Best Scanner for Morris County P25

Status
Not open for further replies.

ht396jm

Premium Subscriber
Looking for some input..... I am currently trying to monitor the Morris County TRS system (P25 Phase 1) on a HomePatrol 2 in addition to a Radio Shack Pro-106. Both pick up the system VERY poorly. Assuming that these scanners just handle LSM poorly, can anyone recommend a scanner that they have had success with on this system? I've fiddled with the settings, sent the scanners for programming in addition to changing the tables and nothing seems to work. Thanks!

My Whistler WS1088 performs great on the Morris County system. I bought it from one of Whistler's awesome refurb sales and it originally came with the original DSP and CPU firmware. On this firmware, I couldn't receive the Morris County system at all. However, now since I updated the firmware the system comes in beautifully.

Coolant113

Looking for some input..... I am currently trying to monitor the Morris County TRS system (P25 Phase 1) on a HomePatrol 2 in addition to a Radio Shack Pro-106. Both pick up the system VERY poorly. Assuming that these scanners just handle LSM poorly, can anyone recommend a scanner that they have had success with on this system? I've fiddled with the settings, sent the scanners for programming in addition to changing the tables and nothing seems to work. Thanks!

Some scanners have issue throughout the county due to LSM issues. What location are you trying to monitor from?

I would recommend the 996XT, 996P2, or the Whistler TRX 2 as desktop scanners. The 536hp is an option as well but have heard people having issues monitoring the Morris system with that one.

I host both Morris County digital feeds and one uses the 996XT and the other uses a 996P2 and both are amazing. They never miss a beat.

If your looking for a handheld option then I would recommend the 325P2 or the TRX 1. The 436HP is also another option but I owned one and had issues with that monitoring the Morris system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Unication G5 UHF-H and 7/800. Even though it only uses an internal loop antenna for UHF, I have Countywide coverage.

ht396jm

Premium Subscriber
Some scanners have issue throughout the county due to LSM issues. What location are you trying to monitor from?

I would recommend the 996XT, 996P2, or the Whistler TRX 2 as desktop scanners. The 536hp is an option as well but have heard people having issues monitoring the Morris system with that one.

I host both Morris County digital feeds and one uses the 996XT and the other uses a 996P2 and both are amazing. They never miss a beat.

If your looking for a handheld option then I would recommend the 325P2 or the TRX 1. The 436HP is also another option but I owned one and had issues with that monitoring the Morris system.

I'm right around the area of FDU. If I'm on 287 I can hear it crystal clear, I'm anywhere on Madison Ave it is completely unreadable.

ht396jm

Premium Subscriber
Are you looking for a desktop scanner? If so are you using a external antenna or a base antenna?

No I'm looking at a portable scanner. I've been surfing youtube and the forums and I've seen several videos of the TRX -1 and the BCD436HP operating on the Morris County system and doing a good job. There a vast amount of trees in the area I'm in and I'm concerned about the multi-path I've encountered using virtually every scanner I've ever owned that is P25 capable.

NJFireD1

No I'm looking at a portable scanner. I've been surfing youtube and the forums and I've seen several videos of the TRX -1 and the BCD436HP operating on the Morris County system and doing a good job. There a vast amount of trees in the area I'm in and I'm concerned about the multi-path I've encountered using virtually every scanner I've ever owned that is P25 capable.

I recently purchased the TRX-1 and it has handled the county system great.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
From first hand experience, if you are using it in a mobile environment, make sure you get opinions from people using their scanner in the SAME mobile environment. For example, Coolant113 hosting the feeds while the scanner sits in the same location and never moves is not the same as driving around monitoring with LSM. I can take my PSR-800 and find that sweet spot in my house. Move it 5 inches and completely garbled. Same thing with mobile...hit or miss. So make sure you base your decision on those factors or you are going to be disappointed. I'll again recommend the Unication G5 for what your particular needs are.

nosoup4u

Feed Provider
I got to demo a Unication UHF/700 G5 about 6 months ago and it performed very well on the Morris System. If all you are interested in is the Trunk System, then you will probably save yourself a headache by going with one of those.

For listening at various locations around the house my WS1088 does great, but I think for your location and uses you'd be better off following signal-zero's advice and getting a Unication pager.

NJFireD1

Yes just lock in that talk group or only program the one you want to listen to. You do have to program at least the control frequencies for the system though.

Is it possible to tune into just one talkgroup rather than listening to the entire county at once?

mwvnova

Thank you. Dad is trying to get just the Mt Arlington Police and I find it hard to listen to the entire county at once so I'm sure he'll feel the same.

Yes just lock in that talk group or only program the one you want to listen to. You do have to program at least the control frequencies for the system though.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Is it possible to tune into just one talkgroup rather than listening to the entire county at once?

Yep. Just assign one talkgroup to a knob position. As an example, I have one trunked system programmed in a zone. Zone has 8 knob positions. I have them programmed as follows:

1- SCAN ALL (scans 4-8)
2-SCAN PD (scans 4-6)
3-SCAN FIRE (scans 7-8)
Below are then individual talkgroups that I can “hold” on when something is happening:
4-POLICE N
5-POLICE C
6-POLICE S
7-FIRE 1 N
8-FIRE 2 S

mwvnova

And you're using which unit?

Yep. Just assign one talkgroup to a knob position. As an example, I have one trunked system programmed in a zone. Zone has 8 knob positions. I have them programmed as follows:

1- SCAN ALL (scans 4-8)
2-SCAN PD (scans 4-6)
3-SCAN FIRE (scans 7-8)
Below are then individual talkgroups that I can “hold” on when something is happening:
4-POLICE N
5-POLICE C
6-POLICE S
7-FIRE 1 N
8-FIRE 2 S

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I have the G5 UHF-H 7/800. I’m no longer in NJ full-time but come up often due to family. With the G5, I have everything UHF from Bergen, Wayne, Morris, Somerset, Jersey City and Bayonne. For 7/800 mostly NJICS. Once Phase II is released, NJICS zone will expand obviously.

I’ve used it all up and down the east coast from Miami to Boston.

mwvnova

Very nice and thanks again for the help!

I have the G5 UHF-H 7/800. I’m no longer in NJ full-time but come up often due to family. With the G5, I have everything UHF from Bergen, Wayne, Morris, Somerset, Jersey City and Bayonne. For 7/800 mostly NJICS. Once Phase II is released, NJICS zone will expand obviously.

I’ve used it all up and down the east coast from Miami to Boston.

Status
Not open for further replies.