A discone antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyro658

Communications Dispatcher
I currently run a PVC pipe style VHF UHF base antenna. Later this week I will be Adding a Discone antenna. My antenna sits at about 38' from the ground. I am curious how many others in the area use a Discone and how it performs for you.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I use several discones. They work fine if you don't expect them to pull in weak signals from a fringe coverage area. I like their ability to pick up signals coming from above the horizon.

allend

Premium Subscriber
I use two Diamond Discone antenna's and the work really well. They do bring in long distance signals if the antenna is high. Being that its 38 ft up in the air it will work just fine.

They tend to work well all around the bands but work really well on VHF Low Band. The higher the better.

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
I use one in Toms River, I regularly get Nassau County NJ Chrystal clear. I'm about 35 feet up.

Last edited:

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

I agree. While discone antennas are wide band, much of what they cover are not of interest to the average scanner monitor. The Omni-X appears to target bands that would be of interest, (tuned118-137, 148-175 & 225-900 MHz), rather than bringing in interference from just about everything out there. I would think the Omni-X would hold up better in ice/wind storms.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Got a Diamond D3000N discone antenna up on the chimney. Covers from 25 mHz up to 3 gigs.

Nothing not to like about it. Can hear as far away as NYC police in the 470 mHz area regularly, at least 4 - 5 of the NOAA wx channels, taxis in Philly, ATIS from LaGuardia, Philly Int'l airports, works decent on ADS-B, picks up APRS signals very well (I also use it for 2m xmitting), and even pick up some OTA TV with it. Even was able to receive some WEFAX from passing NOAA wx satellites and recently used it to receive xmissions from one of the ham cubesats.

Before the Diamond 3000N, used a Radio Shack discone for many years. The discone's a good, all-round omni-directional wideband antenna for my purposes.

NYRHKY94

+3 on the OmniX. Been using one for several years with very good results across multiple bands, including 700-800 MHz (my main listening area focus). Construction is outstanding for harsh winter/stormy area conditions - mine was located at 35' in New Hampshire for years. Just sharing....

Pyro658

Communications Dispatcher
Thank you guys for the imput I appreciate everyone’s thoughts! It is ready to go up on the roof now should be up by end of week!

Status
Not open for further replies.