NJSP 800 system

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdsxfire

EDBM
I just recently programmed in the NJSP Motorola system in my scanner and am listening to Troop B 5comm car2car fleetwide parkway central turnpike central and a few others. The first few days all transmissions were clear with full signal on the scanner, with the exception of some slight static from the cars connection to the system but the bars on the scanner always full. Tonight ( now it is rainy and cloudy) when on the control channel is scanning its bouncing between 4-6 bars, no big issue. My issue is a trooper will key up on troop b 5 comm loud and clear full bars then another trooper with talk right after same TG and is all static and go from 6 bars to 1? Shouldn’t the received signal be the same strength as the control channel freq? Could it just be a few of the freq pairs are more adversely affected by the inclement weather?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lou9155

i get the same issues with weather..they also switch around the control channel frequency alot ..depending on the scanner you have you can see the cc freq.

mdsxfire

EDBM
i get the same issues with weather..they also switch around the control channel frequency alot ..depending on the scanner you have you can see the cc freq.

Lol Now after staring at it like a loser for 10 minutes it seems to be only when the controller assigns the TG to 856.9625 that it is a horrible signal, maybe that freq is more susceptible to weather issues or maybe the transmitter is on its way out

lou9155

like right now the berlin site is using the second control channel 859.93750 and the signal is still weak. when this weather clears they prob will switch back to 860.93750 which is the main cc. im about 10 miles from the tower as the crow flies and reception will go from great to iffy transmission to transmission

mdsxfire

EDBM
It def is a great system with great coverage. The state should have built this system out instead of implementing the NJICS. It was already in place and had a proven track record, besides weather related issues.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
It def is a great system with great coverage. The state should have built this system out instead of implementing the NJICS. It was already in place and had a proven track record, besides weather related issues.

They are building it out. It will switch to a full phase II system in time from what I've heard and read.

The signal strength variations you mentioned are normal. I've noticed over the years that certain voice channels coming off the same tower as others will have reduced signal strength. Could be a multitude of things causing that. Some of the more radio smart troopers will let the repeater drop and key up again in hopes of getting another voice channel.

Even when the weather is nice there are known places where certain sites of this system have poor coverage. There are a many intelli sites to fill in the gaps but there are still problem spots.

mdsxfire

EDBM
Ugh I was hoping they would leave it as it is a type 2 not go to p25 phase2, but that’s the way it’s all going my Work county and my volly FD are already or in the process of switching. Just waiting for my pre ordered G5 with phase 2 to get here
Are the NJSP Switching their current system to a p25 phase 2 or just moving over to the NJICS as I see their talkgroups are patched in on it now

NParkNJ

On the Road
Doubt they’ll do these changes anytime soon. They have a very good system, with amazing coverage. I don’t see why they’d not have a system of their own. If anything they should just update their current sites to allow for Phase 2. I very much doubt they wouldn’t have their own TRS like they do now.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
Doubt they’ll do these changes anytime soon. They have a very good system, with amazing coverage. I don’t see why they’d not have a system of their own. If anything they should just update their current sites to allow for Phase 2. I very much doubt they wouldn’t have their own TRS like they do now.

That's whats happening. The current 800 systems is being upgraded. From what I've heard it's mostly done at the repeater sites. There are so many users of this system it's going to be a monumental task to get them all updated before they pull they pull the trigger on a switch over to phase II. I think the system will remain in legacy type II smartzone Omni-link for some time.

NParkNJ

On the Road
That's whats happening. The current 800 systems is being upgraded. From what I've heard it's mostly done at the repeater sites. There are so many users of this system it's going to be a monumental task to get them all updated before they pull they pull the trigger on a switch over to phase II. I think the system will remain in legacy type II smartzone Omni-link for some time.

Gotcha. Yeah it’s a big system. If it’s years away I’m good with that.

A lot of time and $$$

W2SJW

Database Admin
The only real reason these days would be because of RF interference on the frequency.

I get both the NJSP & NJICS from the Montana Mountain site here at my house, and the NJSP is always on 860.9625 for control, and the NJICS on 773.83125.

If they are temporarily rotating to any of the other 3, I never see it...

mdsxfire

EDBM
The only real reason these days would be because of RF interference on the frequency.

I get both the NJSP & NJICS from the Montana Mountain site here at my house, and the NJSP is always on 860.9625 for control, and the NJICS on 773.83125.

If they are temporarily rotating to any of the other 3, I never see it...

I was watching yesterday and for about 10 minutes it looked like they were using one of the 859 freq for a control channel then it jumped back to 860.9625

W2SJW

Database Admin
A good friend reminded me this afternoon that the older systems that were/are mixed-mode ASTRO capable were normally build on Quantar repeaters, and you had to rotate the control channel so that you won't fry the PA in the finals of that specific channel on the system.

These days, the systems are built on GTR8000's, and you can park those babies on a CC until the rapture (hence, the reduced lack of channel rotation)!

There are a number of reasons for random rotation, but as I said previously, the most common cause is RFI on the input to the CC.

mdsxfire

EDBM
I’ve figure out most of the codes called out and the MV stop language except the very last part ie 5comm 6732 on a stop 287 34 over 2 NSO white female nj plate xxxxxx then a 2 number single letter like 48alpha, what is that last part?

W2SJW

Database Admin
An abbreviated notation of the Title 39 statute the driver is suspect of violating.

The one you'll hear the most is '498' (39:4-98 - Speeding).

kennyloatman

Premium Subscriber
Have noticed that there comm radio ID's have changed recently. Some of them three digit numbers. Indication I would think that there switching out there console radios. 3,4, and 5-comm all seem to be different.

Status
Not open for further replies.