Unication G5 and Wayne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
I am trying to get my G5 to receive the Wayne P25 system. I’ve already got NJICS up and running, so I put Wayne zone 2. I keep getting the out of range indication.

I’m in Wayne right now, and should be getting them. My 436 is showing 5 bars and is getting them loud and clear. Did I miss a range setting or something else?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I get them just fine on my G5. I’ll post up some screenshots from PPS after work today.

troymail

Silent Key
The typical "out of range" issue when you aren't really out of range lies in the system parms - WACN, SysID, RFSS, and/or site values....

Note that if these are wrong (or entered incorrectly), the radio will report out of range because it cannot find a control channel that matches the values you applied.

Make sure you enter things as HEX values where required (vs. decimal).

If things still don't work but you know you've entered the (all system/site) frequencies the the site, you can also try changing the system parms to wildcards:

WACN - FFFFF
SysID - FFF
RFSS - FF
Site - FF

Then - assuming that solves your issues, you can look at the values the radio is reporting to verify they match what is documented/you were expecting.

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
Ok I put the Morris County system in and it works. Although, during some transmissions, it flashes the out of range indicator.

Wayne is a different story. Since Wayne is a Harris system, I put all the system frequencies in. I have triple checked the info for system id, and WACN, and all the site info. Still showing out of range.
This is proving to be a PITA[emoji23]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

troymail

Silent Key
Try the wildcards...

Everything can be a PITA at first... but you'll work it out... and should be very happy..

I'm betting it's the RFSS and/or Site values... I had issues with two different Harris systems... one was just wring as listed on RR and the other was my fault (decimal vs. Hex). Harris likes to use 'strange' values...

Last edited:

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
Ok I have tried Wayne both ways, and still get out of range. Since this is a UHF system, it uses the internal antenna. So I may really be out of range. I’ll have to try it again when I’m closer to Wayne.

This morning I was in Wayne , but I’m fairly sure my earlier programming was wrong. My HP 2 has a hard time pulling this system in too, so maybe that’s the problem.

Thanks for the assistance!
Mark

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
I don’t know about the HP2, but some scanners can give you the Wacn,SYSID, SiteId, etc. you might want to see if you can double check the RRDB and make sure it’s correct.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Wayne Twp
Tab 2
WACN ID (HEX) 926A5
System ID (HEX) 4E
Click on Site
No 1, Site Alias Wayne, RFSS ID (Hex) F, Site ID (Hex) F
Click save
Click Control Channels
7 total (it’s a Harris system)
Click Save
Tab 4 make sure you have all your Group IDs under P25T TGID column, alert mode as Tone and Alert tone as none.
Tab 5
Click an available knob position
Receiving mode (Trunking TG-Scan)
Below that make sure you select the Wayne P25 system in the drop down under P25 Trunking system (easy step to miss and will default to first system you entered).
Scroll down and make sure Alert mode is Tone and add your talkgroups.

Let me know.

Markscan

Premium Subscriber
Thank you Signal-Zero! I followed your instructions and boom! That’s why I love RR! Always help when you need it!
Thanks again!
Mark

markjrenna

Getting a G5 soon so I too can listen to Wayne. Great info here!

One other comment regarding my G4. I went up North past Wayne and see my G4 has automatically changed to site 22 Ramapo. So far I only put in West Orange Site 1. So I take it I need to add another site, Site 22 and the associated frequencies and then when it switches to Site 22 I will still hear whatever is affiliated with Site 22. Correct?

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Correct. However, that site doesn’t carry a lot of traffic. I hear Passaic SO mostly on it. So if you can use Site 01 in your coverage area, you’ll get more traffic.

NParkNJ

On the Road
Yeah, Ramapo is fairly dead.

I’ve heard Fairfield on it(Phase 1 TG’s)

I hear SP Troop B on it rarely.

Also hear DOT maintenance North

Also, JEMSTAR Medevac North. They’ve been active on there past few days.

markjrenna

So to keep it from Roaming from Site 1 West Orange I should not use RFSS ID FF, Site ID FF?

How would it then move to Site 22 if I was out of range of Site 1?

Correct. However, that site doesn’t carry a lot of traffic. I hear Passaic SO mostly on it. So if you can use Site 01 in your coverage area, you’ll get more traffic.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
If you use FF for the RFSS and Site, you will roam to any other available site when your signal drops below a certain threshold...as long as you have the control channel for those other sites in your frequency list. What you should be doing it using the actual RFSS and Site numbers. So if you want to automatically roam to Ramapo when getting out of West Orange coverage areas, program both sites control channels (and alternate controls), then under the site list you would have two rows, RFSS 1 Site 1 Alias West Orange and RFSS 1 Site 22 Alias Ramapo.

For example, I always hear Newark Fire and Elizabeth talkgroups on both West Orange and Union Simulcasts. So, I have one system as NJICS WO/UC. I have both those sites programmed in, and the I have all those talk groups assigned to a knob position labeled NEWARK/ELIZ. So as I drove all over Passaic, Bergen, Essex, Morris, Union etc Counties, I never lose reception and hear everything as it switches between Sites 1 and 7. Now I’d obviously have much better coverage in Oakland, NJ with Site 22 (Ramapo) programmed in and it could easily roam to that site. But those talkgroups hardly ever appear on that site. So if I allow it to switch, yes I’ll have a great signal BUT I won’t hear a peep. You have to know what sites carry what traffic “on a daily basis.”

Now let’s say you ONLY want to hear one site. I have another “system” as NJICS WO. It’s is only the West Orange Site. As you see I have it as a separate system completely. I assign that to a knob position and then add NJSP talkgroups such as B2-4 for Netcong/Totowa and B2-14/B2-15 for Turnpike and GSP North. The reason I don’t add other sites is because if it roams to another site, I won’t hear those talkgroups.

Status
Not open for further replies.