Roxbury Twp. PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sybex7254

Does anyone know the status of Roxbury's new UHF radio system? They don't seem to have made much more progress than they were several months ago and are still simulcasting dispatch on both the new UHF and old Lo-band frequencies. I have only heard the occasional two way communication on the UHF frequency as well radio repair here and there.

I did hear that they were considering a 4th tower but have no idea where that may stand and if in fact it is the cause for the delay or if this is true or not.

DPW is using the TAC frequency of 478.575 and the FD tones out on 478.600 but I haven't heard any voice transmissions on it for months.

SCPD

QRT
two words: Tie Lines

They have 3 towers? That's 2 too many. Roxbury isn't that big.

Mt. Olive is 30Sq. Mi and has two UHF transmitters along with the FD/EMS.

FYI: If the Roxbury PD chief had his way, there would be a nuclear sub in Lk. Hopatcong!

Sybex7254

Another repeater site must finally up? Signal strength is noticeably stronger. I am having no problems receiving them on my BC296D in the bottom floor of my house with only the Rubber Duckie antenna which before today wasn't possible. I have also noticed that they are using only the new UHF frequency (both dispatch and mobile units) and are not broadcasting on 39.160 at all!

PointMan

I can still hear them using 39.16, not only is dispatch simulcasting on it but some of the cars still only have the low band. But it is nice to hear them finaly using the high band for 90% of their traffic, and not just "Can you hear me now?" transmissions from the brass.

Sybex7254

Don't think they are using the lo-band frequency at all. I have 2 scanners on and am hearing both sides of all communications solely on the 478.050 frequency. Nothing heard on 39.160 at all. As far as I can tell they are 100% UHF now, but I guess only time will tell.

PointMan

It was just 4 days ago I heard two dare officers using low band to talk with dispatch, before that I heard the ESU truck on low band, Probably 2 weeks back, as well as a number of guys on the Eyland ave job using low band hand helds for the usual "Sending 10 cars starting with the red buick, last car is a blue PT loser"

Sybex7254

EJM - I have noticed the disappearance of the lo-band antennas on several vechicles too, about time!

Pointman - They were probably using the lo-band hand helds since the UHF TAC frequency is being used by the DPW during the day. Remember I first noticed this last Monday so there will probably be a short period of time where the lo-band is still turned on as a backup.

I am hearing the dispatch on the lo-band frequency but the signal seems much weaker than before, probably the reason I thought it wasn't being used.

I have a source at City Hall that confirmed Verizon has finally installed the copper tie lines and several repeaters are now online. Is Mt. Olive next? I believe their new PD freq has the same issues Roxbury did and only has one repeater functioning. Also said that soon the FD will begin simulcasting on both lo-band and UHF just like the PD did before their final transition.

PointMan

Mt Olive's system seems to be working great, 156.06 I hear it every day on my way to work.

As for the low band VHF, I hear they are planning to auction off the old hand helds, they also have SPEN radios in nearly all the cars, so listen for SPEN 3 + 4 activity as well. One of the UHF freqs is being used for police Tac, I just never seem to write it down. Many times Ive heard them say "Switch to police TAC" and then i hear traffic there, but Im usualy driving and its not the most convenient time to write down freq logs.

The FD seems to be using both high and low band quite a bit, as well as the paid fire inspectors 321 and 322.

The DPW uses both high and low quite a bit. Ocasionaly someone calles RX 40 Base and asks them to relay info on highband, which obviously means they dont have a UHF radio.

I still want to know how the new UHF PD freq displays officer ID tags on the radio consoles, is that some sort of ID Tag like trunked radios use? That would be a cool feature to be able to scan.

W2SJW

Database Admin
Are their radios making a sound when they key up (before they talk)? It's probably MDC-1200 if they are using Moto radios (or something similar).

PointMan

As in sound, do you mean that key up screetch that sounds like the microphone key dragging on the microphone case? If so yes, it does make a little noise, but I havent heard anything that sounded like digital beeps or warbles. Maybee this is being done on the input only, and then the repeater cuts it out of the output? I'll keep a close ear on the input freqs if thats the case.

In ref. to the audio thing, if you listen to the input freq ocasionaly, and you capture a strong signal from a near by unit, it does sound 10 times better than the repeater output. I wonder what that thing is doing to the audio on repeat? hehe

PointMan

DPW is using the TAC frequency of 478.575

That is correct, and get this, so is the PD. After a few technicians doing the "Testing on PD Tactical" and one day when the Dispatch channel was being worked on, and dispatch telling everyone "Go to Tactical" I was able to confirm this.

Im constantly doing the PL search. I suspect they may be using different tones for PD and DPW, to keep them from hearing each other, or perhaps they are using the same tones and the DPW hasnt caught on to it yet, because on 45.24 I still hear DPW calling "548" to no answer. If they knew they were using the same freq as the PD, they would do it on the channel they are allready on, not switch to low band.

HarleyDave

Interestingly I have heard police dispatch tell all cars to switch to both "PD Tac" which is the .575 repeater pair also used by the DPW, and I have heard them say "Switch to Fire Band" the .600 repeater pair and ALL cars and dispatch moved their ops to Fire Band. These were both seperate incedents, where radio repair was most likely doing work on the main freq. Its comforting to see that they can switch to any channel like that, makes sense.

For the first time I have heard a fire unit besides the two paid fire inspectors on fire band as well. Ambulance 109 was trying to call any first responders on scene if they could ride. They got no answer, tried on 45.60 and got no answer there, dispatch called the cop on scene and he reported no on police band. Yet during structure fires, I hear NO fireband activity on any of the UHF fire or DPW freqs, input or output.

HarleyDave

GOOD NEWS!

The fire dept had been simulcasting voice dispatches on their UHF freq, 478.600 and today for the first time I heard ambulance 110 "Stepping out at dover" on highband and not on ultra ultra low band.

For a while it was just fire/ems tones on UHF and the two fire inspectors. Now it appears that some or all of the ambulances have the capability to use UHF. Not sure about the regular FD however, because everytime there is a structure fire, I only hear activity on 45.60.

So give it time,

HarleyDave

Also I have not heard a single blip on the two "FireGround" freqs ( 464.875 467.7625 ) or on the supposed DPW freq of 478.5125

So far it is:

478.050 - 481.050 ... Roxbury PD Pair
478.575 - 481.575 ... Roxbury PD + FD Tac (the only UHF used by DPW Currently)
478.600 - 481.600 ... Roxbury FD Pair (Finaly in use, disp + ambulances)

Unconfirmed:

464.875 - Supposedly Fire Ground 1
467.7625 - Supposedly Fire Ground 2
478.5125 - Supposedly DPW

HarleyDave

ALS is using the high band system as well, audio is very bad in comparison to the ultra ultra low band (and yes the signal strength is the same on both at my site)

Status
Not open for further replies.