Fire tones, What are they, and why are they used?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wahoos4Life

So since I got my new digital scanner Ive been listening to the fire departments a lot more

and have been wondering what exactly are these TONES that are sent out

and why?

Last edited by a moderator:

RayAir

If you haven't already read ^ , the tones set off the Minitor pagers fire personnel carry. When the Minitor receives the proper tones, it alerts by rapidly beeping and then the Minitor's squelch opens up and the dispatch call comes through.

The purpose of being able to program fire tones on a scanner is to prevent your scanner from receiving other departments on that frequency or other transmission not related to the dispatch call. It's been a while since I had a Minitor, but I think you can press a button on the pager to turn off the Alert only (tone-out) function. It then operates like a scanner or receiver.

alanlungs2

Tones

Tones are used for more then setting off pagers.. Then sound sirens, Horn, turn on lights in stations.

avfd2922

The tones are used for voice pagers which is the main way most volunteer firefighters are alerted to emergencys. They are also used to alert manned firestations. Some are even setup to open the bay doors and turn on lights inside the stations.

Eng74

The tones are used for voice pagers which is the main way most volunteer firefighters are alerted to emergencys. They are also used to alert manned firestations. Some are even setup to open the bay doors and turn on lights inside the stations. Sure you already have your answer but the others are kinda funny though. Hmmmm, tones or tons.

I know most stations that have the tone out set up to open the bay doors that switch always get thrown so it does not happen. If you are out in the area or they do an "all call" the doors open and then the station is open and things start walking away.

W6KRU

I know most stations that have the tone out set up to open the bay doors that switch always get thrown so it does not happen. If you are out in the area or they do an "all call" the doors open and then the station is open and things start walking away.

That's pretty sad but says a lot. :evil:

Status
Not open for further replies.