same as their existing system.

BIODTL1997

Premium Subscriber
I think if they subscribed to the state system, it would be setup correctly. Most of the coverage issues with the current 500MHz system exist on the western edge of town. That would not be the case with the state network since that monster tower at eagle rock sits right up on that ridge.

I think if they subscribed to the state system, it would be setup correctly. Most of the coverage issues with the current 500MHz system exist on the western edge of town. That would not be the case with the state network since that monster tower at eagle rock sits right up on that ridge.

Paradoxically, the main transmit/receive site for the existing Montclair PD system sits on top of the First Watchung Mountain, just north of the Claridge House II.

Why then are there coverage issues on the municipality's western border?

BIODTL1997

Premium Subscriber
This is a wonderful question. My guess is that the antenna on the water tower up there is directional and pointed to cover upper Montclair. I know that portables are useless in the area of the top of Claremont ave towards pompton ave in Verona. Same is true for mobiles closer to the Bloomfield ave area up there. Mobiles are also dead in the area of south mountain and up snake road into eagle rock reservation. It's crazy that I can barely make out comms from mt prospect ave and Bloomfield ave, .5 miles from the antenna at PD HQ but do not drop a packet in union beach, 30+ miles south.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is a wonderful question. My guess is that the antenna on the water tower up there is directional and pointed to cover upper Montclair. I know that portables are useless in the area of the top of Claremont ave towards pompton ave in Verona. Same is true for mobiles closer to the Bloomfield ave area up there. Mobiles are also dead in the area of south mountain and up snake road into eagle rock reservation. It's crazy that I can barely make out comms from mt prospect ave and Bloomfield ave, .5 miles from the antenna at PD HQ but do not drop a packet in union beach, 30+ miles south.

I have been to that site and can't recall seeing anything but omni antennas mounted there. There is a possibility that they have a defective antenna, or should be employing an antenna with down tilt. Just out of curiosity, what sort of coverage does Glen Ridge have within Montclair? Isn't their repeater located on top of Mountainside Hospital?

SCPD

QRT

It's still called Snake Road by the locals?? I left Montclair (Eagle Rock Way) in 1962 and that was one of the favorite downhill bicycle runs - and I have the scars to prove it! Sorry - off topic I know, biut couldn't resist.

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
Just saw an article on the front page of the Montclair Times detailing all their radio issues. The article confirms they are indeed trying to make the move to the NJICS system, if the town approves the funding.

rpurchases10

| MEMBER |
Premium Subscriber
Who designed/installed the old system? Name Start with "W" --- ROFLMAO.

If it's who I think it is/was, maybe a switch from 300 ohm "twinlead" tv antenna cable (or whatever was in the closest dumpster on the day of install) and probably a magnet mount scanner antenna, to properly installed and terminated hardline ("heliax") and decent antenna/duplexer/equipment might just make a world of difference.

Then again, isn't the "T-Band" getting auctioned off in a few years to pay for all of the Obama vacations? <G>

Last edited:

BIODTL1997

Premium Subscriber
I believe Montclair's TRS was built and is maintained by Pinnacle out of Fair Lawn.

Glen Ridge coverage in Montclair is fine although I do not believe they have a tower at Mountainside. During Sandy, their radios went down when HQ lost power, and Mountainside was 100% up and running throughout the storm.

Yup, snake road is still alive :)

Status
Not open for further replies.