BR330T identifier numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

haworthfire

I was wondering if i put the PL's into the scanner, if the identifier numbers will show up? like 102 for car 102 and 161 for engine 161.

w8jjr

Premium Subscriber
I was wondering if i put the PL's into the scanner, if the identifier numbers will show up? like 102 for car 102 and 161 for engine 161.

No Pl's are not used that way.
CTCSS (Continuous Tone Coded Squelch System) (PL) is a system that is used to avoid interference between separate agencies within close proximity to each other using the same frequency. Each radio for a particular agency is programmed with a CTCSS code so that only those radios can hear and talk with each other and not a neighboring agency.

The system involves an industry standard set of sub-audible tones for controlling radios and associated equipment. The sub-audible tone is added to the transmitted signal. The receiving radio is then set up to listen for this specific tone in the received and demodulated audio. If the matching tone is present, the squelch is opened up, allowing the audio to pass through to the speaker. If the tone is not present, then the radio remains silent, even though there is a signal on the frequency. This allows two or more agencies to use the same frequency (generally on a repeater), but not hear each other's conversations.

CTCSS is also called "PL Tone" and is the Motorola Proprietary name for CTCSS. Several other companies have marketed their own brands of CTCSS under different names including "Channel Guard", "Quiet Channel", "Quiet Mode", and "Private Mode".

DCS on the other hand stands for Digitally Controlled Squelch. It is also called DPL or Digital Private Line and Digital Channel Guard. DCS is a digital code that is sent to open the squelch just like the tone does in CTCSS.

Closest thing in a scanner is radio ID available on the newest GRE and Radio Shack scanners.

rvictor

does any company make a scanner that can ID a PL for a particular frequency?
Most of the current models will allow you to set a tone for a particular frequency so that you only hear the transmissions that are using that tone. Some also allow you to set a tone for a particular frequency so that you will hear all transmissions except those that are using that tone.

Similarly, most of the current models can identify the tone that is being used on a particular frequency.

Dick

ampulman

Quikie related questions

If 2 nearby agencies, operating on the same frequency, but with different tones, transmit at the exact moment, will the 2 transmissions 'beat' against each other and produce a 'combined', perhaps unintelligible signal?

Also, would the stronger of the two signals wipe out the other?

Amp

Status
Not open for further replies.