Jersey City and Newark sound worst than ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NJParamedic

I literally live in between these 2 towns in Kearny and have been listening to them on my BCD436 and they just sound terrible. Newark I'm used to already. Missing transmissions all the time, but Jersey City used to be ok. Now Jersey City is constantly garbled. Anyone else noticing this lately?

ansky

Something is wrong with your scanner. Newark has always sounded great. Jersey City sounds fine too. I'm in West Orange.

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
Newark sounds good on my HP2. I'm in West Caldwell.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AC2OY

I can only speak about Newark Police on my 800 they come in crystal clear. I think GRE's last firmware update might have helped a lot of the p25 phase 2 garble.

ansky

I can only speak about Newark Police on my 800 they come in crystal clear. I think GRE's last firmware update might have helped a lot of the p25 phase 2 garble.

Newark Police doesn't use P25. They are analog. Only the fire dept. uses P25.

AC2OY

Patrick I have a friend who lives in Bloomfield that has problems monitoring her own town. I used to have Jersey City programmed in and they sounded fine....then,but I monitor Newark Police almost everyday are they are very clear for me zero static. They only sound strange or echo when they transmit from the hospital but yet still very much in the clear but I'm in Belleville so I'm closer to Newark then you are. Have you tried a different antenna or another scanner to see if it's just that one radio?

SCPD

QRT
wrong scanner

The scanner is the issue here,the 436H/536HP are weak on 400mhz big time!
The PSR800 receives alot better on that band,so does any of the Whistler scanners.You may want to try a Wouxun KG-UV8D stock antenna on that scanner it works alot better than the stock antenna.If you can put a base antenna outside,even better.Computers,LCD tvs and wireless printers also hurt reception,try unplugging them.....
Im in Clifton NJ and Newark booms in here,so does Jersey City.It was poor when I had the 436HP/536HP.
I use a 996P2 which is loud and proud.I had AC2OY's 536hp here and I had them head to head one day............Right Mike? ;)

ansky

The PSR800 receives alot better on that band,so does any of the Whistler scanners.You may want to try a Wouxun KG-UV8D stock antenna on that scanner it works alot better than the stock antenna.If you can put a base antenna outside,even better.Computers,LCD tvs and wireless printers also hurt reception,try unplugging them.....
Im in Clifton NJ and Newark booms in here,so does Jersey City.It was poor when I had the 436HP/536HP.
I use a 996P2 which is loud and proud.I had AC2OY's 536hp here and I had them head to head one day............Right Mike? ;)

I'll add that the Home Patrol 2 also performs very well in the 400 band.

AC2OY

Yeah but you supercharged my 536!!! Last time I had it running I my basement the NJICS,NJSP,...and everybody else sounded much better!!!! Right the 536 is a paperweight until well....

Analogrules

Newark FD also sounds terrible from my location in Roselle Park on the Essex NJICS site on the BCD436. Constantly choppy transmissions, etc...

I know there's nothing wrong with my scanner because I can pick up the P25 Burlington and Camden County systems perfectly when I'm down in that area. NJICS is just terrible, especially on Phase 2.

Citywide173

Premium Subscriber
Is it your location? Are you line of sight from any high power broadcast stations or close to a cell site that might be causing interference? Have you tried using attenuation to see if it helps any? I think the best option would be to take the radio to the other side of town to see how it performs, then make a determination of whether or not there is something near you causing interference that might be rectified with attenuation or a notch filter.

ansky

Newark FD also sounds terrible from my location in Roselle Park on the Essex NJICS site on the BCD436. Constantly choppy transmissions, etc...

I know there's nothing wrong with my scanner because I can pick up the P25 Burlington and Camden County systems perfectly when I'm down in that area. NJICS is just terrible, especially on Phase 2.

Newark FD is on both the West Orange and Union simulcasts. Try turning off one site or the other to see if you get improvement. From my location they sound better on the Union simulcast.

jjeffstang91

Premium Subscriber
please help if you can

i just bought a BCD-436hp How can i listen to newark i have them saved but nothing comes tho?

Analogrules

Oh no, what a waste of money. I once owned that scanner and it was terrible. Especially if you are indoors, most digital transmissions break up on the NJICS system. Once everything goes encrypted, that scanner would be useless anyway.

AvidHiker

Oh no, what a waste of money. I once owned that scanner and it was terrible. Especially if you are indoors, most digital transmissions break up on the NJICS system. Once everything goes encrypted, that scanner would be useless anyway.

Heh, you sure do like playing that tune. I've been lurking here for a few months, searching the forum extensively, and you've been at it for years! Most of our county (I'm in Union as well) is clear, so I'm a happy camper, and I have no interest (or concern) with speculation on future encryption.

AvidHiker

Anyway, back to the actual topic, I would agree there's no way you should pay retail price, but I got an amazing deal on a 436 off eBay. It has no problem with UHF transmissions (especially if you have a recent build with the interference problem corrected; mine is 2017). Works reasonably well on NJICS, even inside my aluminum-sided home. It is, of course, sensitive to position and the sweet spot changes from time to time. But after a couple weeks of experimenting, I can consistently get 90+% clean reception on the stock configuration. The NY metro area is no doubt RF-congested, and I've found a 700-800 notch filter, coupled with the RS800 antenna and manual selection of the correct digital threshold, seems to get me pretty close to 100%.

Analogrules

Avidhiker, if you read some of the above posts, there were others who also had terrible experiences with the Bcd436. I am not the only one. And Yes, Union Twp. appears to be going encrypted on NJICS. Roselle Pk is already encrypted, Roselle, Linden, and Elizabeth also encrypt several PD transmisions. Plainfield and Rahway are encrypted (Rahway for years now). I would be shocked if Cranford and Kenilworth actually stay in the clear once they switch over to NJICS. So, much of Union County is encrypted and I PROMISE you that we will see several more departments encrypted by 2019 according to my inside sources. Good luck with that soon to be paperweight scanner.

Status
Not open for further replies.