NMSP Radio Zones

Status
Not open for further replies.

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
I have posted a map of the NMSP Radio zones and frequencies used in the NMSP wiki; using the data in the RR NMSP database.

Some of the data was incomplete or confusing about where exactly the zones split.

Certain counties are split between two or more NMSP Radio zones.
In San Doval County I tried to draw a line along the crests of the mountains, but this is the only part of NM that I am familiar with.

The data is especially confusing in Torrance county; which as best I can tell is split between 3 radio districts.

On a mountain near Taos there is a repeater listed, but I can't figure out what its purpose is, which NMSP radio zone or dispatch center it is a part of.

Also, does NMSP have a statewide Channel 3?

If people in the various parts of NM will send me corrections, I will generate a corrected v2.0 of this map and post it as an update.

Also I noticed that there is a lot of interest in the NM Forum about forest fire fighting.
Would anyone like me to generate a similar map for the NM Dept of Foresry/USFS fire fighter radio zones?

SCPD

QRT
I have posted a map of the NMSP Radio zones and frequencies used in the NMSP wiki; using the data in the RR NMSP database.

Some of the data was incomplete or confusing about where exactly the zones split.

Certain counties are split between two or more NMSP Radio zones.
In San Doval County I tried to draw a line along the crests of the mountains, but this is the only part of NM that I am familiar with.

The data is especially confusing in Torrance county; which as best I can tell is split between 3 radio districts.

On a mountain near Taos there is a repeater listed, but I can't figure out what its purpose is, which NMSP radio zone or dispatch center it is a part of.

Also, does NMSP have a statewide Channel 3?

If people in the various parts of NM will send me corrections, I will generate a corrected v2.0 of this map and post it as an update.

Also I noticed that there is a lot of interest in the NM Forum about forest fire fighting.
Would anyone like me to generate a similar map for the NM Dept of Foresry/USFS fire fighter radio zones?

I don't understand how you came up with radio zones that don't follow the district lines. It has been 31 years since I lived in New Mexico, but I try to keep up with developments there. I haven't heard anything about these "radio zones" as you label them. As far as I know it is one frequency pair per district and the lines are as shown on the state police map. I don't think the state uses repeaters on the state police system, although I seem to remember one being used in the Santa Fe area. The state has a good microwave backbone to their sites, which function as remote bases. This was true for State Forestry, NMDOT, Game and Fish and likely some others. I think this is the same situation now.

NMSP radios used to have 154.920 on channel 4. Perhaps they have changed this to channel 3. Are you sure that your information for channel 4 as you have shown it is correct? They used to have the 155.550/155.370 pair in channel one, followed by the district direct and base calling pair, followed by 154.920 in channel 4. I don't recall if my listing of the first three channels is correct. I don't think NALEMARS (155.475) had been developed when I live there.

A map for the dispatching of wildland fire agencies does not need to be developed. The Southwest Geographic Coordination Center (GACC) has a map posted on its website. Here is the link:

SWCC | Report-A-Fire

Most of the websites of each of the 11 GACC's have a similar map. Somewhere there is a map of all the western dispatch zones. Nationwide there are about 105 of these zones. Do a search for NIFC, the National Interagency Fire Center and there will be links to each GACC. There is a link to national and state dispatch zones map on the NIFC site or one of the GACC sites. If you have an interest in western dispatch zones looking this map series would be useful. Sorry I don't have a URL for it.

The New Mexico State Forestry Division is split into these zones for dispatching purposes and most of the time the dispatch zones don't match up with their district boundaries. They have quite a few situations where there isn't any state land so the splits are not necessarily detrimental. BLM Districts don't always line up with the dispatch zones either. How the dispatch zone boundaries were determined is something I don't know. It would seem that national forest dispatch offices remained and the lines were drawn so as not to split up a national forest, followed by trying to draw lines as close to BLM Districts as is possible.

As for NMSP, members who live in New Mexico know more than I.

ai8o

Brachiating Tetrapod
NMSP RADIO Zones

<<<<<It has been 31 years since I lived in New Mexico.>>>>>>

In 31 years a few things can change.

<<<<<<I don't understand how you came up with radio zones that don't follow the district lines.>>>>>
I have posted a map of the NMSP Radio zones using the data in the RR NMSP wiki database.

<<<<<<I haven't heard anything about these "radio zones" as you label them>>>>>>
In 31 years a few things can change.
I developed the map using the data in the RR NMSP wiki database.

<<<<<I don't think the state uses repeaters on the state police system,>>>>>>
in the RR NMSP database On a mountain near Taos, there is a repeater listed.

<<<<<<<<for dispatching purposes and most of the time the dispatch zones don't match up with their district boundaries.>>>>>>>
Exactly, in the RR NMSP database,Some of the data was incomplete or confusing about where exactly the dispatch zones split.

<<<<<<<<Are you sure that your information for channel 4 as you have shown it is correct? >>>>>>>
I used the data in the RR NMSP wiki database,Some of the data was incomplete or conflicting.

<<<<<<<A map for the dispatching of wildland fire agencies does not need to be developed. The Southwest Geographic Coordination Center (GACC) has a map posted on its website. Here is the link:

SWCC | Report-A-Fire>>>>>>>>

OK, telling me what doesn't need to be done isn't effective. Why not post this data or a link in the NM Wiki?

I don't want Flames or harsh words.
I am trying to be useful here, not act like the dog in the manger.

Send me corrected data, and , I will generate a corrected v2.0 of this map and post it as an update.

SCPD

QRT
We are not understanding each other here. I can't figure out why you draw "radio zones" that are different from the district boundaries of the New Mexico State Police. For example you show, by using the color tan, that D8 extends into Socorro County, shown in blue. This extension into Socorro County shows a curved line that is more than half way across (east-west) the county. It is the drawing of this curved line that I don't understand. I don't see anything in the license data indicating that this curved line should be drawn. I don't understand the term "radio zone." I've not seen the term used before. As far as I know, radio frequency use corresponds with district boundaries and districts are not split up between two dispatch centers.

The FCC license data for KRO437 shows a remote base station on Socorro Mountain, just west of the town of Socorro, on 155.580. This mountain is on the state's microwave linking backbone. The western boundary of D11 (Socorro District) is the Arizona state line. D11 also has remote bases on Davenport Peak (northwest of the town of Datil), Magnus Mountain (south of Quemado) and Caballo Peak (south of Truth or Consequences). Those four locations provide coverage for the entire district. Interestingly enough, the license for Caballo Peak shows a control point of Santa Fe.

I lived in Magdalena, 27 miles west of Socorro and worked on the southernmost portions of the Cibola National Forest, these portions being 4 land areas that are located in Socorro, Catron and Sierra Counties. I drove to and within those 4 land areas several times per week with a scanner in the USFS truck. Of the four remote bases I regularly heard 3 of them and know that Socorro, not Santa Fe, dispatches the Sierra County portion of D11. My position with the Cibola National Forest included the administration of special use permits and electronic sites are authorized by this type of permit. I had access to a lot of data and understood how the systems worked. The FCC licenses are the same as they were when I was there.

The license data shown in the RR database have some bugs. Sometimes data from other licenses gets included on the license data you are viewing. I don't pay much attention to license listing in RR database, I just use it to link quickly to the actual FCC license data. The FCC license does not always reflect reality either. Even though Socorro uses Caballo Peak, the license shows a control point in Santa Fe. This is not unusual as licenses, of which the State of New Mexico has approximately 835, can contain authorization duplications and mistakes. The people in charge of overseeing a communications system might see that the authorization for a particular electronic site for one frequency may have expired so they tack it on another license application that is about to be sent in. The result might be that an application for renewal is about to go in that covers D8 headquarted in Alamogordo and a remote base up near Raton is found to have an expired license or is newly installed and there is a problem with the license that was supposed to have been issued, even though the APCO coordination was completed. They might add that to the Alamogordo application quickly, not really needing to worry if it is on the correct license, but that it has an authorization somewhere. I don't see this much in the licenses for California, but New Mexico is a different place and was more prone to errors when I lived there. Bottom line, you can't take the control point listed on a license as the dispatch location for a given electronic site and frequency.

One other possibility is a dispatch center having the frequencies of adjacent districts shown on its own license. With microwave linking one dispatch center might be able to work the radio network for another district in case the other dispatch center has a failure due to a power outage or a disaster event. The NMSP headquarters in Santa Fe might have the ability to work every district network in the state for the same reasons.

I've written all of this just in case you have concluded, based on the control points shown on the FCC licenses, that a dispatch center in an adjacent district actually dispatches a portion of another district. If that is not how you drew these radio zones, then I'm at a loss as to how you drew these lines.

The repeater near Santa Fe is, as I indicated, the only one used by the New Mexico State Police as far as I know. The RR database listing shows a repeater being used in D7 in Taos County, but when you click on the license you find only fixed bases (FB) listed and if you access the actual FCC license you find the same. There are two possibilities, one the site is not a repeater, or two, it is a repeater that RR members have heard and state communications personnel forgot to change the FB listings to FB2 on their latest applications relative to that license, didn't want to bother with the as the input and output frequencies are already licensed or it got mixed up in the shuffle of administering 835 licenses.

I did not mean to flame you or use harsh words in my prior post and when I reread my previous post I don't see where I did that. I was asking direct questions of how you determined what a "radio zone" is. As you replied "I developed the map using the data in the RR wiki database" and did not mention specifics, I had to guess how to address that and did so above.

The database shows listings for Channels 1,2 and 4. As for Channel 3, my guess would be that the district frequency pair is programmed in that channel. Since the other channels are not the district channel I think it is a good guess.

I hope this helps sir. Again I'm hoping someone that live in New Mexico will weigh in on these issues. We are both living quite some distance from New Mexico and the observations of locals would be quite valuable.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
You also used the term "radio zone" when referring to wildland fire in the state. The actual term used is "interagency communications center" or something similar such as emergency coordination center or emergency command center. A given dispatch center will have many different agencies to provide service for including National Parks, National Forests, BLM districts, National Wildlife Refuges, Indian reservations (or Indian Nations such as the Navajo Nation) and state forestry districts. Some even dispatch for state fish and wildlife agencies. These dispatch centers use the radio nets of each of these jurisdictions. When broadcasting such things as the weather, fire danger and the incident management situation report they may do so simultaneously over the nets of each agency. Many centers simulcast all dispatches, whether a particular agency is going to respond or not.

I provided a link to the comm center in the southwest and mentioned there were 105 of them in the west. Here is a link to that information:

GACC >Logistics/Dispatch

I don't understand wiki as well as you and I'm not sure I can figure out how to add these maps. I will give it a try when I get some time.

Lastly and back to the NMSP, the way to update your map is to follow the listings in the database showing the frequency for each district, draw district boundaries according to the official map available on the NMSP website and show those district frequencies within each district.

Here is the link to the best NMSP map available, just in case you need it.

http://www.nmsp.dps.state.nm.us/docs/NMSP_District_Map.pdf

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I noticed an error in one of my posts. The electronic site just west of Socorro is on "M" Mountain, not Socorro Mountain. I just looked at the licenses issued to Socorro County, which showed that the only mountaintop site they employ is M Mountain. That site does not provide coverage to the west side of the Magdalena Mountains or the south or west San Mateo Mountains.

The state systems cover these areas via Davenport (Datil) and Caballo near T or C. It is interesting that the county does not.

I guess this is off topic, but I wanted to point out that the state's coverage is far superior to the county's.

Status
Not open for further replies.