New user - some questions and looking for a scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnPed

Hi guys! I'm completely new to the 'scanning hobby'. I did a Google search for 'scanner forum' and this is the first that came out. The site seemed quite populated so I have decided to come here and ask my questions. Hope you guys don't mind.

I live in Los Angeles, CA and the main purpose of me buying a scanner is to listen to live air traffic control from Los Angeles International Airport. Normally, I would go to liveatc.net and listen from there but the feed has been down for more than 2 weeks now. Maybe, if possible or allowed, I want to be able to listen to the local police/fire department dispatch, whatever its supposed to be called. Finally, the last thing I would also use it for is to setup a feed at liveatc.net. Those are the only things I'm going to be doing with a scanner. All this for $150 max possible?

I saw a feed setup picture from the guy that hosts the LAX feed and he had antenna outside his home. Will a scanner require this? I don't know if its possible considering I live in an apartment.

Topic in question is here:

KLAX feed Set up pics: part deux | LiveATC.net

Thanks in advance.

scanner99

Premium Subscriber
I am also located in LA what is the exact city you are in. With that information i can tell you in detail about what you what you will be able to hear. First with just a plain analog scanner which you can find on the internet for about 100 bucks you could listen to air traffic control. All the airport stuff even the Maintenance at the airport. Airport police is easy to pick up. You will also be able to listen to LAFD LACFD LASO. LAPD is not able to be listen to without a digital scanner. If you ever need any help with the scanner in the future just send me a PM and i can help you. I am located in the WEST LA area. What city are you in?

AnPed

I live in the Wilshire area; also known as Koreatown. About a 10 min. drive east on the 10 freeway

I've looked around and the Uniden BC-350C looks nice. Is that any good?

w8jjr

Premium Subscriber
Just fyi Your going to have to be real close to airport to hear the tower and ground. Those signals are directed skyward.

AnPed

I live... oh about 10 miles away, I estimate. I heard that I'm gonna need a antenna to get clear sound from the controllers. Is this possible on a apartment? I live on the highest (3rd floor)...

hawk51

OMG this is so cool, I didn't know you could do this. I am listening to Denver Int. approach!!!

Is there any other websites you can suggest?

Nasby

The BC350C is a decent scanner but rather dated and limited in channels and features. There are much better choices. One example is the Radio Shack PRO-97. Although it's been discontinued, there are plenty available on ebay and in the for sale forums. With $150.00 to spend, you should be able to find a scanner with over 500 channels, alpha tags (shows the name of what you are listening to in the screen, not just the frequency, ie. "airport police"), analog trunking, computer programmable, etc. The BC350C does not have these features. Take a look on the WIKI page here and you will be able to compare the various scanners along with the features they have.
Good Luck!!

qlajlu

Silent Key
Welcome to RR.com, ARMEDnPISSED​

You have come to the right place to have questions like yours answered and you have already been given some very good advice, however, the subject of your location has come up several times.

I urge you to return to your User CP (the left side of the second blue bar from the top of any page if you are logged in) and edit your profile to include your location (city and state) as requested in the material e-mailed to you when you registered. Once you fill in your location it will automatically show in each of your posts. Many of the questions you will have, and their answers, are going to be location specific and without having your location showing you will be asked over and over again what it is. So fill it in now and be done with it.

Again, welcome to the best Web site for help in the radio and scanner hobbies!

Status
Not open for further replies.