NJSP help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Awz1287

I'm new to programing digital scanners and trunking in general. I just received a BCD436HP, scanner my last scanner was an old radio shack scanner that was about 10 years old and just finally stopped working (not bad for lasting that long with almost daily use). That one I never used the computer to program just manually entered frequencies.

I am trying to program the NJ State Police into a favorites list but I am not picking up an activity. I have tried turning off all other lists and just keeping the NJSP list on and after 2 hours nothing came up. What am I doing wrong?

Here is how I programed the list.
1. created a new favorites list titled NJSP
2. went to database USA>NJ>Monmouth>Statewide>New Jersey State Police.
3. added the whole New Jersey State Police section to my NJSP favorites list.
4. uploaded the list to the scanner with the "Write to scanner" tab

Was this the right process? Did I miss something? Is there a setting or something I have to adjust on the scanner itself?

I already tried turning on all service types that I could, some had hash marks and could not be turned on or off. (not sure why) and I also tried increasing my range to max in the locations menu.

Sybex7254

Sounds like you did everything correctly. Any signal bars when the scanner is scanning the NJSP Favorite list? If not then you make not be close enough to receive the control channel. Take a drive towards one of the closest sites and see if that changes anything.

godskidz

I had the same problem when in FL last year and the problem was it wasn't programmed right with the right frequencies because of the rebanding. stage. I fellow on here explained how to do it.
Good Luck.

Awz1287

Sounds like you did everything correctly. Any signal bars when the scanner is scanning the NJSP Favorite list? If not then you make not be close enough to receive the control channel. Take a drive towards one of the closest sites and see if that changes anything.

How do I see the signal bars when scanning, I thought the just come up in the corner after a transmission starts. Is there a map of the sites? I am only about 2 miles from the Parkway.

Sybex7254

How do I see the signal bars when scanning, I thought the just come up in the corner after a transmission starts. Is there a map of the sites? I am only about 2 miles from the Parkway.

If you hold on the NJSP system, you should see signal bars while the radio is scanning. I do for all my trunked systems in addition to also seeing them when it is receiving a talkgroup.

AC2OY

What is rebanding stage? can you explain it?

AWZ,
If you create one favorite list and you append just that system in that what happens? The first attempt I did only system and I heard them talking. But did you go into edit profile and turn on that list? It should say monitor "On" and download "On" if that's off it won't scan but it should say nothing to scan. If you can't get it PM me and maybe together we can figure it out. My expert here is K2rty,he mastered this thing!!

W2SJW

Database Admin
Download my favorite list pack that's linked in my signature. Unpack the zip file & take ONLY my North Jersey file & import it into your Sentinel install as a FL called 'TEST', then append the NJSP system there into YOUR FL, and then delete 'TEST' when done & upload (after you set the quick key to your liking).

Let see if that works...

mondaro

Feed Provider
You may also need to check your service types are make sure you have law enforcement service types are enabled, i ran into this problem last week setting up the road NJSP trooper favorite list, I had also programmed the ESP patrols but failed to enable DPW in my services. Once I did that I started to hear the ESP units.

Awz1287

I got it working when I drove on the Parkway today. But not at home. I tried doing the site hold to see how many bars I was getting. I had no bars on any thing except I had one bar on the Stroudsburg (PA) site. Which is strange because I am no place near there. The RR map shows the Troop C simulcast should cover my area. I live less then two miles from the Parkway exit 100.
Shouldn't I be in range?
Why am I getting bars on the PA site but not the ones closer?

Thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

I should also note I upgraded the antenna yesterday to the radio shack 800mhz. I have noticed an improvement on other channels.

W2SJW

Database Admin
The Stroudsburg IR site shares one of it's frequencies with the Central Simulcast voice frequencies. You should delete/disable all of the IR sites from your scanner, as they are only of use to a real radio on the system.

The only time an IR site will pass traffic is when a radio on the system affiliates to it. If your scanner gets stuck on the control channel of an IR with no one in the area, you'll hear nothing.

W2SJW

Database Admin
My 2¢? Delete them from all. They are of no use to the casual scanner user.

Those helping figure out exactly how a large system is truly configured use them with Unitrunker to figure out their location & linked peer sites, but they are going to do nothing for you except slow down your scan speed.

GM

Premium Subscriber
Yes, you may need an outdoor antenna from your location near Exit 100. The two closest 800 MHz TRS sites are Wall (Mile Post 94) and Telegraph Hill (Mile Post 116). The Exit 100 area is a known Dead Spot for the 800 MHz TRS. This is one of the reasons why the Wall TRS Site was transformed from an IR (Intelli-Repeater) site to a full simulcast site, from what I was told.

Status
Not open for further replies.