Unknown jets in Central NJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

SOSull66

Premium Subscriber
I was playing golf across the road from Belmar/Allaire airport here in Central NJ (BLM).
This happened around 3:30 EST this afternoon.
I was walking up the first fairway with my buddies when there was a giant ground shaking roar.
Just over the trees came three jets...full military power very close together taking off in tight formation.

It surprised me a bit because we play golf at this place every week and we've never heard a noise like this. This airport is normally very quiet. Mostly little prop planes towing banners over the Jersey beaches with occasionaly biz jets. It doesn't have a big runway.

They then split off looping in different directions to generally head northeast.

It was over very quickly but here are my impressions in the short time they were visable:

I thought this looked like a military scramble manuever...jets taking off close and then heading different directions.

The jets were not a type I am familiar with....didn't seem to be your usual F-15, F-16...etc I think I can identify most of those on site. Based on the performance I saw these were military jets but not familiar ones. Perhaps a non-US design or an older design.

They did not have clear US military markings and were not painted the usual haze gray. They did appear to have a black, white, and gray paint scheme. Looked sort of like Winter Camo

I saw three jets, there could have been more if they peeled off the other direction on takeoff.

There are no air shows scheduled around here that I know about.

Can anyone help me ID who these jets were?

My initial thoughts are: A civilian demonstration team, a US aggressor squadron, or maybe a visiting foreign team

Thanks.

Tech792

Years ago, there was a guy who owned a few restored Russian MIGs that he kept at Allaire Airport. Unknown if they're still there. They were flyable too.

riveter

Premium Subscriber
That does sound like the VMF paint scheme.

SOSull66

Premium Subscriber
It was pretty cool.

I am starting to wonder if it was the Black Diamond jet team.

It seemed more organized then just a guy who owns some jets.

I was thinking about this and Coast Guard helos do stop for fuel at Allaire.
So they must be set up to fuel federal aircraft.
Maybe it was an aggressor squadron.....

Sure would like to know.

Maybe someone with one of those plane tracker boxes can tell us.

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
I saw them fly past my house in Toms River. They looked to be white and they were over the bay heading north. I've seen fighter jets flying around from time to time.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
Confirmed

I am at KBLM now.

The employees at the airport advise the team(Black Diamonds) were here last week.

They were hired for a private airshow at a home near Monmouth Beach \ Rumson this past weekend.

Somehow I missed that invitation.

Status
Not open for further replies.