Suggestions Needed!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SPLBASS17

I have been interested in Radios since I was a kid when I got my first CB Walkie-Talkie and I'm now 25. I was away Active Duty Army all over the place but now that I'm back home attending college I would like to get back into the hobby. I bought a big cb linear a year ago remembering how all the loud guys had them when I used to mess around with CB as a kid but was disappointed that no one seems to use CBs in the area anymore (Berlin, NJ). Plus if I did find someone they seemed to be a red-neck lol, I guess I never realized it when I was younger.

I'm thinking now a scanner is the way to go. I don't know much about them so I have a lot of reading ahead of me on this forum but in the mean time I was wondering if someone can point me in the right direction. Are there some very common models that most beginners start with? I want it to pick up trunked systems because the NJ State Police are trunked and my other main interest is being able to monitor air-craft + portable so definitely handheld. If I want range in the future Ill look into home/mobile antennas.

So what’s the general price range that handheld trunked system capable scanners start at? I don't mind saving to buy a real good one, I figure if you get a good one once you won’t need to buy multiple models in the future. I also recently bought one of those really small net-books so some software would be cool to run it with.

Any suggestions? Sorry If I sound like a noob, I'm not trying to be lazy. I'm definitely willing to put in a lot of time doing the research and learning but a point in the right direction would certainly help. Thanks!

SPLBASS17

Budget is $500 right now, I can sell a Gibson Les Paul I never play anymore to make it a $1,500 Budget if that would make a big difference in performance?

Marpat

Hello and welcome to the forums. You are definitely in the right place. You will receive lots of help from the friendly folks here, so I'll let them chime in as I know they will.

I just wanted to welcome you, thank you sincerely for your service, and also make a simple suggestion.

NEVER SELL A LES PAUL!!! Don't do it.

My knowledge is very limited, but I can tell you that if you have a $500.00 budget currently, you are right in the vicinity for picking up a nice digital scanner, once you get the input you are looking for and shop around...let the madness begin!

:cool:

Marpat

SPLBASS17

Thanks for the welcome. HAHAHAHA yea I know all about how you shouldn't ever sell your Les Paul. I sold one years ago, not even for a good reason, and I google the model once and a while to see how much they are worth these days and it kills me to see it almost doubled in price in 8 yrs! Turns it the Double Cut Customs are rare cause they never caught on.

Anyway I noticed your signature, "GRE PSR-500", its funny I was just looking at them when I noticed I had a response to my post. I also see lots of awesome reviews on the BDC-396T. Man these things have changed alot since I last had one in 8th Grade lol.

SPLBASS17

I think I'm definitly going with the BCD396XT. Its hard not to order it right now, I'll wait a few days lol

Status
Not open for further replies.