Big Changes Jersey City Fire & Police

Status
Not open for further replies.

rr60

Premium Subscriber
A usually reliable source has told me a rumor.

During 2018 encryption will be deployed throughout system.

The present fire simulcast 460.xxx freqs will be absorbed into the present system. No more simulcast.

So they say.....maybe even Q2/3. Ira?

ansky

What fire simulcast are you referring to? They still use the old 460.55 conventional frequency but that is used for the Fireground 2 channel and is not a simulcast of the TRS. I listen to FDJC every day. I hope at least they would keep dispatch in the clear.

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
Dispatch 1 is on the TRS
FG 2, 460-5500 and FG 3, 460-6000 are analog channels, old 1 and 2.
Ch 4 and 5 are simplex of the above
Ch 6 through 12 are on the TRS.

I'll have better info soon if this is true, I sure hope it's not.

NJEMT12982

Premium Subscriber
Possible encryption

I have seen other parts of the country such as Colorado come up with anti encryption Bills. At least they are trying to. With the Open Public Records act would something like that help to keep communications in the clear here in NJ or is that idea beyond far fetched? I've heard rumors of Newark PD eventually coming off of analog and going with full encryption.

ResQguy

Meh
A usually reliable source has told me a rumor.

During 2018 encryption will be deployed throughout system.

The present fire simulcast 460.xxx freqs will be absorbed into the present system. No more simulcast.

So they say.....maybe even Q2/3. Ira?

Please tell me you aren't asking for Ira Rubin's assistance in this matter.

ansky

I have seen other parts of the country such as Colorado come up with anti encryption Bills. At least they are trying to. With the Open Public Records act would something like that help to keep communications in the clear here in NJ or is that idea beyond far fetched? I've heard rumors of Newark PD eventually coming off of analog and going with full encryption.

The question is, how many people even know about the encryption, and would be willing to complain (or even care)?

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
ResQguy I saw that and thought the same thing.

So as the original post said, "RUMOR" and as of now that's all it is.

I hear a radio vendor has recommended this.

Originally when JC went to the P-25 TRS the at the time JCFD Ch 1 and 2 were supposed to be part of the TRS pool. There was opposition to the FD going 100% on the TRS and going P-25, that's why they FG 2 & 3.

Many of the people who fought to keep those channels are now gone, so who knows what may happen in the future.

More later.

Analogrules

I believe it. I keep telling everyone that everything public safety will be encrypted in the next few years. Your $400 digital scanners will only be useful as paper weights. The hobby has come to an end.

scannersnstuff

Unless I missed something , just say it. Ira Rubin , Former JCFD dispatcher, and prolific fire buff, passed away almost 2 year's ago. RIP.

ansky

I'm not sure if this is related or not, but I was listening to FDJC this afternoon and they were doing a lot of radio testing on 460.55 and 460.60. As an example, I heard someone say "How do you read this radio from 500 Manila Avenue".

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
The radio tests are high rise buildings testing their high rise radio system, I'd be interested to see how that will work out if what is rumored happened. Make every high rise in the city get a new radio system? Just what the radio vendors want.sell more junk so they can make big $$$$

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
So this encryption change will be only on the UHF system? What about the 700/800 MHz system that should be online by now?

ten13

Premium Subscriber
Hoboken

Rumor has it that HOBOKEN FD (and, presumably, the PD) is getting on-board with a "new" radio system, described to me as being the "same system" as JC and Bayonne.

The ETA of this transition is during or around March of 2018.

Don't hold your breath...for this bill to pass, let alone it spreading across the country.

I agree.

Attempting to outlawing encryption on a police radio system is like trying to legislate what color pen ink a PD should use, black or blue. It's up to the PD to make those decisions, not the people.

Rumor has it that HOBOKEN FD (and, presumably, the PD) is getting on-board with a "new" radio system, described to me as being the "same system" as JC and Bayonne.

The ETA of this transition is during or around March of 2018.

A previous post reported that the Hoboken City Council had approved a resolution in December of 2017 to permit negotiations with NJOIT for the transition of Hoboken PD over to the NJICS system. No mention in the resolution of Hoboken FD, but since they are currently using T-Band frequencies that are subject to "Give Back," I would suspect they would be moving to NJICS also.

CqDx

Premium Subscriber
This is interesting, I thought Hudson County is building out a 700/800 MHz system that was supposed to go online last year, yet Hoboken wants to transition to NJICS which is different from the Hudson County system...unless the Hudson County system will become its own cell under NJICS like Union?

ansky

This is slightly off topic, but I was listening to call come in recently where a fire was reported at one of the Newport high rises. There was a standard response of 4 engines, 2 ladders, rescue, etc. but I also heard the dispatcher notify a fifth engine and said "Engine 10 please pick up the HRT". Then at the end of the call I heard "Engine 10 out of service, returning the HRT". Does anyone know what the HRT is? And where are they picking it up and returning it to?

Status
Not open for further replies.