APD EDACS question

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsmath

I got myself a Uniden BCD996XT digital trunking scanner for Christmas.

I know before my purchase about APD and provoice and how it's not supported by the scanner, but I am curious about one thing that I thought I'd see happening but isn't.

With APD using the EDACS system, why is my uniden not displaying left and right with 04-xxx group IDs for all the chatter that APD must be doing? I'd expect that unless APD is using an unpublished EDACS trunk grouping, I should be seeing 04-xxx talkgroups show up frequently, my radio tuned to that momentary frequency, and the audio be a buzzing/data-sounding burst that represents the provoice component of the transmission.

I get an occasional 04-023 talkgroup showing up in one of the three city of albuquerque EDACS trunks I've programmed in and the audio is data-like sound when momentarily active.

Thanks for any answers to my curiosity question.

MrAstroSaber

Walkie Talkie Man
I am not really sure as I don't play much with scanners but I did get a batch of radios and all were to be provice and I found one that was not. Still have it also lol. Anyways I dumped the program into it to see what it would do as it was still an edacs radio after all. Did nothing. Would not even display the radios GR or radio number like the rest. So I can only guess that the reason your not getting any talk groups is because they are 100% provoice now. They use to be a mixed system with some of the radios in provoice and the dispatchers where not. Like I said its only a guess.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Most new scanners are coded to ignore provoice TG's however, everyone once and a while the scanner will miss some bits of the CC and try to follow a TG thinking it's analog, however, once it gets there and listens in (this is where you might here some digital noise) the scanner figures out it's provoice and returns to the control channel.

you stated that you have all three EDACS systems programmed into the scanner. You should be able to monitor the City Services EDACS system just fine, and if you can't hear this system, the radio is programmed correctly.

n7jei

Premium Subscriber
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.5; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/GRJ90) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

ABQ fire dispatch is still analog (dispatcher only).

rsmath

didn't realize most scanners are programmed to ignore provoice TG's. My uniden BCD996XT seems to be one of those radios because seeing a 04-xxx TG with data-sounding transmission is quite rare.

I wish the feature could be disabled so you could see the TG's active on the channel (even if the voice is provoice encrypted as I'd like to see what PD TG's are most often used even though you won't be able to hear the comm.

no problems with any of the 3 city systems (hearing analog AFD dispatch or city services) or even monitoring a local APCO-25 trunk that is not licensed to albuquerque/bernco government so it looks like I learned and upgraded from a Pro-2067 to this one really quickly especially since the uniden is light years ahead of the 2067 in capability.

abqscan

DataBase Administrator
Since you want to see whats going on, I would suggest you download Unitrunker

Unitrunker

It's great software that will decode the CC and give you a visual picture of every channel on the system, plus show you what TG's are active and what radio is using it. It will also log all the TG's on the system which is helpful when trying to figure out new TG's.

What P25 trunking system are you referring to that your can hear?

rsmath

What P25 trunking system are you referring to that your can hear?

ok, I'll check out unitrunker.

as for the P25 system, it's the kirtland/sandia one.

my new BCD996XT works great on it, the pro-2067 will trunk it but of course you get to the hear the data-sounding transmissions instead of voice because the 2067 is not P25 compatible.

Status
Not open for further replies.