New guy here got a radio shack triple tucking scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

scannernut09

Ok i am new here and i just got this scanner my old one get stolen. I have so many questions about this one i do not know were 2 start. Could somebody who knows how 2 work this thing tell me in simple terms wat the features are, can i put the name of the police station that the frequency is on, and i need help programming it also. Thanks!!!

captclint

Mentor
And where are you located: State, County, and city please. From this we can see what types of systems you may have in your area.

scannernut09

It is a radio shack triple trucking radio scanner is wat the box says, i live in nebraska but i live in thayer county, and now i am in clay country claycenter nebraska.

loumaag

Silent Key - Aug 2014
It is a radio shack triple trucking radio scanner is wat the box says, i live in nebraska but i live in thayer county, and now i am in clay country claycenter nebraska.
I think what the folks are asking is what specific model of scanner is it? If it's from RS, it probably is a PRO-???.

Astrak

Yes you can alpha tag or name channels, check out the database for Thayer county frequencies, there is only like 5 frequencies listed in the database for the county, then check out NSP under statewide frequencies. You might also need to use a service search if your scanner has that and look for other frequencies that you might be interested in listening to.

captclint

Mentor
i live in nebraska but i live in thayer county, and now i am in clay country claycenter nebraska.
In case you do not know where to look, click on DATABASE, then click on your state Then Go to County and select either Clay or Thayer. Unfortunately, there is not much there in either county. As was suggested, on the same page, select Nebraska State Agencies and then you can look at all of the state agencies, which have more data. All are conventional, which means it should be easier to program.
You may find the info in http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/GRE/RS_Object_Oriented_Scanners_FAQ helpful to understand Object Oriented programming. Be sure to click on all the links

Last edited:

scannernut09

Ok guys thanks, but i am wondering when i put the frequency for the state patrol and i want 2 hear that hebron tower could i put hebron tower in as a txt to id that frequency?

captclint

Mentor
Ok guys thanks, but i am wondering when i put the frequency for the state patrol and i want 2 hear that hebron tower could i put hebron tower in as a txt to id that frequency?
Yes, as mentioned, that would be an Alpha Tag limited to 12 or 16 characters. This is very helpful to have, so do use it.

Last edited:

scannernut09

ok i put in some frequencies and i also put in the SAME codes also. Now if i am scanning through my regular frequencies and a weather watch gets issued will it stop the scan, or do i have to monitor the weather stations all the time?

W6KRU

You have to be monitoring the weather channels all of the time because if the scanner misses part of the SAME codes it will not give an alert.

w8jjr

Premium Subscriber
ok i put in some frequencies and i also put in the SAME codes also. Now if i am scanning through my regular frequencies and a weather watch gets issued will it stop the scan, or do i have to monitor the weather stations all the time?

If you have it in WX pri mode it should catch the 1050 hz tone. It will not do SAME decoding while the radio is scanning.

Astrak

While in priority mode the scanner will periodically break away from normal scanning and check whatever you have set as a priority frequency, you'll only notice a little blip in the action. If you have a the local NOAA weather radio frequency programmed in your priority channel it will check that periodically for the 1050hz tone and if the scanner hears one it will break away from scanning and alert you to the weather warning/watches/tests.

scannernut09

Hey thanks man, is their anyway u can talk me through that how 2 set it up? Also i am listening 2 the state patrol and all i get is the dispatcher um i am in claycenter and idk wat tower it is bounching off of so if someone could help me out thanks!!! You guys r really helping me out alot here this scanner is completely different to my uniden bearcat handheld one.

Astrak

With NSP you'll more than likely just hear the dispatcher unless a unit is nearby and transmitting. Somebody in the Nebraska forum would be able to help you better with NSP. You should just be able to go to the bank and channel you want to store a frequency in then press PGM+the frequency you want+ENT if you want to add an alpha tag press TEXT then enter your text then ENT. Then press up and repeat. To program WX priority press PGM+PRI then enter the frequency for your NOAA weather channel there then ENT if you want something else as priority just enter that frequency. I don't have a 163 but I think that's pretty much common way of programming conventional frequencies in an RS scanner.

scannernut09

ok so if i put in the weather frequency won't i just b listening to the weather all the time? And if i am then wat is the point of having the same codes then?

Status
Not open for further replies.