Stone Harbor Fire PL

Status
Not open for further replies.

camco911

Premium Subscriber
Ok, it's listed for Stone Harbor FD Fire operations as 154.385 with a PL of 118.8. I was in front of their station today for a MVA with injuries and the fire was dispatched with the ambulance. They were talking on there FD channel and it was not coming through because I had the PL on. Did they change the PL?

Thanks for the help!

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Were you trying to monitor with a scanner? If yes, why didn't you put the scanner in PL search mode to find out for yourself if it changed? If you were using a radio, did you press the monitor button or put the radio in carrier squelch mode to see if there was activity on the frequency?

camco911

Premium Subscriber
Were you trying to monitor with a scanner? If yes, why didn't you put the scanner in PL search mode to find out for yourself if it changed? If you were using a radio, did you press the monitor button or put the radio in carrier squelch mode to see if there was activity on the frequency?

Yes I did, but I think they were done and signed off the air before I could catch it that way. I'm not usually in that area but happened to be at the beach with my daughter today. We will be there again in the very near future.

Devilz311

Stone Harbor FD is using MotoTRBO full-time. They're using the 155.145 frequency listed in the database.

camco911

Premium Subscriber
Ok, so they can not be monitored? Or can you listen to them on 155.145?

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Ok, so they can not be monitored? Or can you listen to them on 155.145?

If they are using TURBO they can not be monitored with any current scanner.
If you were to listen to the frequency 155.145 open with out PL/DP you might hear the unintelligible digital noise and sounds.

However. if you do want to monitor them via this digital mode you can still do it. So if your technically astute to radio electronics please see this link: DSD :wink:
However, if they are using encryption with TURBO...forget about it!:mad:

camco911

Premium Subscriber
Why would a Fire department go to something you couldn't hear. Mutual aid companies would have to change over to what they have. I can understand PD doing that or even EMS, but fire?

SCPD

QRT
Why would a Fire department go to something you couldn't hear. Mutual aid companies would have to change over to what they have. I can understand PD doing that or even EMS, but fire?

The reasons why's are theoretically numerous. There are numerous subject threads in the forums that cover the whys. While TURBO has it's good points, most likely it was a good salesman who put on a good show to convince the FD to use this mode for their day to operations. It's quite possible the salesman used as part of his presentation that Turbo is "private and unmonitorable"....Well that's their choice. However, they do have frequencies they can switch to on county level that incoming mutual aid companies can use to communicate with them.

Devilz311

Avalon is still using their old channel.

Stone Harbor isn't using encryption on the MotoTRBO channel. If you really wanted to listen to them you could with the dsd software, or just find a cheap Trio radio and find the right color code. But the radio + CPS + cable would be expensive for monitoring one fire department in a shore town...

As to the why, maybe they got to talking with AtlantiCare... Although it's been almost three years and they still haven't been able to iron out the kinks in their MotoTRBO system...

PM08203

Premium Subscriber
this morning I heard two separate fire dispatchs on 154.385. the first was 59th st Avalon. the second sounded like 99th st Stone Harbor, not 100% sure. in any event that got me wondering if stone harbor is simul the initial dispatch on vhf which is a common practice in atlantic county until the patch is dropped. anyone with intel?

wildbillx

Premium Subscriber
Stone Harbor uses 154.385 with 118.8. Avalon uses the same thing. Stone Harbor does have the mototrbo which they use as ch 2 or tac channel. Most of the small stuff is on 154.385.

Devilz311

Stone Harbor uses 154.385 with 118.8. Avalon uses the same thing. Stone Harbor does have the mototrbo which they use as ch 2 or tac channel. Most of the small stuff is on 154.385.

Maybe the EMS response is different than Fire then. All of the FD EMS operations are on the TRBO channel, including the dispatch.

Theroofable

Premium Subscriber
Maybe the EMS response is different than Fire then. All of the FD EMS operations are on the TRBO channel, including the dispatch.

Wrong. Avalon Fire dispatches and operates on the repeater channel (154.385). Stone Harbor Fire and EMS is dispatched on Cape May County fire one (154.130) which is why you aren't hearing it on there. They recently switched to the digital. Yes it is annoying because nobody else in the area has the turbo (including myself) and can't listen to the channel. I heard they are going to be switching back though, although I don't know how reliable that information is.

A reason as to why they did it? They have money and like to spend it.

Last edited:

PM08203

Premium Subscriber
I know there was a lot of 'jazz' from city fire departments that resisted the switch to 800. Just wondering what the fd feedback is on moto.

Devilz311

Wrong. Avalon Fire dispatches and operates on the repeater channel (154.385). Stone Harbor Fire and EMS is dispatched on Cape May County fire one (154.130) which is why you aren't hearing it on there. They recently switched to the digital. Yes it is annoying because nobody else in the area has the turbo (including myself) and can't listen to the channel. I heard they are going to be switching back though, although I don't know how reliable that information is.

A reason as to why they did it? They have money and like to spend it.

Well, not entirely. They simulcast the dispatch over their TRBO channel too. My radio always catches that channel before Fire 1, that's why I've never heard it.

Status
Not open for further replies.