Can You H.E.A.R It?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuggyBoo

Hey All,
As you Know its a NJ EMS Requirement to have the H.E.A.R network programmed in the rigs radios.
However, do any hospitals even monitor or use them. I feel like everyone has moved to call in reports via phone. Also, anyone know the deal with the gate to the ER bay at Jersey Shore, we used to be able to key up and have it open but now it doesn't respond with any key ups. Asbury FD will sometimes just drive through it instead of waiting for it to open via the button.

RadioDitch

Signals Identification Member
Premium Subscriber
In North Jersey it's pretty much silent. Valley Hospital is using the twiage app.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Pretty much everybody in Union County uses EMSCharts or just lets ALS make notification through their perspective medical control. For BLS, it's pretty much just show up and talk to the charge nurse. Basically nobody in the Union/Essex/Morris area uses it anymore, sans a few who try and go unanswered.

mondaro

Feed Provider
Hey All,
As you Know its a NJ EMS Requirement to have the H.E.A.R network programmed in the rigs radios.
However, do any hospitals even monitor or use them. I feel like everyone has moved to call in reports via phone. Also, anyone know the deal with the gate to the ER bay at Jersey Shore, we used to be able to key up and have it open but now it doesn't respond with any key ups. Asbury FD will sometimes just drive through it instead of waiting for it to open via the button.

No answer would be NO, I am the communications officer for my EMS agency, every time I get an ambulance inspected by the state one of the first five questions is do you have the JEMS plan if those of you newbies here a quick JEMS 101

JEMS = Jersey Emergency Medical Service

JEMS 1 - Home / Your towns Radio Channel
JEMS 2 - H.E.A.R. = Hospital Emergency Ambulance Radio
JEMS 3 - Statewide Coordination - Staging
JEMS 4 - Statewide Coordination - on use this on-scene coordination.

I have asked numerous times and written to the state, Why to we need JEMS 2 / HEAR if no local hospitals monitor it? NEVER as in NEVER have, I received a coherent answer.

The fact of the matter is your 911 BLS agency is the bastard child of radio communications and we are
on the front line of emergency hospital transport, here are examples of million dollars radio systems in New Jersey that do not include BLS Radio plan

Statewide MICU trunked network - just had a visit to a comm center that is on the network and there base radio was off and clearly marked MICU trunked radio network.

Statewide Trauma Network - listen to radio test by REMCS more then half of the agencies don't even answer up on the test.

HERN Network = Hospital Emergency Radio Network, This more or less replaced the HEAR Radio however again listen to the radio test not many hospitals answer it, Does the BLS ambulances have access to this network the answer is no.

North and South MEDEVAC network - REMCS coordinates the medevac helicopters on this network.

Statewide BLS = Nothing as in Zip !!

In my strong opinion, there should be a Statewide BLS network where every ambulance in the state of New Jersey must have one so if you have to do any type of coordination with any regional communication center you can so it.

I have run into many times in my 36 year career where I needed to reach out to get medics and give a hospital notification and thank god for regional communications centers like REMCS that has bailed me out from time to time especially if I was going to UMDNJ Newark with a patient or Newark Hospital but not every communication center plays nice I have too many examples of that their stock answer is where too busy to answer you.

Maybe someday before I retire smart one will smarten up on the state level and finally tackle this issue and please so-called experts that may reply to this thread say is a money issue we piss away more money on some of these useless grants that are being pushed out, example, there one Hudson County town that has a brand new police boat that has sat in there police lot since the day I got it after 9-11 and was never placed in service.

Sorry for the long answer.

TM.

scannersnstuff

I am going to give Hear a listen,again. With respect to jems4 aka spen 4, I always listen in csq. You never know who may pop up there. My local fire police use it.

In my local area, I've heard Morristown, Chilton, and St. Joes in Wayne all using it. Chilton's usage seems to be the most frequent, although I believe it all goes down to what EMS agency is transporting the patient.

CM1

Premium Subscriber
I'm in central NJ and keep all JEMS frequencies programmed, and occasionally do hear activity on all of them; but nothing like years past.

Makes me really wonder what might really happen if something BIG occurred?

How we would get through it?

There are so many interop./mut aid channels listed in various editions of guides and on different systems I don't think things will go so well (but that's another topic).

There may be a time when our public safety personnel will be glad JEMS and SPEN (and good ol' vhf is still around).

mondaro

Feed Provider
It may come down to the JEMS plan if there is going to be any real interagency coordination.
It's a shame that BLS agencies are not on a statewide radio network especially in the case
of a disaster.

asnhnetwork

well if the BLS don't carry there big state frequencies why should they be given very expensive radios on a statewide network.
I agree all BLS and als should have it. It would be ideal like North Carolina's Viper system where landing zones all have a single channel. it takes some of the danger out of the equation.

ShoreBullets

. Also, anyone know the deal with the gate to the ER bay at Jersey Shore, we used to be able to key up and have it open but now it doesn't respond with any key ups. Asbury FD will sometimes just drive through it instead of waiting for it to open via the button.

As of 604 this morning SPEN 4 opened the gate fine

Status
Not open for further replies.