West Orange NJ EDACS - patch to Spen 1 talk group

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinb77777

Living in West Orange, I have no issues receiving the West Orange EDACS analog system and all their talk groups with my Pro 651. One of the talk groups is a "patch to Spen 1". For some reason I do not get any voice on it even though I do see the talk group come up. I am also monitoring Spen 1 - 4 and it doesn't come up on Spen 1 either. I do everyonce in a while hear something on Spen 2 but it is rare.

Any ideas why I cannot cannot this talk group? Has anyone else in the area get a voice on the patch to Spen 1?

Kevin

SCPD

QRT
What scanner are you using I get this with the database programmed into my Whistler TRX1.
This does work, I have heard it before.Try setting the talkgroup to Priority then turning that on.
PS every talkgroup I have set to Auto for analog/digital.(ya know just in case they change stuff)
Does any other town have a Spen patch ? Havent seen any.

SCPD

QRT
thats

I have a Radio Shack Pro-651. equivalent to the Whistler 1040 . I have used the radio reference database and Win500.

Kevin

Thats digital, you should be able to hear the talkgroup.Try a better antenna,I noticed if I dont get the West orange site perfect ,I dont hear much either.I am in Clifton.Set the talkgroup to auto.(instead of digital or analog) in your software.

kevinb77777

I have no issue with signal strength. I can literally see the antennas on the first mountain and I am on the second mountain. I get all the other talk groups even with attenuation on. I just do not get any voice on that one talk group. All other talk groups no issue.

I do not have a way to switch that talk group from analog to digital in win500. Is there a manual way internal to the scanner to do it?

Kevin

ansky

I live in West Orange and have no problem hearing the SPEN talkgroup. It has to be a problem with your scanner if it stops on that group but you don't get audio.

SCPD

QRT
Probably only gets used when a town tries to talk to West orange.I hear it in use during the day at night,not so much.
Try putting bin a Talkgroup wildcard for that system,maybe you have it programmed wrong.Monitor 154.680 and see if it goes through the digital scanner.

coolrich55

I monitor West Orange whenever I'm in Jersey and have the same issue with my PSR500. All the talkgroups come in loud and clear but whenever I hear traffic on spen from my other scanner the spen talkgroup on the PSR500 will pop up with no audio. Personally I don't think it's a scanner issue, but just the way the patch is set up possibly? Maybe it only comes in when it's a town that is close to West Orange speaking.

kevinb77777

Thank you everyone. As someone mentioned it is my scanner or its settings that maybe the issue. I monitor SPEN 1 on an older pro-2040 and I do not hear the patch either. I am not sure exactly what the WO SPEN 1 patch is. It isnt a simulcast of SPEN1 but a patch of some type. As someone else mentioned it could be just a communication to WO from other neighboring cities.

I am wondering since my pro-651 only receives P25 phase 1 and not capable of phase II that may be part of the problem. The people who have no issue getting audio have phase II capable scanners. They are both Uniden and the whistler TRX-1. I will do more experimenting with the scanner itself.

Kevin

ansky

Thank you everyone. As someone mentioned it is my scanner or its settings that maybe the issue. I monitor SPEN 1 on an older pro-2040 and I do not hear the patch either. I am not sure exactly what the WO SPEN 1 patch is. It isnt a simulcast of SPEN1 but a patch of some type. As someone else mentioned it could be just a communication to WO from other neighboring cities.

I am wondering since my pro-651 only receives P25 phase 1 and not capable of phase II that may be part of the problem. The people who have no issue getting audio have phase II capable scanners. They are both Uniden and the whistler TRX-1. I will do more experimenting with the scanner itself.

Kevin

All West Orange talkgroups are analog as far as I know. So having a digital scanner should not be the issue.

SCPD

QRT
Ensure all of the frequencies are in the scanner ,and not locked out for that site.I think when I had the equivalent to yours when I added West orange it was leaving out some of the frequencies, look in your software.I used the ARC aka Butel.
I had your radio and the home patrol 1 and both were not receiving until I played with something in the software.I had a 996Xt at the time and that for some reason always worked without any issue for that system.And yes the system is Analog .

kevinb77777

I will check and make sure all the trunking frequencies are covered.

I have an older pro 2040 non trunking scanner which I am going to program to all the WO frequencies except the control channel and watch the pro-651 when a patch to SPEN comes up and see if the regular analog scanner picks up one of the frequencies and I hear an voice on it. It will be an interesting experiment. Not sure if it will work but it doesn't hurt to try.

By the way, I know some of you have issue with WO signal strength when a few towns away. I work in Parsippany,12 miles away in a steel office building and I get WO from here. There is a little static but I get 3-4 bars out of 5 on the signal strength meter. if I move the radio toward a Window and I get the 5 bars again and works like when I am at home.

Kevin

ansky

By the way, I know some of you have issue with WO signal strength when a few towns away. I work in Parsippany,12 miles away in a steel office building and I get WO from here. There is a little static but I get 3-4 bars out of 5 on the signal strength meter. if I move the radio toward a Window and I get the 5 bars again and works like when I am at home.

Kevin

They have very good coverage. I used to live in Jersey City and was able to receive WO loud and clear. I have also seen posts from people in NYC that are able to hear WO no problem.

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
Yet in next door Verona, it's very tricky to get a good signal depending on your location. Also, I wonder what West Orange has in store for the future. They've had that EDACS for quite awhile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slingshot202

Feed Provider
That would be strange since they are an analog system and it should work. I try to avoid the State Police Entertainment Network but maybe I'll enable it to See. I know the paramedic patch comes through.

Thanks,
C.J
Sent from the Galaxy S8 using Tapatalk

kevinb77777

What I did was make the WO patch to SPEN on its own scan list. I started to hear one side of a conversation then it went away earlier today. Very strange. I will see if that helps in any way.

Since many of us are in the West Essex area. what else is really good to listen to? I have the Essex county conventional frequencies and NJSTP north troop. Anything Federal or anything else interesting to listen to?

Kevin

kevinb77777

This is interesting. I put in the 5 West Orange frequencies not including the control channel in an older non trunking analog scanner. I set up on the pro-651 the patch to SPEN on its own scan list. When the patch comes up and I get no voice it comes up on the analog scanner on frequency 854.33750. and I can hear voice. Then I searched for that frequency on the radio reference website and it is also a simulcast frequency for NJ transit. https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=7725 This is strange.

Any thoughts?

Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.