I'm new and confused!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spaz10

First of all I'd like to say Thanks ahead of time for a site like this and any help I receive!! Here's my question, I just recently bought the Uniden BCT8 and I was told that this unit should pickup the MARCS system being used here in Ashtabula, Ohio but all this TRUNKING and TALK GROUPS have me so confused that I'm completely lost. I've always had a scanner since I was a teenager, a Bearcat portable with actual crystals, but all this new tech stuff has me lost. My goal is to be able to listen to Ohio State Patrol, Ashtabula County Sheriff's Department, and then all the rest of the locals. Maybe even the prison in Conneaut? I worked there for 5 years before leaving.
Anyhow, I'd appreciate any assistance I could get.

Spaz10

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Firstly Spaz, welcome. As to trunking - before I go into anything, keep in mind that anything in blue on this site represents a link.

Go to the blue toolbar under the logo, and float your mouse over WIKI. Select 'trunking' from the pulldown. The overview section has 2 links for basics and a tutorial - the last one is a PDF, so you will need Adobe acrobat to read it. Both articles should get you started.

If memory serves - and Ohio folks can jump in here - the MARCS system is digital, and the BCT8 won't deal with that. However, Ashtabula county is another thing. For now, just bookmark this URL - our database has the stuff for your county...

Ashtabula County, Ohio (OH) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Finally I'd strongly recommend going to the Ohio forum and making yourself known. There's no better help then local help. 73 Mike

mdulrich

Feed Provider
Correct, MARCS is digital and your scanner will not work. To monitor OSP and the prisons you will need one the newer digital scanners.

Mike

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
OK so back to the wiki we go - click on 'Radio Models' then click on 'Digital Trunktrackers' near the top of the article. This lists all the current (and previous) models. Be sure to go to the Ohio forum for feedback on which one(s) seem to work the best in that area 73 Mike

KI6ABZ

Premium Subscriber
I can enthusiastically recommend the Radio Shack/GRE digital scanners. I have a GRE PSR-600 and the Radio Shack Pro-106. GRE makes the Radio Shack scanners, so the functionality is identical. However, GRE throws in exras that Radio Shack dosn't.

Unless one is on sale, the GRE version is a better deal, since it includes the programming cable.

Strangely enough, my favorite feature of these radios is the new user interface. It's SO much easier to program and use than the old models.

Also, the Win500 programming software is VERY useful, especially when setting up complex systems.

steveh552

I had a Pro96 for a short time and it was great to listen to the OSP, I mainly wanted to here MedFlight, but was not able to unless they were in the area. Get a digital scanner and you will be able to hear OSP and such, most of the state agencies are on MARCS which is digital, so your trunktracker wont help much.

qlajlu

Silent Key
I can enthusiastically recommend the Radio Shack/GRE digital scanners. I have a GRE PSR-600 and the Radio Shack Pro-106. GRE makes the Radio Shack scanners, so the functionality is identical. However, GRE throws in exras that Radio Shack dosn't.

Unless one is on sale, the GRE version is a better deal, since it includes the programming cable.

Strangely enough, my favorite feature of these radios is the new user interface. It's SO much easier to program and use than the old models.

Also, the Win500 programming software is VERY useful, especially when setting up complex systems.

If you follow the suggestion of KI6ABZ and use WIN500 for the program to import your system(s) take a look at this help file.

Following all the suggestions offered in this thread will have you up and running like you had never left the hobby.

Spaz10

Thanks!!

Hey, I just wanted to say THANKS to everyone who replied!! I got some good news from you and then some bad news!! Of course the bad news was that my NEW BCT8 won't do what I was told it would do so now I have to come up with the 'fundage' for the digital. At least the new scanner has more channels than all 3 of the scanners I have been using put together. Does anybody have any suggestions on a site for a digital scanner? They all seem to be quite expensive so far.

Spaz10

Status
Not open for further replies.