RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > U.S. Regional Radio Discussion Forums > New Jersey Radio Discussion Forum

New Jersey Radio Discussion Forum - Forum for discussing Radio Information in the State of New Jersey.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2018, 5:18 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

Default Middlesex, Essex, Bergen County fire questions

Hi, I was wondering if someone could give me the low-down on how these counties handle fire comms. I am planning on buffing North Jersey and want to make sense of the jumble. I'm used to my area where a county has 1 trunked system and everyone operates on it. I have several scanners all programmed with all the trunked systems and conventional channels, I'd just like to lock out what we know won't be used. So the question is, for everyday fire activity, do all these conventional channels and municipal trunked systems really get used? Any townships use their systems for backup? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 12-06-2018, 7:59 AM

In Bergen County there is no common trunked system being used for fire communications.

There are a few shared dispatch centers (the County itself operates one of them), but the majority of fire dispatch and fireground communications is handled on the municipal level.

Shared frequencies do exist in some areas, but often unique CTCSS/DCS tones are being deployed.

In short, it's quite a mumbo jumbo.

The RR Database is very accurate; check it before you arrive.
Old 12-06-2018, 8:19 AM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos

I gotta imagine each fire truck has to have like 6 different radios for all this stuff. What a mess. Ok I have it all crammed in the scanners so I'll try to do my best to sift through it all. Fortunately my focus will be the county I am in and the immediate surrounding counties just in case. Thinking Newark and Jersey City are good places to buff...
Old 12-06-2018, 8:20 AM

In Essex County most municipalities use their own fire dispatch frequency for most communications. Newark, Bloomfield and Belleville use the NJICS state system for fire comms. You will definitely want to program the Essex County Mutual Aid frequency (470.5125). Whenever there is a large incident you will hear about it on here when mutual aid is called in.
Old 12-06-2018, 9:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by railtrailbiker View Post
In Bergen County there is no common trunked system being used for fire communications.

There are a few shared dispatch centers (the County itself operates one of them), but the majority of fire dispatch and fireground communications is handled on the municipal level.

Shared frequencies do exist in some areas, but often unique CTCSS/DCS tones are being deployed.

In short, it's quite a mumbo jumbo.

The RR Database is very accurate; check it before you arrive.
Which means to cover just the Fire departments in Bergen takes at least 30+ freq's -
Sponsored links
Old 12-06-2018, 5:39 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
In Essex County most municipalities use their own fire dispatch frequency for most communications. Newark, Bloomfield and Belleville use the NJICS state system for fire comms. You will definitely want to program the Essex County Mutual Aid frequency (470.5125). Whenever there is a large incident you will hear about it on here when mutual aid is called in.
ansky thank you for that!!!! Now I have a question if Belleville,Newark Fire now use the interop system and that mutual aid frequency is analog how do these agencies hear both? Two radios or a radio that is capable of analog and digital? Thank you man if I donít have that frequency in I need to put it in.
Uniden 536 HP Kenwood TS-990-SComet 250-B Diamond D3000N
Old 12-07-2018, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC2OY View Post
ansky thank you for that!!!! Now I have a question if Belleville,Newark Fire now use the interop system and that mutual aid frequency is analog how do these agencies hear both? Two radios or a radio that is capable of analog and digital? Thank you man if I donít have that frequency in I need to put it in.
The Essex County mutual aid channel (470.5125) is only used for the county dispatcher to contact individual towns to request mutual aid coverage. So basically it's just a way for the dispatchers between towns to talk to each other. I have never heard individual fire units using this channel at a fire scene.
Old 12-07-2018, 1:02 PM
  Shack Photos
Shack photos
Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
Amateur Radio Operator
Amateur Radio

Ok thanks
Uniden 536 HP Kenwood TS-990-SComet 250-B Diamond D3000N
Old 12-07-2018, 8:59 PM
  Audio Feed Provider
Audio Feed Provider

In Bergen County at a fire, you can have 3 or 4 different channels being used on different band. It's a mess.

In Jersey City, the FD is dispatched on the TRS system, EMS calls and still alarms all on TRS. Most of the fires with be on their analog UHF channels. 460-5500 FG 2 and 460-6000 FG 3.

It's easier to listen to the fire buffs, when there is a fire the'll put it over the radio. Then you can listen to that FD's channel.