RCC Lines DMR in Bayonne

Status
Not open for further replies.

WQPW689

Researched this, but couldn't find anything previous on the forums.

Monitored Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines in the Cape Liberty Cruise Port (the old Bayonne Port Terminal) this morning and discovered that their Channel 1, 462.3875, was carrying both narrowband FM traffic but also DMR. The color code was 08 and it sounded as if the DMR transmissions were between a supervisor type and personnel at the screening station the passengers go through before they board. She called it an "Xray station".

Ship was the Anthem of the Seas on departure.

MStep

Researched this, but couldn't find anything previous on the forums.

Monitored Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines in the Cape Liberty Cruise Port (the old Bayonne Port Terminal) this morning and discovered that their Channel 1, 462.3875, was carrying both narrowband FM traffic but also DMR. The color code was 08 and it sounded as if the DMR transmissions were between a supervisor type and personnel at the screening station the passengers go through before they board. She called it an "Xray station".

Ship was the Anthem of the Seas on departure.

Great catch--- will be monitoring.

WQPW689

Thank you. Bear in mind this is the first time I've heard it and it was on a ship turn around day, when everyone is working including the many part timers RCCL uses. So I don't know if it's established with the full time staff, it's just a test, or what. The RR database does not reflect the DMR usage yet (that I can find).

Anthem of The Seas will turn around every 10 days for the next month or so and I'll be listening when she ports on Jan 25th. And of course during the next 9 days to see if they use DMR again.

Happy monitoring!

ecps92

Many of the newer ships are using DMR (Trbo) and some are using the 6.25 channels

Do you have a current Port listing, so you will know in advance what ships are inbound/outbound ?

If not
Cruiseliberty.com - Cruise Ships and Schedule
unfortunately these two combine all the NY/NJ into one list
Cruises From New York City, New York | New York City Cruise Ship Departures
Cruises To New York City, New York | 5 Things To Do In New York City For Cruisers

Looks like 462.3875 is the only Repeater, so Ch.01 make sense
Ch.02 might be simplex of the repeater, followed by the other channels
ULS License - Industrial/Business Pool, Conventional License - WQBF543 - CAPE LIBERTY CRUISE TERMINAL - Frequencies Summary

Analog Only license, but that doesn't stop folks.

Good Find

For the ships themselves you will find them in the 457 and 467 band generally

Thank you. Bear in mind this is the first time I've heard it and it was on a ship turn around day, when everyone is working including the many part timers RCCL uses. So I don't know if it's established with the full time staff, it's just a test, or what. The RR database does not reflect the DMR usage yet (that I can find).

Anthem of The Seas will turn around every 10 days for the next month or so and I'll be listening when she ports on Jan 25th. And of course during the next 9 days to see if they use DMR again.

Happy monitoring!

Last edited:

WQPW689

Many of the newer ships are using DMR (Trbo) and some are using the 6.25 channels

Do you have a current Port listing, so you will know in advance what ships are inbound/outbound ?

If not
Cruiseliberty.com - Cruise Ships and Schedule
unfortunately these two combine all the NY/NJ into one list
Cruises From New York City, New York | New York City Cruise Ship Departures
Cruises To New York City, New York | 5 Things To Do In New York City For Cruisers

Looks like 462.3875 is the only Repeater, so Ch.01 make sense
Ch.02 might be simplex of the repeater, followed by the other channels
ULS License - Industrial/Business Pool, Conventional License - WQBF543 - CAPE LIBERTY CRUISE TERMINAL - Frequencies Summary

Analog Only license, but that doesn't stop folks.

Good Find

For the ships themselves you will find them in the 457 and 467 band generally

Thanks for the tips. I'd been listening to RCCL as I'm less than two miles from the terminal. As Cunard and Norwegian Cruise Lines have ships leaving tomorrow, the 17th, out of NYC, I'll set it up to see if I can grab both their terminal ops and on board ship communications when they're off dock.

NotATechGuy

NotAMember
Premium Subscriber
I can confirm RCCL uses DMR for port operations out of Bayonne. At least supervisors and other white helmets. However I don't know any specifics or technical info. They've been using DMR for awhile now.

Status
Not open for further replies.